Platform surfaces, specifically Slaters paving

I am looking at the options available for surfacing my platforms. I did try wet n dry paper painted a tarmac colour....it looked great, but unfortunately the cold atmosphere in the loft has ruled out paper or card construction. It was fine during the Summer months, but has lifted and unstuck itself over the colder and no doubt damper Winter period.

So, I picked up a few sheets of Slaters plasticard paving to try. This might seem like a bit of a silly question, but I was wondering if there is a particular way in which paving slabs are normally laid? Not something I have ever taken notice of before! I enclose a picture of how I have done the 1st sheet. No doubt it will be the wrong way around.......

8449093436_7aa811b2d7_b.jpg

I'm no expert on paving, it certainly looks like the the real thing overall.

See here http://www.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/394560139/ for a prototype.

The only minor diference that I can see compared to the above example, is that the first row of slabs are either full or half size, and appear to slope downwards towards the centreline of the platform (presumably to some sort of drainage arrangement), but that could entail a lot of extra modelling effort for a relatively small imrovement in appearance.

By the way, I like your track in the platform road nearest the camera, looks entirely real.

Steve.

The only minor diference that I can see compared to the above example, is that the first row of slabs are either full or half size,

Aren't those represented by Lee's lighter yellow slabs?... and when painted they'll all blend nicely together.

Aren't those represented by Lee's lighter yellow slabs?... and when painted they'll all blend nicely together.

If you look closely at the linked Flickr photo, there is a front row of standard size slabs before the serrated rows start.

You mean the ones with the white stripe painted along the edge? I'm suggesting they'd be the light yellow ones on Lee's platform, so the arrangement he has is pretty much right... notwithsatnding they do have a slightly different proportion.

• RMweb Gold

Odd coincidence but I took the picture below yesterday afternoon - it is almost exactly opposite the spot seen in the pic linked above but looking in the opposite direction and of course the platform edge shown in the linked pic is the opposite face of the platform from where I am standing.  The face on the right of this picture has had the original edging slabs replaced with cast slabs but basically to the same size and they are - going on brick counts - approximately 3feet long (along the platform edge) but approximately half that dimension in width and I'm reasonably sure that they are larger than the slabs behind them towards the centre of the platform.

Usually on GW platforms the stone edging slabs and their older cast concrete replacements - tended to be larger than the slabs further into the platform area.

Alas the scene has changed quite a bit since the linked picture was taken :O 

post-6859-0-25739400-1360163190_thumb.jpg

As Stationmasters photo shows, the slabs face across the platform but are not always exactly half-lap. Platforms were something I was replacing late last year on the Greenfield layout and it was only then that I looked a real platforms and realized I had laid slabs the wrong way previously. Platform edging slabs looked to have been larger and more substancial though and were laid lengthways. It is wisest to look at photos of platforms as they were during the period being modelled baring in mind that the steam age was over 40 years ago.

Archived