Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Yes Clive, I think reading between the LINES (sorry about that) that is what Jeff originally set the Lounge up for, CHECK OUT POST #1 for Jeff's original comments.

And no sausage talk in my new thread Banger Hill, Porkchester, Snortington Lane, Pigloo Sidings, please Clive, hahahhah. :no:  :no: :no:  

Mr P

You are as rotten as a half eaten Knackwurst. :beee:

Edit .....I do like the name Banger Hill

I'm fine with two Lounges Jeff.

..and here is the first of several 'dark satanic mills'-type views of 1903 railways.  Should of course be b+w to be authentic, but what can you do?  :)

Been tracking down photos of genuine GNR carriages so I can add something resembling them to pics. It's a hard life.

Not.

post-7929-0-84494400-1430615704_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Mr P

You are as rotten as a half eaten Knackwurst. :beee:

Edit .....I do like the name Banger Hill

Good name for a layout, eh, Clive?

Can't see Andy following your advice, though!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

IMPORTANT NOTICE

From this point onwards, please use the existing Lunester Lounge for RAILWAY-related topics ONLY.

All general discussion stuff should go into the New Lounge. This is in the S&C section - so it's as easy to find as this thread!

Please have a look at post #1 of the New Lounge. And I'm open to suggestions on a better name - please put your ideas into the new thread.

Thanks for your patience with my messing around.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff,

Your calm guidance and generosity have made this a very nice place to share things, thoughts, in my case pics.

Winter coming on down here, single figure temps, good for making photos of RTR models methinks!  Still stuck on the C1 Atlantic, trying to find out when the GNR started using triple articulated carriages, and whether a six-wheeler is likely behind 251 in 1903-5 condition.

Cheers,

Rob

In the meantime, two pics of the very end of BR steam, in a sense...  71000 Duke of Gloucester...  just to remind us of pure beauty of form.

post-7929-0-24669100-1430689463_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-85334800-1430689526_thumb.jpg

In the style of hand-coloured images on post-cards and cigarette cards...

not to mention railway posters...

Great Northern Railway 1903.

post-7929-0-98559700-1430696930_thumb.jpg

edited to add headlamps... !   (groan, why do I always forget?)

Rob

IMPORTANT NOTICE

From this point onwards, please use the existing Lunester Lounge for RAILWAY-related topics ONLY.

All general discussion stuff should go into the New Lounge. This is in the S&C section - so it's as easy to find as this thread!

Please have a look at post #1 of the New Lounge. And I'm open to suggestions on a better name - please put your ideas into the new thread.

Thanks for your patience with my messing around.

Jeff

Jeff - a hotlink on this post could be handy...  :-)

• RMweb Premium

251 with the Quad art set looks fabulous Rob. Your pictures of this locomotive have urged me to put some items up for sale to raise the funds for this engine!

Regards Shaun. 

251 with the Quad art set looks fabulous Rob. Your pictures of this locomotive have urged me to put some items up for sale to raise the funds for this engine!

Regards Shaun. 

Thankyou Shaun,  to further whet your appetite...

Age of steam, 1903,  before superheating was proven...?

...free-breathing designs with ample grates and boilers were understood at least by Ivatt. And it's a simply lovely model from the NRM and Bachmann.  I do enjoy the 'dark satanic mills' look!  :)

post-7929-0-35578600-1430705042_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Rob, good to see that you haven't got lost between platforms as a new Lounge is introduced in the station area!!

I'm hoping there'll be as much feedback and railway comment on here as there used to be - I don't see why not.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've found platform 9 3/4. Where am I meant to be

No idea, Duncan. Two Lounges is currently disorienting me, and with Rob taking us back to 1901 and engineering work on the line, I'm as lost as you are.

Oh, look out, Malfoy's behind you.........

Jeff 

No idea, Duncan. Two Lounges is currently disorienting me, and with Rob taking us back to 1901 and engineering work on the line, I'm as lost as you are.

Oh, look out, Malfoy's behind you.........

Jeff 

When Ivatt designed the GNR C1 large Atlantic there was no superheating in common use, no powered flight, cars were rare and 12mph. Around the world in 80 days?   Pah.

There hadn't been a Boxer Rebellion in China, the Boers would soon submit, French people were ok but far too foreign, the Royal Navy ruled the seas, as did maritime law, and all was well in the Empire.... 

O V S Bulleid was still in the colonies.

The 'Race to the North' showed how fast trains might go.

...and here was a machine which could sustain 80+mph !

Who cared if gas inertia , valve overlap, and boundary-lubrication were still not well-understood, the metallurgists and boiler-makers of the day knew a lot!  And were learning more...

post-7929-0-48003900-1430802486_thumb.jpg

Rule Britannia!

• RMweb Premium

Following a vote for the name of this, the "old" Lounge, the original name "Lunester Lounge" has proved an outright (and landslide) winner.

Results are posted in the New Lounge, page 4 post #94.

Not much railway activity on here. Even Rob has gone to sleep!

Jeff

Following a vote for the name of this, the "old" Lounge, the original name "Lunester Lounge" has proved an outright (and landslide) winner.

Results are posted in the New Lounge, page 4 post #94.

Not much railway activity on here. Even Rob has gone to sleep!

Jeff

No, just busy, buying and photographing models of proper engines, today a rare Bulleid Light Pacific original condition 34074 '46 Squadron'. The model is rare, 2004 train pack, I must have been lucky, £76.

46 Squadron was formed in 1916 and had Sopwith Camels by 1917, took quite high losses. Re-formed in 1938 it was a part of the Battle of Britain with Hurricanes (I think) again heavy losses at the point where Britain was losing more than it could replace, a long story as you probably know.

Then it did a lot of high-risk naval flying in the Mediterranean, like landing on ships without deceleration wires, and taking off on ships at the ship's maximum speed to just get enough lift, dark days, again, heavy losses. Also very early night flying to and from ships in 1943.

So I did this quick portrait, in respect for the men of 46 Squadron..

post-7929-0-51274200-1431042233_thumb.jpg

Many friends of mine had parents who served in the RAF., and I knew a man who had been on the Malta Convoy in 1942 and survived (Merchant Navy, oil tanker).

Best,

Rob

. . . . . Busy . . . photographing models of proper engines, today a rare Bulleid Light Pacific original condition 34074 '46 Squadron'. . . . 

So I did this quick portrait, in respect for the men of 46 Squadron.

attachicon.gif34074_Bob_Bulleid_Light_Pacific_3ab_r1200.jpg

Rob, I have to say that this picture really brings out my love of trains and planes, and my respect for those who piloted both.

End of BR steam 1968....   44781 with lowered top lamp bracket and looks good, lovely model too. You can't give 'em away on Ebay...

post-7929-0-30187100-1431218794_thumb.jpg

Another much-overlooked Hornby model and one for which have an irrational liking is the Fowler 2-6-4T...  there was one for sale this morning, new, for £60 so I bought it, nobody else bid... 

This is the only factory-weathered version Hornby ever made, (or I suspect will ever make).

I have doctored it to be, correctly in this pic., in reverse gear, a pet 'detail' of mine!  :)

post-7929-0-56877700-1431219474_thumb.jpg

So all is well in the autumn weather here.

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Good timing, as I have made a start on the Black Five Brassmasters detailing of the below (the tender was done a while ago. Not the best shots as I will reserve them for Bacup but here are a couple of snaps of the front end with the brass overlay buffer beam on, cylinder front and valves, and the frames added (although as I blackened the brass before fitting it, you may mot spot those). I have also been messing around with the sprung rear driving axle, to bring the nose down - the buffers sut too high on them.

Comet bogie with Gibson wheels on view too:

post-9707-0-38223800-1431247832_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-03514000-1431247849_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I'm keeping my Black Fives locked away from Jason. Every time he sees them, or they get mentioned in conversation, I see the "surgeon's look" in his eyes - the desire to start cutting bits off them and perform his well-honed plastic surgery techniques on them!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Resistance is futile Jeff, you will succumb one of these days. The Hornby model is good but can be made great with not too much work.

I don't doubt that you're right. The thing is, I'm quite happy with the model as it is with absolutely no desire to improve it. Even if you point out some incongruity I don't think it'd bother me TOO much (unless it was modelled with a wheel missing or was presented as 0-6-0 when it should have been 2-10-0!!!!!)

I know how you think and work and your approach to modelling is first-class. But your still not getting your hands on 'em!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

Archived