Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Continuing the L.M.S. theme.  How to make a locomotive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=903&v=aHIEudnoRYU

I just found time to watch this excellent film thankyou Mick.

My mother and father met in 1938 at the Hutt Railway workshops near Wellington where all the work in the film was done, building 2-cylinder 4-8-4s among other things, and I visited in the late 50s when 'A-grade' overhauls of steam were still normal.

The foundry work conditions are a bit of an eye-opener!  And the room for fine judgement, and error!

Rob

Rob,

Lovely shots as ever. Is that the latest Hornby Black 5? It looks like the boiler is still moulded to the footplate from the pic so quite a lot of modification to put that right but otherwise the proportions look good? IMHO, Mr Stanier was a fine artist!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Yes Jock the Hornby Black 5 is pretty much the same set of tools from 2002, here is a 2009-10 version forward feed boiler etc, 45458...  attractive engines, certainly!

I seem to have accumulated a few of these lovely Hornby models. The three volume (so far) Irwell books on the Black 5s give a lot of esoteric detail and are great, covering 45000-45074, 45057-45224, and 45225-45471, quite a few still to cover, but the basic story is there. 

post-7929-0-01222200-1431644832_thumb.jpg

Rob

Many thanks for that Rob, I've had many a footplate ride on those, possibly the most memorable being Carlisle to Stranraer!

You've brought the memories back to life mate!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Many thanks for that Rob, I've had many a footplate ride on those, possibly the most memorable being Carlisle to Stranraer!

You've brought the memories back to life mate!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Great!  You realise 45455 was a Kingmoor engine all through its BR life? St Rollox 1938-46...   there is a nice pic of it at Dumfries in the Irwell book of the Black 5 class vol.3.

It even had a 'heavy intermediate' overhaul in March-May 1966, withdrawn 9/67.  Seven different boilers, ten different tenders in its life. 

But you may not have been thinking much about those details on that cab-ride!

Also there is a fourth Irwell book out covering 44800-44999 and 45472-499...  so I just bought that. Then I saw a Book of Castles..  some sort of fancy engine from the GWR apparently, so I bought that too.

But none compare to a Garratt in Hasland tunnel!   :)  Or banking in a tunnel on a 1-in-45 with two 4-6-2s on NZR in 1967!

edit; here is my 1:64 S scale model of one such 4-6-2 at the shed I haunted in the 60s. (Paekakariki,  'pae' = many  'kakariki' = a type of singing NZ parrot)...  the shed still runs as a steam shed too! 

post-7929-0-58472300-1431653235_thumb.jpg  

Also one of my grandfather's favourite engine 'A' class 472 which he drove for years when it was a 4-cylinder compound, pictured after conversion to 2-cyl. Again apologies if I'm repeating myself.

post-7929-0-52330900-1431653420_thumb.jpg

Best,

Rob

Here's another which did some time at Kingmoor, but mostly it was at Saltley in the 60s...

apologies if you have seen it before. 45253 is actually a lined black model, believe it or not...

Infamous engine really, it didn't perform well in the 1948 locomotive trials.

Probably sabotaged by Swindon....

post-7929-0-61611200-1431652347_thumb.jpg

Yesterday my Malachite green Bulleid Light Pacific '46 Squadron' 34074 arrived in Golden Arrow regalia so I had better go and lie down for a while....

What a contrast!  And barely a hint of Brunel's benign influence!  :)

post-7929-0-94744200-1431654267_thumb.jpg

Best to all,

Rob

In preparing for new photos of 34074 '46 Squadron' (poor light, rainy weather, floods), I came across this pic of men from 46 Squadron, which I think is an excellent photo.   I know I know but the engine with its name is railway-related...

post-7929-0-81245000-1431674802.jpg

and for some reason I find the faces and body language of the various people very intense, must but just me.

I did however also do a pic of my LMS Fowler tank engine, from the same era , sort-of.

Goes well with Mick's film-clip, once again, sort-of...

post-7929-0-64412900-1431675000_thumb.jpg

Best,

Rob

Here you go, Black 5 aficionados,   

the one and only famous 44871... rods-down for the camera, and years before it's sad last run in 1968.

post-7929-0-41167900-1431896660_thumb.jpg

Rob, from where it is cold at night, but the vegetables in the garden are still good...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Love the Black 5 and Duchess Rob, although the beauty that rolls out at the end of 'mick's splendid video shades it for me. As an engineer who studied thermodynamics, I found it totally fascinating! Your H&E comments took me back to the repair facilities at Hurlford67B where, as a kid, I lived in the railway accommodation adjoining the shed in the fifties. Possibly because my dad was well thought of as a driver who understood and took care of their locos, the engineering staff took to me and I was shown all sorts of fairly heavy repair jobs from close up, such as welding the cracks in Black5 and Jubilee frames or complete overhauls of the 2P fleet as well as many others - I wouldn't be allowed near the gate nowadays! Strange how the engineers in the film all seemed to wear flat caps as most of our lads still did in the fifties. Expect it's a bit less stressful screwing the current motorised boxes together. Thanks for sharing it with us mick - can you advise me of an easy way to copy it to my PC (Windows with IE) or, better still, burn it to a disc to keep?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

With the help and insight given to you by the repair gangs it is no surprise to me that you fell in love with engineering and, whats more, you had great background experience of it at the working level.  Enjoy your thought provoking posts.

Cheers, Peter

Edit spelling only PBB

• RMweb Premium

You might have read about my grand father over on the Asylum, who was in the RAF and went to the Isle of Mann for training. He travelled on the LMS and talked about it as though it was something to behold. Being from Brighton most of his train journeys were on third rail electrics and never more than 52 miles as were mine as a teenager!

All the chaps in '46 Squadron. look so young don't you think? The officers look extremely proud of them especially the fella far right!

Class 5s have to be one of the handsomest engines going I prefer to see them lined out though.

Keep them coming Rob

Regards Shaun. 

I appear to have been blocked from access to the Asylum, so I cannot move the pic I put there yesterday with the intention of talking about post-war austerity and b+w ...

oh well

I didn't realise that a pic of a train was strictly not allowed there. I did understand the principle of separate subject themes, and I thought they were 'railway' and 'other', but did not quite get the severity of delineation.

Apologies, and thanks Jeff for your support in the past.

Rob

You might have read about my grand father over on the Asylum, who was in the RAF and went to the Isle of Mann for training. He travelled on the LMS and talked about it as though it was something to behold. Being from Brighton most of his train journeys were on third rail electrics and never more than 52 miles as were mine as a teenager!

All the chaps in '46 Squadron. look so young don't you think? The officers look extremely proud of them especially the fella far right!

Class 5s have to be one of the handsomest engines going I prefer to see them lined out though.

Keep them coming Rob

Regards Shaun.

Thanks Shaun, and others; Jock and PeterBB and Mick and more,

here is 34074 in living colour, though you couldn't really trust Kodak or Agfa or even Ilford to render a Stewarts Lane locale in 1949 quite this way... :)

post-7929-0-51904600-1431977084_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-94039100-1431977200_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-59332100-1431977246_thumb.jpg

I have several Black 5 pics 'in the works' some lined... I think they look better unlined myself, unless in LMS days, dunno why.

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

I'm more than happy for you to use this thread - which ALL Lunesters can choose to access freely - for you to display your photos/pics and to discuss your techniques etc.

Specific photographic discussion should go into its own thread, an existing one, or - if you choose - in here.

Many people enjoy your pics and will continue to do so, I'm sure.

Jeff

Rob,

I'm more than happy for you to use this thread - which ALL Lunesters can choose to access freely - for you to display your photos/pics and to discuss your techniques etc.

Specific photographic discussion should go into its own thread, an existing one, or - if you choose - in here.

Many people enjoy your pics and will continue to do so, I'm sure.

Jeff

The longer I spend here in RMweb the more I become convinced that while there are many contributors who have similar experiences with railways as myself, there are many who are most uncomfortable with edited pics of RTR models.

I am not comfortable with the constant denigration of buyers of RTR models from certain quarters who value 'having a go' and 'doing it yourself' with subtlety of language which a certain ex-teacher (not you Jeff) has mastered, and who promotes this cant and prejudice with great effect.

It appears to be the style promoted by BRM and thus RMweb too.

I feel like asking if the value of driving a car is greater if you rebuild and blueprint the engine yourself (as I have done many times), sometimes hand-profiling the inlet ports and valve seats, or whether you can just use a chequebook and drive it... and then write fluently about the value of the whole experience, with a subscript that people who do not modify and improve their cars are lesser people.

In short I find the attitude toxic and demeaning, I actually admire his craftsmanship and artistry, but the puffery and back-slapping congratulations offered to those who are tutored or befriended by this man, well it just leaves me cold. There is another highly regarded modeller who echoes this culture, with schoolboy innuendo thrown in.

Both far more lucid and talented with language than me, so I wouldn't be able to hold up in any exchange on the subject. Both have written to me privately praising me on the same day as publically denigrated those like me.

So I have been putting my pics here, because I know some like them. As to separating photography, railways, and 'other' into dedicated threads, it would be like separating garden-appreciation into horticulture, bricklaying, design, trees, vegetables, flowers, cement theory, structural practice, path construction, all in separate threads.... no overlap and bold capitals used in thread titles.

I do appreciate Jeff that the Lounge had become unwieldy for you, but I never expected the delineation to be so severe.

So I guess my attitude just doesn't fit.

Best,

Rob

evening all,

I've been playing with some ancient wagon kits from Airfix, Ratio and Peco but I only had a couple of fairly old pots of paint left from a grandchild's school homework project so the attached are very lacking in that respect. I need to invest in a new air-brush as mine is u/s and a whole set of weathering materials. Some lack couplings and the camera rather cruelly shows that I have to be more careful when forming the coupling links! I still cannot believe that I slavishly applied LMS transfers whilst knowing all along that I want to model the fifties into the sixties! Jason mentioned the oversize hinges on the Airfix 16Ts and so something needs to be done about those. As Barleith mineral sidings, adjacent to Hurlford shed 67B, had a large variety of goods traffic as well as the coal, they can be heavily weathered and prove useful to 'fill out' the scene!  

Kind regards,

Jock.

post-21385-0-29382900-1432142818.jpg

post-21385-0-89866600-1432142841.jpg

post-21385-0-42265800-1432142860.jpg

post-21385-0-28100600-1432142884.jpg

post-21385-0-24350600-1432142905.jpg

post-21385-0-48858800-1432142932.jpg

post-21385-0-82888200-1432142954.jpg

post-21385-0-93204900-1432142981.jpg

Hello again,

Found this in the loft, remnant of stock from a loft railway I began in Cornwall in the seventies, sadly interrupted by a messy divorce - don't know if I'll be able to salvage anything useful from it other than a grounded coach body?

Kind regards,

Jock.

post-21385-0-39776700-1432143567.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Very nice work Jock, although you've mounted the door spring upside down on the 3 plank and it is missing altogether from the brown 5 plank. Easily fixed :)

• RMweb Gold

Hello again,

Found this in the loft, remnant of stock from a loft railway I began in Cornwall in the seventies, sadly interrupted by a messy divorce - don't know if I'll be able to salvage anything useful from it other than a grounded coach body?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

What a lovely model.  Do you know who made it and what the original prototype was?

evening all,

I've been playing with some ancient wagon kits from Airfix, Ratio and Peco but I only had a couple of fairly old pots of paint left from a grandchild's school homework project so the attached are very lacking in that respect. I need to invest in a new air-brush as mine is u/s and a whole set of weathering materials. Some lack couplings and the camera rather cruelly shows that I have to be more careful when forming the coupling links! I still cannot believe that I slavishly applied LMS transfers whilst knowing all along that I want to model the fifties into the sixties! Jason mentioned the oversize hinges on the Airfix 16Ts and so something needs to be done about those. As Barleith mineral sidings, adjacent to Hurlford shed 67B, had a large variety of goods traffic as well as the coal, they can be heavily weathered and prove useful to 'fill out' the scene!  

Kind regards,

Jock.

Excellent work Jock, great to see you modelling matey, and to such a high standard as well.

Well done mate.

• RMweb Premium

Jock. The others have said it already, excellent work. Looking forward to seeing a bit more

Duncan, if you go to the Asylum you probably WILL see a bit more!

Andy's threatening to drop his trousers!!!!!  :O  :O  :O  :O

Now that's taking modelling to extremes!!

Jeff

Duncan, if you go to the Asylum you probably WILL see a bit more!

Andy's threatening to drop his trousers!!!!!  :O  :O  :O  :O

Now that's taking modelling to extremes!!

Jeff

Can you get disinfectant and bleach for the mind?

Jock,

What a lovely model.  Do you know who made it and what the original prototype was?

Chris,

It is a Ratio clerestory from around 35+ years ago, and I made it, hand painted and Methfix transfers included! I had started on a loft layout when I lived in Cornwall back then but a divorce intervened and she got the house! A long story. If you think it may fit one of your requirements, I can get you exact details as I have (somewhere) a Ratio catalogue from the same time!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Archived