Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Yes Jim. Get on with it, man! And listen to Rush while you're working!

Jeff

Sir! Sir! he's bullying me. Oh hang you are Sir :O

Lads! Lads ( and Lass) he's bullying me.

Hi Jeff I would listen to Rush if the other half was not watching a couple of films, maybe later if she goes for a sleep,Oo no, that'd wake her up :nono: .

Construction in progress, new framework being built.

Jim (bullied & harassed into modelling Lune).

Re spelling, Our Granddaughter came home from school one day after my Wife had corrected the spelling mistakes in her essay, and said the TEACHER had said don't worry about spelling mistakes that doesn't mater. :O :no: :nono: :O :no: :nono:

This is one area of schooling that really frustrates me along with bad grammer and bad punctuation.

I have to admit that I am not a stickler for it on here, but how can you do any job when you can't spell, use correct grammer and punctuation. Talk about changing the meaning of everything. :O  :no:  :banghead:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

This is one area of schooling that really frustrates me along with bad grammer and bad punctuation.

I have to admit that I am not a stickler for it on here, but how can you do any job when you can't spell, use correct grammer and punctuation. Talk about changing the meaning of everything. :O  :no:  :banghead:

Duncan

I totally agree. I used to use MSN Messenger a lot, lapsing into the jargon and "speak" used there. The number of misinterpretations in conversations was ridiculous.

I text a lot. However, many people ask - and prefer - the message written out long-hand ("properly" as they would say) with correct grammar - and even paragraphing!

If people have a spelling problem, that's fine - as long as they don't assume the rest of us will change the way we communicate.

I hope Andy doesn't get a hang-up about this. It wouldn't be Andy without all those Bodgitisms....  :O  :O  :sungum:  :sungum:  And Smileys!

NOT trying to be self-righteous Lune!

• RMweb Premium

Sir! Sir! he's bullying me. Oh hang you are Sir :O

Lads! Lads ( and Lass) he's bullying me.

Hi Jeff I would listen to Rush if the other half was not watching a couple of films, maybe later if she goes for a sleep,Oo no, that'd wake her up :nono: .

Construction in progress, new framework being built.

Jim (bullied & harassed into modelling Lune).

Sorry Jim. Just reverting to my Victorian style of teaching.... In the corner, dunce!

Enjoy your modelling. I often forget that others may have to be considerate to other people in a household. I'm currently playing David Bowie.... "fairly" loud!!

Jeff

Duncan

Standards old boy, standards! Must keep them up, what.

Major Grumpy Gruffalo, 94th Patagonian Hussars.

You are absolutely right. There are far too many examples of slapdash use of the language that result in confusion. The memsahib had several instances in solicitors' communications recently when selling her late parent's house . What is the world coming too (crawls back under his stone). :paint:

Sorry Jim. Just reverting to my Victorian style of teaching.... In the corner, dunce!

Enjoy your modelling. I often forget that others may have to be considerate to other people in a household. I'm currently playing David Bowie.... "fairly" loud!!

Jeff

I kn ow the feeling. I've only got the neighbours to upset these days.

Duncan

Standards old boy, standards! Must keep them up, what.

Major Grumpy Gruffalo, 94th Patagonian Hussars.

You are absolutely right. There are far too many examples of slapdash use of the language that result in confusion. The memsahib had several instances in solicitors' communications recently when selling her late parent's house . What is the world coming too (crawls back under his stone). :paint:

I know the feeling. My mother was an old style legal secretary. Not only was ALL my homework checked, she has had recent dealings with the new breed of legal secretary's and is seriously not impressed.

Duncan

I totally agree. I used to use MSN Messenger a lot, lapsing into the jargon and "speak" used there. The number of misinterpretations in conversations was ridiculous.

I text a lot. However, many people ask - and prefer - the message written out long-hand ("properly" as they would say) with correct grammar - and even paragraphing!

If people have a spelling problem, that's fine - as long as they don't assume the rest of us will change the way we communicate.

I hope Andy doesn't get a hang-up about this. It wouldn't be Andy without all those Bodgitisms....  :O  :O  :sungum:  :sungum:  And Smileys!

NOT trying to be self-righteous Lune!

Hi Jeff, My wife says I drive her mad by keep saying HOW DO YOU SPEELL............, bum, done it again. :no: 

My spelling at school was atrocious but I had a good job in car sales and I was the top Sales Executive in the Wadham Kenning group (now Inchcape) in 1981, and have a nice trophy to prove it.(I did have a gold ingot and pen set but they were stolen in a break in). I then progressed to Business and Finance Manager and always got by, by not being afraid to ask the question.

Bodgit the unstopable :sungum:

Andy

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

The majority of people, like yourself who didn't do well at spelling while in education tend to ask the question.

Nowadays, as spelling isn't corrected at school, the ones that do have a problem aren't aware and don't know when to ask.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I won't get any further involved in this discussion. As an ex-teacher you might expect me to stick-up for the profession.

Not a bit of it. General standard of SPG is simply appalling. That's my contribution.

At the present rate, we'll be a third world country in 50 years.

Jeff

I won't get any further involved in this discussion. As an ex-teacher you might expect me to stick-up for the profession.

Not a bit of it. General standard of SPG is simply appalling. That's my contribution.

Jeff

Jeff

I for one, would not expect that.

From the discussions on here, I would have been upset if you had 'followed the party line' if you believed otherwise.

I've been going through some of my past documentation as part of the process for checking my CV again. One comment stood out when I read it. 'He is forthright in his views'. Is that good or bad? I'm not entirely sure. But, from what I have read, I believe you would tend to fit into a similar category.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Duncan, you are correct. I like to be "up front". If I'm wrong about something - which I frequently am - I'll hold my hand up, apologise if necessary, change if that's needed.

But I will argue a case - hopefully with facts to back it - if I believe in something. I respect people's views if they have conviction and enjoy a good discussion.

Constructive criticism, with alternatives, is the way forward. Seems to be the way the Lunesters work. 

Very pleased for all the guidance they've generated...

The general standard of literacy and numeracy may have improved based on exam performance, but employers will tell you quite the opposite. Ok, I'll shut up!

Jeff

I know the feeling. My mother was an old style legal secretary. Not only was ALL my homework checked, she has had recent dealings with the new breed of legal secretary's and is seriously not impressed.

Duncan

It's not my spilling that's the problem, it's my pismronounciation.

Jeff

Jeff, I do not give us 50 years! We pander to the lowest common denominator in so many areas, not just schooling, look at TV programmes or ready-meals in the supermarkets as examples of how pernicious the spread has become. Far east Asian children are already two years more educationally advanced than ours at the age of 15 according to one educational foundation and yet I hear teachers saying how wonderful it is that their school uses 32 different languages. Surely we can only successfully teach (except languages) in the most common single language in the country?

The majority of children are not taught FULL British history and the impact on the rest of the world, geography to the point where they know the location of major towns and cities or how to use a map, how to cook basic meals, hoe to carry out basic research on any subject that interests them etc.

Some would say that these parts of education should be explored at home and to some extent I would agree especialy when cooking is involved. But, the vast majority of parents haven't been taught this knowledge or the skills. That is where I believe the education system has fundementally failed.

Because you can buy ready made pastry from the shop. people don't know how to make it. It is also cheaper to buy ready made meals (although with more additives) than it is to properly make a healthy, properly cooked meal. If parents are asked by their children about a subject that they don't know the answer to, they reply that the child should look it up on the internet rather than helping and encouraging them and learning themselves.

One final thing. There was a report in the press recently that teenagers reading skills revert to that of a 7 or 8 year old. I believe that this is a result of not reading proper books or having been read them by their parents at an early age.

These are my views only

Rant over.

Duncan

Duncan, you are correct. I like to be "up front". If I'm wrong about something - which I frequently am - I'll hold my hand up, apologise if necessary, change if that's needed.

But I will argue a case - hopefully with facts to back it - if I believe in something. I respect people's views if they have conviction and enjoy a good discussion.

Constructive criticism, with alternatives, is the way forward. Seems to be the way the Lunesters work. 

Very pleased for all the guidance they've generated...

The general standard of literacy and numeracy may have improved based on exam performance, but employers will tell you quite the opposite. Ok, I'll shut up!

Jeff

If you had read the details of our house as provided by Your Move Estate Agents, a National Company, you would not have believed you eyes. My wife corrected no less that 5 spelling mistake and also the sentence, = This three bedroomed detatched house has four good sized bedrooms :no: hahahhaaa

Bodgit

Jeff, I do not give us 50 years! We pander to the lowest common denominator in so many areas, not just schooling, look at TV programmes or ready-meals in the supermarkets as examples of how pernicious the spread has become. Far east Asian children are already two years more educationally advanced than ours at the age of 15 according to one educational foundation and yet I hear teachers saying how wonderful it is that their school uses 32 different languages. Surely we can only successfully teach (except languages) in the most common single language in the country?

I have a distant cousin who is a Head Master of a Yorkshire school with 19 languages and interpreters :no:

Botbig :sungum:

If you had read the details of our house as provided by Your Move Estate Agents, a National Company, you would not have believed you eyes. My wife corrected no less that 5 spelling mistake and also the sentence, = This three bedroomed detatched house has four good sized bedrooms :no: hahahhaaa

Bodgit

What also worries me is, if it had been proof read, who was the muppet that let it get printed?

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Bodgit

You ARE joking!!!! That is a total classic. Every schoolboy these days knows that a 3 bedroom house has FIVE bedrheums.....!!  :O  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Yes RANT OVER, subject closed, with Jeff's permission :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Hey, you lot don't need my permission for anything. Keep the topics coming - the more the merrier.

But beware, Andy. If Duncan's "muppet" is selling your house, make sure he doesn't sell it for a "good price" and give it away due to bad arithmetic....

"I used to be good at sums.... But now I've left skool, fings just DON'T ADD UP!!!!"   :no:  :scratchhead:

Jeff

As you're aware, I've had fun this week doing some temp work. The fun bit was listening to some of the conversations. The youngsters hadn't got a clue about the subjects they were talking about. Those are the conversations that I could understand and didn't have 'like' or swearing at least once per sentence.

Duncan

Archived