Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Resistance is futile Jeff, you will succumb one of these days. The Hornby model is good but can be made great with not too much work.

To me the most glaring faults in the originals are ride height at front, bogie wheels crude, eccentric crank wrong on fireman's side usually, and smokebox front and tender frames a bit toylike, there are injector details too,  but like Jeff I rather accept things. 

Of course back in the 60s when there were hundreds still working they were just part of the scenery...   I presume the north has lost that industrial bleakness nowadays?

I have just lost a long post with attachments by hitting some incorrect key.  Often happens with RMweb and my fumbling typing.

It says it is 'auto saved' as I type, but THERE IS NO WAY TO FIND OUT WHERE IT IS SAVED.   

arrrrrggggghhhhh

It says in 'About Auto Saved' (clicking on 'auto saved' at bottom of typing window)

"As you type, the text editor content is automatically saved so that if you had to reload this page you can restore what you've written so far."

What use is that if it is nowhere to be found?

Drives me nuts.

Here are the two photos I loaded,

make you own captions, I'm too exhausted.

post-7929-0-65459500-1431297634_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-71029600-1431297679_thumb.jpg

also did this of a pristine Duchess, yesterday...

post-7929-0-74597200-1431297865_thumb.jpg

but today I think am LMS red engine ....  after another cup of tea.  

I have just lost a long post with attachments by hitting some incorrect key.  Often happens with RMweb and my fumbling typing.

It says it is 'auto saved' as I type, but THERE IS NO WAY TO FIND OUT WHERE IT IS SAVED.   

It says in 'About Auto Saved' (clicking on 'auto saved' at bottom of typing window)

"As you type, the text editor content is automatically saved so that if you had to reload this page you can restore what you've written so far."

What use is that if it is nowhere to be found?

What you have to do is reload the entire page, scroll down to start a new post, put your cursor in the text box, then click "View Auto Saved Content" where earlier it said, "Auto Saved at such-and-such-a-time."

Hope that helps - I just did it with this post to test, might help for you to do a test as well . . . .

Cheers,

William

What you have to do is reload the entire page, scroll down to start a new post, put your cursor in the text box, then click "View Auto Saved Content" where earlier it said, "Auto Saved at such-and-such-a-time."

Hope that helps - I just did it with this post to test, might help for you to do a test as well . . . .

Cheers,

William

Many thanks for that tip William.  :sungum:

I once had a long post disappear, since then I have always composed what I thought would be long replies in a text editor, then copied and pasted here.  Now I know the auto save option exists that will save messing around in the future.  Well, I guess it has always existed but being light text I have never noticed it before, perhaps an icon on the top would be more appropriate and easier to see for oldies with failing eyesight like me. :senile:

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for that tip William.  :sungum:

I once had a long post disappear, since then I have always composed what I thought would be long replies in a text editor, then copied and pasted here.  Now I know the auto save option exists that will save messing around in the future.  Well, I guess it has always existed but being light text I have never noticed it before, perhaps an icon on the top would be more appropriate and easier to see for oldies with failing eyesight like me. :senile:

It certainly works as I use it all the time given my lousy typing and keyboard skills in general - I've lost count of how many posts I've screwed up then thaked the software designers for the feature.  I often had similar problems at work and their software had no such sophistication, so I often had to do a retype.

Now, back to the railway related topics....

Cheers,

William

Thank you and it makes sense, now.

Re-loading the entire page is the magic part...  well, logical if you had a brain which worked in binary number only...    :)

Thank you and it makes sense, now.

Re-loading the entire page is the magic part...  well, logical if you had a brain which worked in binary number only...    :)

testing and testing again and cannot get any reference to auto-saving.  ah, no, it is auto saved now.  AND without reloading the page I have a 'view auto saved content' and an invitation to re-load it....

Confused?  I am. But have a better idea about how to react next time I accidentally wipe out a long script.

So I will move quickly along and advise that while I nearly bought another Duchess our dollar has dropped  about 5% against the Pound since your election result, but mostly I blame the French. So I haven't bought it.

Busy with LMS pics again today but here is one I did a few months ago which some may remember . More  Eastern Region. Is it catching?

post-7929-0-87083000-1431380692_thumb.jpg

Best to all,

Rob   (in a reply to myself...  I really AM losing it!   )

Avoided another Fowler pic for one day and got hit by Stanier-disease; two engine portraits, first, superb engines, the Stanier 'Black 5's... several pics of various versions may be coming up. Here is a tidier version of an old pic of 45190. Several others on hand, 5000, 5036, 45253, 44762, 45458, 44781, various boilers and details, mostly weathered. Always a pleasure to make pictures of these engines.

I like the look of these engines so much, like Jeff I forgive the model's shortcomings.

post-7929-0-67941100-1431501508_thumb.jpg

The above is a nicely-weathered 2010-11 version.

Last year Hornby did made an LMS 6234  'Duchess of Abercorn', with late 1938 double chimney, and today I bought a BR-updated conversion, primarily numbers, tender emblem and deflectors, some other things no doubt, I made a bigger front cab window and generally made the thing look better than it deserves, 46234 in approx. 1958 condition... probably ought to have a speedo but it STILL looks great!   :)  This is the one Jan bought since I was banned.

post-7929-0-81948800-1431501885_thumb.jpg

I also bought a weathered 46245 'City of London' in a fit of recklessness.  Is there an antidote?  Should I care?

I think not. I just have to imagine Jeff building stone monuments and collecting experimental Bartok tone poems, and suddenly I feel very ordinary.....

Best,

Rob

Good God!!!

How things have changed since August 1935! Did many people really talk like that or was that "BBC English"!?!

Regarding the engineering, having been on visits to Derby works in the 70's and 80's I'd say that quite a lot had actually stayed the same even up to that point - amazing really.

I remember seeing modern units being assembled at Litchurch Lane works in the early 2000's and things were SO different then, not much was made "in house" it was mainly simply assembled.

Still needed plenty of skill though!

Cheers for that, Mick,

John.

Good God!!!

How things have changed since August 1935! Did many people really talk like that or was that "BBC English"!?!

Regarding the engineering, having been on visits to Derby works in the 70's and 80's I'd say that quite a lot had actually stayed the same even up to that point - amazing really.

I remember seeing modern units being assembled at Litchurch Lane works in the early 2000's and things were SO different then, not much was made "in house" it was mainly simply assembled.

Still needed plenty of skill though!

Cheers for that, Mick,

John.

Looking back to the 60's when I started work in engineering, health and safety was pretty abismal, but seeing that film it looked like something from a horror movie.  Risk assessment, whats risk assessment? just get on with the job you're paid to do and stop complaining :senile:

Great film I visited Wolverton Works in the seventies and much of the work was still done the same as they did in the film ,that big fella with the hammer was someone you wouldn't argue with but its sad that many of the trades are lost forever......... 

Morning all,

Love the Black 5 and Duchess Rob, although the beauty that rolls out at the end of 'mick's splendid video shades it for me. As an engineer who studied thermodynamics, I found it totally fascinating! Your H&E comments took me back to the repair facilities at Hurlford67B where, as a kid, I lived in the railway accommodation adjoining the shed in the fifties. Possibly because my dad was well thought of as a driver who understood and took care of their locos, the engineering staff took to me and I was shown all sorts of fairly heavy repair jobs from close up, such as welding the cracks in Black5 and Jubilee frames or complete overhauls of the 2P fleet as well as many others - I wouldn't be allowed near the gate nowadays! Strange how the engineers in the film all seemed to wear flat caps as most of our lads still did in the fifties. Expect it's a bit less stressful screwing the current motorised boxes together. Thanks for sharing it with us mick - can you advise me of an easy way to copy it to my PC (Windows with IE) or, better still, burn it to a disc to keep?

Kind regards,

Jock.

You must spend all of your time making these pictures, Rob.

It's a shame you didn't have a layout to provide lots of useful backgrounds for them.

Jeff

I don't mind not having a layout, messy things, gather dust, occupy space, .. not like a shelf-or-two with boxes.  :)

I discovered with cold horror yesterday that ALL my 9 BR Black 5s are weathered!  So I bought this, ...

I can add scenery with various photo-editing methods but it takes time, and I do love the engines mostly. I will bear your thoughts in mind, though.

Next I am planning a full shed portrait of early Black 5 5036 in lined LMS black complete with vacuum pump on crosshead. Hornby rather brilliantly got boilers and fireboxes and chimneys right on all their models of Black 5s, even if there are other details not quite up to scratch.

44668 has sloping-grate firebox and forward-feed boiler, and short chimney, correctly.

post-7929-0-28346000-1431563777_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

p.s.  scenery, what about this?

post-7929-0-52366600-1431564203_thumb.jpg

Rob,

Lovely shots as ever. Is that the latest Hornby Black 5? It looks like the boiler is still moulded to the footplate from the pic so quite a lot of modification to put that right but otherwise the proportions look good? IMHO, Mr Stanier was a fine artist!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if we'll ever see any photos of diesels from Rob,?

Go on - we know you really want to! How about a beautiful class 70?

Please don't choke on your breakfast, Rob!

Jeff

Rob,

Lovely shots as ever. Is that the latest Hornby Black 5? It looks like the boiler is still moulded to the footplate from the pic so quite a lot of modification to put that right but otherwise the proportions look good? IMHO, Mr Stanier was a fine artist!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Indeed, the boiler and footplate are one, yet boiler fittings, firebox and chimney vary from model to model.  I shall apply shadows where appropriate, if I remember, in future!

Not so obvious from this angle.

post-7929-0-99856800-1431637688_thumb.jpg

And Jeff, I don't mind diesels but have no great interest in photographing models of them, don't know why, perhaps it's because they need to be part of a landscape?  Speaking of which, it would be hard for me to do a layout which was 'right' for Edwardian trains, Garratts and my beloved Bulleids all at the same time!   :)

That said, a mid 60s Southern Region shed scene would be my choice.

Rob

Archived