Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Morning all,

Thanks Don and Andy - my reference to the loft earlier was aimed at the fact that Joanna wants me to empty them of what she calls 'your junk'!

I have already roughed out a plan for a layout representing tha character of Hurlford MPD, with Barleith halt on the Darvel branch and the busy mineral sidings. This should fit in an L shape across the end wall of the garage. The first module is well into the design stage (the coaling stage with turntable and ash pits!) but first I have to clear the space and then use e-bay and auction houses to raise the necessary funds! Thank you so much for your kind thoughts, I promise I will listen to my body and stop when it tells me!

Kind regards,

Jock.

As mentioned last week in the Asylum (at great personal risk of detention for mentioning  :locomotive:) my granddaughter made her first kit. I had to do any sharp knife things of course, an she fetched the sticking plaster and played nurse as required ..

It came free with the toddler some time ago and she found it in my bits box. With a bit of help from me she added a chimney and covered the awful "tiles" on the original. Over the last couple of Sunday afternoons she's painted it using Revell, Vallejo and Railmatch acrylics.

She's very pleased with it and I'm amazed how well she's done with very little help from me. If she can do this at six years old,  I think I can sit back and watch in a few years.

Edited to add: cruel close up with cr*@ppy phone camera

post-19433-0-40588700-1432557043_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

For fear of receiving 6 of the best I'm replying to James and Jeff here rather than end up getting expelled from the Asylum (Strange in itself, as most would wish exactly that(theme from the Great Escape in my head)). 

Anyway we're discussing the size of layouts either side of the pond! We are definitely spoilt for space over here. You should see the Rogue Valley Model Railroad Club's layout! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwHfrnLf-U4
Here's the gallery on their web site. http://rvmrc.net/gallery/gallery1.htm

My space is 23'x19' and here's what I want to put in it. Apologies  for the poor photo, it's still a work in progress. 

post-8964-0-14323500-1432605907_thumb.jpg

The layout will be sectional purely for ease of wiring and doing the scenery! When I've finished extending and revamping Goathland, Queensbury will be my next project. 

The idea behind Grim-up-North is to have trains make proper journeys or just watch them on the roundy, roundy, roundy. Yes three times around the room!

Have definitely bitten off more than I can chew. It's a life time dream only made possible by the space I have over here!

Squatch. Going for a walk in the woods, I'll see ya next month!

Morning Shaun, that look's like MORE tan a lifetimes work to me matey, but really looking forward to the Pics, The Book, the Video, and finally the Movie. I always fancied that sort of working and with tree laps of the room that's good but have a I missed a fiddle yard, or is that along the bottom of the plan?

Talking of books, John Flann, (Hintock in the Layouts section) has just had his Layout serialised into an on line book format by his Son Christopher,

http://www.hintockbranch.com/ and its looking really good. John originally from our own fair Dorset has done a splendid job of re creating the past in true Peter Denny style and it works so well, its well worth a look.

Have a good day Gang.

All this talk of big layouts reminds me of my own 'opus' "Leigh Moor and Randale Summit" in 00 - that was 27' by 9' housed in my 32' x 12' shed.

It was based in northern England and had not many distinguishing features so I felt able to run British, American and European trains on it but as my interests started to change, I felt it was actually too 'English' for my foreign muck and sold it!

To further compound my 'guilt' I then gave most of my shed to the wife for her beading, to be fair she uses it to make money and I've still got my 'test track' all the way round.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think my interests have finally settled down and I'm thinking of going into my loft/attic where I have 22' x 9' of usable space.

My good lady, Bev supports this idea even to the extent of spending real money on getting the loft converted and insulated and getting a proper access way and hatch fitted.

May I have your thoughts on this please, folks?

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Premium

I think my local club The Model Railroad Club of Union has an even bigger HO layout at approx 100’ by 50’    - I still don’t like it, however..................

Best, Pete.

Morning Pete.

Do you think the layout's just too large or do you think it's not been well designed?

5000 square feet wouldn't go amiss with an O gauge layout!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of big layouts reminds me of my own 'opus' "Leigh Moor and Randale Summit" in 00 - that was 27' by 9' housed in my 32' x 12' shed.

It was based in northern England and had not many distinguishing features so I felt able to run British, American and European trains on it but as my interests started to change, I felt it was actually too 'English' for my foreign muck and sold it!

To further compound my 'guilt' I then gave most of my shed to the wife for her beading, to be fair she uses it to make money and I've still got my 'test track' all the way round.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think my interests have finally settled down and I'm thinking of going into my loft/attic where I have 22' x 9' of usable space.

My good lady, Bev supports this idea even to the extent of spending real money on getting the loft converted and insulated and getting a proper access way and hatch fitted.

Cheers,

John.

John, you've been saying that since you set-up the S&C section around 4 years ago!

My thoughts are twofold. First, if you have the potential, money and wife support to convert your loft - go for it, provided you are comfortable with the access arrangements (ie. stairs - think long-term). Second, get yourself a single-focus, preferably S&C, and get cracking!

Sounds like you're in a good position, so make the most of it.

Jeff

Cheers,

John.

Hi John, two things come to mind, the first being that despite our minds, our body's DO NOT get younger as the years go by, and so by the time the planning has been completed, then the conversion work, then the baseboards, you MAY NOT  be fit enough to either climb the ladder or crawl under to wire and fit point motors. The second thing is, if you do decide to go down that route, get a decent Fire Extinguisher, I had a Florescent Light catch fire in my loft, and it was the one above the escape hatch, I dropped like a Fireman down a pole when I saw what had happened. 

Either way it would be good so see yet another Lunester Layout.

All the best to you and Bev.

Morning Pete.

Do you think the layout's just too large or do you think it's not been well designed?

Jeff

Or.

The complete Settle and Carlisle in N GAUGE. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

Morning Pete.

Jeff

To be honest it just looks like a hodge-podge of random scenes tagged on as the fancy took them. An impression not helped by the spray-gun video technique but a little more consistancy or concentrating on a small number of (still sizable) layouts to cover the range of interests of the members seems to be needed!

Now Jeff! Seeing that Andy's already mentioned it how about extending the Bunker to include Leeds and Carlisle? :scratchhead:

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Or.

The complete Settle and Carlisle in N GAUGE. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

Hee hee. The track plan would be relatively simple. But can you even begin to imagine the (literally) mountains of scenic work!!

Mind you, I think I'd enjoy cutting and fitting all the WOOD that was needed. And Andy could come along and do all the GRASS!!  :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

To be honest it just looks like a hodge-podge of random scenes tagged on as the fancy took them. An impression not helped by the spray-gun video technique but a little more consistancy or concentrating on a small number of (still sizable) layouts to cover the range of interests of the members seems to be needed!

Now Jeff! Seeing that Andy's already mentioned it how about extending the Bunker to include Leeds and Carlisle? :scratchhead:

Regards

Bill

Can you imagine what it'd feel like to have such a huge space? On the one hand, exhilarating. On the other hand, intimidating.

As for garden size, there's only so much space that anyone can deal with in a reasonable time span. However, I suppose I'd be able to buy a few bunk-beds and "recruit" a few Lunesters to the project with the promise of free accommodation!! We can but dream.

In the meantime, there's KL2 to begin...

Jeff

The only layout I ever really completed was about 5' x 16" plus fiddle yards. It got completed three times! 

OO (Farish Liveway), in about 1975, then ripped up and relaid in P4 around 1977-79, when it was Joe Brooke-Smith ply & rivets all the way and everything hand built. Ah the joys of youth(ish) ..  Then I realised that I would never actually get it all running before I was 50, because I just couldn't get the stock converted.

So I ripped it all up and rebuilt it in OO,  lost the will to live and gave it to a kid down the road who ran it for about 5 years.

Now despite my longing to build a model of pre 1900 Heeley (before track widening rebuild) which would have to be huge, I am currently trying to get planning permission from the powers that be to build a three baseboard, modular job 10'6" x 18" layout. Maximum length due to tiny rooms room, maximum width due to the projected storage area. And unless being worked on / operated it would have to be stored.

Until then it's negotiating some driving time on my granddaughters put together as required on the floor "layout" (The words sweetshop and new wagons are useful in this situation). 

Can you imagine what it'd feel like to have such a huge space? On the one hand, exhilarating. On the other hand, intimididating.

As for garden size, there's only so much space that anyone can deal with in a reasonable time span. However, I suppose I'd be able to buy a few bunk-beds and "recruit" a few Lunesters to the project with the promise of free accommodation!! We can but dream.

In the meantime, there's KL2 to begin...

Jeff

Interestingly enough Jeff I did and the first thing that sprang to mind was a terminus to fiddleyard along the length of one wall. It must be the English mindset! Mind you it would include all the stations and scenery betwixt here and there so it would still take a fair crew to build the track and bring it all up to a decent standard on the scenic side, and run it in prototypical manner! As for the rest of the space, well the mind boggles. Perhaps I could buy one of the redundant SR-71 Blackbirds to give me something pretty to look at while I was planning the next shunting move! That rooms roughly the same size as the hangers they kept them in!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly enough Jeff I did and the first thing that sprang to mind was a terminus to fiddleyard along the length of one wall. It must be the English mindset! Mind you it would include all the stations and scenery betwixt here and there so it would still take a fair crew to build the track and bring it all up to a decent standard on the scenic side, and run it in prototypical manner! As for the rest of the space, well the mind boggles. Perhaps I could buy one of the redundant SR-71 Blackbirds to give me something pretty to look at while I was planning the next shunting move! That rooms roughly the same size as the hangers they kept them in!

Regards

Bill

That would still be one hell of a layout! 100' of operation..... Jason's Bacup has about 15', and look what he achieved!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

In considering the discussion above about large layouts I thought about possible additional space for what I was planning and looked out the map for a possible extension to my currently planned Newcastle Emlyn. The current NE is in the top left corner...

post-13426-0-22275800-1432658736_thumb.gif

It should fit in a space of about 160m by 40m. So the Olympic stadium may suffice. Go on, click on the image to see it in close up. You know you want to ;)

Of course, more realistically it only has four stations if I ignore Pentrecourt Platform (which was just a platform!), so the bits in between can be out of sight connections. But even that is quite a task given my current progress. So for now I think I should stick to just NE :)

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

Morning Shaun, that look's like MORE tan a lifetimes work to me matey, but really looking forward to the Pics, The Book, the Video, and finally the Movie. I always fancied that sort of working and with tree laps of the room that's good but have a I missed a fiddle yard, or is that along the bottom of the plan?

Have a good day Gang.

No you didn't miss it! There are 2-3 sets of storage loops, two are  hidden behind the scenic sections to the left and bottom and the third is a staging area behind the loco depot.  This section needs rearranging.  It might be noted that I don't intend to run trains any longer than 6 coaches.

Trains will be able to leave the terminus and travel either way around the layout to any other station or holding loop (effectively going of stage) and then continue back to where they started.

or I could have 5 trains just running indefinitely. 4 going round and one back and forth!

The top half of the layout is to be a mill town based on towns in the West Riding where the two roundy roundys converge in a four track mainline that splits in to two lines that depart the scene over two viaducts with canal and goods line below. (I too like shunting!!)

• RMweb Gold

Jock,

I am pleased to hear your news, you really did not want to be moving with all the hassles that entails.

As for the modelling.  I have coaches, trucks, engines, station, plans, time table plus a history which I did in preparation for my narrow gauge railway which is now waiting for my 00 layout to be built.  It gave me some modelling to do when there was no hope of actually starting a layout and it will be used sometime.  Find something(s) to build, coaches, wagons, water towers or whatever.  Nothing too big which when the layout finally gets there you find will not fit.  There may be kits, or if you are brave enough, plasticard is not too expensive and you could scratch build.  The cottage that I am building and have been for the last several years may still be for the 009 layout, but it will be finished and I will have got a sense of achievement from it.

Enjoy your modelling.

• RMweb Gold

John,

If your wife is paying, go for it.  It will cost and you will need a proper staircase.  You will need to stick with one prototype, unless of course it mainly goes through countryside and all the buildings, trees, hedgerows, cars and people are removable.  ;)

Hee hee. The track plan would be relatively simple. But can you even begin to imagine the (literally) mountains of scenic work!!

Mind you, I think I'd enjoy cutting and fitting all the WOOD that was needed. And Andy could come along and do all the GRASS!!  :O  :O

Jeff

And you would have to take on ALL the dry stone walling :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

John.

John,

The loft may be the best place but just do not go on running too late at night because every movement sounds like an elephant in the bedroom below ... hence mine is now in the garage with a concrete floor!

Cheers, Peter 

• RMweb Premium

And you would have to take on ALL the dry stone walling :jester:  :jester:

I'd forgotten all about that bit!

Took me long enough last time and I vowed to make a better job with KL2. Oh well, yet another challenge.

Jeff

Archived