Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Thank you all for the praise, I always feel my efforts are clumsy! Have any of you accomplished members come up with ideas to make the Airfix/Dapol 16T minerals more realistic. I've read Jason's trick with the brake gear and I've seen one with door open on 'Bacup' but I wondered if anyone had devised a method of replacing those massive door hinges?

Kind regards,

Jock.

. . . . Have any of you accomplished members come up with ideas to make the Airfix/Dapol 16T minerals more realistic. I've read Jason's trick with the brake gear and I've seen one with door open on 'Bacup' but I wondered if anyone had devised a method of replacing those massive door hinges?

I'd be interested in hearing answers to this as well . . . .

• RMweb Premium

Really great to see some of your modeling Jock.
Relax. The LMS built 3 plank drop side wagons didn't have door springs. They had dampers! Your model is spot on. Jason might be pulling your leg mate. LMS3plankwagons  

The Ratio coach kits are quite good and come up on eBay quite a lot. I built a rake of the suburban's about 15 years ago. They need weight added, a problem  which I intend to solve when I get around to building the rake of clerestories that have sat in the kit box for years by adding BB pellets under the seating. When I find 5 minutes I'll do a picture of the suburban's.

As regarding the mods to the minerals, try paring off the offending hinges and gluing some more suitably sized plastic rod in their place.

Regards Shaun.

• RMweb Premium

Early Diagram 818 with wooden under frame would have been without the damper. All later diagrams had this feature due to the weight of the three planks being too heavy! Jocks model is of a later build most probably dating from the war years when shortages of steel saw a return to large numbers of wagon being built unfitted!  The LMS built some 10,000 of these wagons so there are many variants. I think building continued under BR!

Here's a snap of Black 5 No. 5055 with a suburban train coasting down grade on the viaduct. 

A very risky picture to take as one of the dogs had a run in with a skunk, who is still at large! And... black widow spiders have invaded the train building once again.

post-8964-0-57391600-1432187945_thumb.jpg

I'll put some more pictures on my thread when I get up.

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

It is a Ratio clerestory from around 35+ years ago, and I made it, hand painted and Methfix transfers included! I had started on a loft layout when I lived in Cornwall back then but a divorce intervened and she got the house! A long story. If you think it may fit one of your requirements, I can get you exact details as I have (somewhere) a Ratio catalogue from the same time!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

Thank you for the information.  If it is Ratio I think it is a Midland Clerestory.  The Midland through coaches on the Cambrian went down to Aberystwyth and not along the coast which means that they would not have been seen at Traeth Mawr, mores the pity.

• RMweb Premium

As I was as good as off ill yesterday, my modelling consisted of making stone corbels and gutters for the main mill building (I wasn't fully happy with the original ones although they may get used at some point) and slitting strips of 150 gsm card to make slates. The former involved cutting, glueing and filing about 100 tiny pieces of Plastikard and the latter, more cuts with the knife than I want to think about with many more to follow.

Was it fun? No. Was it proper modelling? Yes. Was it worth the effort? To me, yes. It's a funny old hobby really, taking inordinate amounts of time doing dull, repetitive tasks, sometimes just to throw it away because we are not happy with the outcome but I love it.

Morning all, yes great to hear REAL MODELLING TALK in hear, I completely coc** up the SIMPLE Peco office by doing what most Men do when they buy a Video or Flat Pack, I didn't read the instructions first.

I'll post some pics up in Whittaker St later.

I've also been doing some more weathering for a chap in Rossendale, here's some of the bits I've been doing.

post-9335-0-84216400-1432193893_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-07365200-1432193914_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-45601400-1432193934_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87190600-1432193951_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-28969700-1432193971_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-28969700-1432193971_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-21357400-1432194037_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-55549100-1432194066_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-10674000-1432194084_thumb.jpg

Back latter for a proper chat

Morning all,

Don't know if I've mentioned it before but our (that is the Royal 'our'!) plan to move and downsize has been scrapped! Joanna really wanted to move so I just 'went with the flow', but I'm delighted at the change of mind after the amount of work I've put into this place for over thirty years! What finally changed her mind was when I pointed out that I am no longer able to cope with these tasks and so we would have to hire people to do the work for us, and all this after we have just about got the place looking as she wanted it to.

What has this got to do with railway modelling you might ask? Well it certainly has a bearing on the amount of space available, and if I crack on and get the garage cleared, as well as the house and garage lofts, I could end up with enough space for a layout! I intend to start building sections of my grand scheme for a rendition of the MPD at Hurlford in modules, as I can't possibly predict how my illness will affect me from week to week. I first need to dispose of lots of items like historic books, records etc.to fund the project and so I am probably looking at the spring for baseboard work, but I have a couple of ideas for small modelling tasks like the small bothy building adjacent to the coaling stage/turntable which I have drawn as the first module. This would keep my interest going until I am in a position to start on baseboards, and above all, it gives me a target to strive to reach which is so important when dealing with my particular ailment!

I'm off on a trawl for further inspiration now, thanks for reading my ramblings if you did!

Kind regards

Jock.

Morning all,

Don't know if I've mentioned it before but our (that is the Royal 'our'!) plan to move and downsize has been scrapped! Joanna really wanted to move so I just 'went with the flow', but I'm delighted at the change of mind after the amount of work I've put into this place for over thirty years! What finally changed her mind was when I pointed out that I am no longer able to cope with these tasks and so we would have to hire people to do the work for us, and all this after we have just about got the place looking as she wanted it to.

What has this got to do with railway modelling you might ask? Well it certainly has a bearing on the amount of space available, and if I crack on and get the garage cleared, as well as the house and garage lofts, I could end up with enough space for a layout! I intend to start building sections of my grand scheme for a rendition of the MPD at Hurlford in modules, as I can't possibly predict how my illness will affect me from week to week. I first need to dispose of lots of items like historic books, records etc.to fund the project and so I am probably looking at the spring for baseboard work, but I have a couple of ideas for small modelling tasks like the small bothy building adjacent to the coaling stage/turntable which I have drawn as the first module. This would keep my interest going until I am in a position to start on baseboards, and above all, it gives me a target to strive to reach which is so important when dealing with my particular ailment!

I'm off on a trawl for further inspiration now, thanks for reading my ramblings if you did!

Kind regards

Jock.

Jock that's great news for you mate, I know even after my minor skirmish of almost 12 Months ago how hard I find doing the easiest of jobs now. On a good night I have about 8 to 9 hours sleep but like now, I sit down for a coffee at 11 and the eyes are already heavy and ready for a cat knap. 

Small modules are certainly the way to go forward and you will see real progress as each module develops. Slowly slowly catch the Monkey as they say, but take it easy doing the clearing of the Loft and Garage, and get someone in to do it rather than knacker yourself to the point where, yes its clear but you can't use it because you've over done it.

Its probably hard for Joanna to accept that you cant do the things you used to be able to do, but better that than be without you. House moving can be stressful if they go well, but get a bad one as we had, and it really does take its toll on the mind and body.

Enjoy the Home you've built together and now also enjoy your Railway modelling once again in the knowledge that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you will have Trains running very soon.

All the best to both you and Joanna and have a good, NO GREAT Bank Holiday.

Very well said Andrew and I agree with you wholeheartedly! JRR Tolkien once wrote that every journey starts with one small step and even great journeys are just a lot of small steps, one foot after the other! The joy comes in the discovery of unknown places and strangers who become friends when you least expect it! He put it much more eloquently than I can, but no doubt Jock you've already discovered that there are a lot of people in the Lounge who are more than willing to help out if required, even if only with advice. Looking forward to your journey Jock and seeing where it takes you!

Regards to you and your wife,

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Andy and Bill have said everything I would have Jock!

Am happy for you that your goals now appear much more fun like and give you something to look forward to rather than a huge daunting task looming on the horizon!

regards Shaun.

• RMweb Gold

Sensible descision Jock moving in later life can be more hassle than staying where you are. One thing you mention garage and lofts. Once into OAP territory and especially with failing health I would advise anyone to think twice about a site using a loft ladder. It can be a pain if you have a layout in a loft but don't want to go up there becasue of the ladder. I have propper stairsd to my loft layout. My late freind Frank had the stair lift extended up to his railway room in the loft room.

Don

Jock, I have to agree totally with Don when it comes to Loft Layout. Thinking back to when I had mine, I would be sitting in the chair after tea, and Dee would want to watch something on telly that I wasn't interested in, so would say I'm going upstairs for a bit, (no not like that, AND we didn't have stairs either as it was a Bungalow) but then I would think, Oh I just cant be bothered. Now with the Shed I just open the conservatory door, unlock the Shed and I'm in my Country Retreat.

Sometimes I don't even do any modelling, I just sit on my stool, plan and dream of how it will develop over the coming Months, Years etc.

Nowadays my hips and knees wont let me up our Loft Ladder unless its once a year to do the Christmas decorations thing, but then I put it off as long as I can.

I hope Don and I aren't putting you off getting started mate, just consider; A, your health, and B your eventual project. Small boards, as I said the other day can be a real blessing, and can be brought indoors if your aloud, (I'm not).

Whatever you do, take your time and ENJOY the fact that at least you can plan ahead.

All the best.

• RMweb Gold

Jock, I have to agree totally with Don when it comes to Loft Layout. Thinking back to when I had mine, I would be sitting in the chair after tea, and Dee would want to watch something on telly that I wasn't interested in, so would say I'm going upstairs for a bit, (no not like that, AND we didn't have stairs either as it was a Bungalow) but then I would think, Oh I just cant be bothered. Now with the Shed I just open the conservatory door, unlock the Shed and I'm in my Country Retreat.

Sometimes I don't even do any modelling, I just sit on my stool, plan and dream of how it will develop over the coming Months, Years etc.

Nowadays my hips and knees wont let me up our Loft Ladder unless its once a year to do the Christmas decorations thing, but then I put it off as long as I can.

I hope Don and I aren't putting you off getting started mate, just consider; A, your health, and B your eventual project. Small boards, as I said the other day can be a real blessing, and can be brought indoors if your aloud, (I'm not).

Whatever you do, take your time and ENJOY the fact that at least you can plan ahead.

All the best.

I certainly wasn't trying to put Jock off. But I would suggest a garage over a loft with a ladder. A great start would be Andy's Glen Roy Plan you can always add extra modules. The sation allows some shunting even with no fiddle yard.

Don

Archived