Lima Class 47 detailing

wirey33

I have a couple of Lima Class 47s that I have decided to detail and re-paint. I started by stripping off the old paint using Isopropyl Alcohol which was about 95% successful.

First job was to remove the handrails from the top of the nose and the cabs doors. I was thinking that the grooves behind the cab door handrails were too deep, the photo in the link shows they probably are, but it’s too much work to fill and re-cut them.

Can anyone shed some light on the small roof grill at No.2 end adjacent to the boiler port cover ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepgreen2009/7186273761/

post-9860-0-91442300-1360187966.jpg

post-9860-0-68305700-1360188143.jpg

post-9860-0-05585500-1360188257.jpg

• Like 2

Guest 40-something

The small grill is a boiler port but a loco in the condition of your bodyshell (marker lights and hi-intensity headlight) should have this plated over or even removed.

I find the Lima shell can really be detailed up to match the current offerings from Bachmann & Vi-Trains.

• Like 3

The small grill is a boiler port but a loco in the condition of your bodyshell (marker lights and hi-intensity headlight) should have this plated over or even removed.

I find the Lima shell can really be detailed up to match the current offerings from Bachmann & Vi-Trains.

The boiler port is the big square plate you can see on the left hand side, I'm intersted in the smaller grill towards the right hand side (as marked).

This bodyshell was originally 47079, but I've no idea how accurate that bodyshell was for that loco. Lima did tend to slap paint on anything with little regard for accuracy.

post-9860-0-12725400-1360191265.jpg

• Like 2

Some may disagree, but I find the Lima 47 more '47' looking than anything else on the market. They can be brought up to a real good standard body wise. I personally don't mind the Lima motor either, it's simple to work on and with enough weight will pull what I need it to :senile:

Hope you don't mind. This is one of mine...

47509Albion_zpsf87ccce2.jpg

I think the Lima tool makers were on to something here...

Edited by Marcyg
  • Like 14

The Lima boiler room roof is one of the universal boiler compartment types. If a Spanner or Stones boiler was fitted the small exhaust was used, if a Clayton was fitted the large plate was removed and a similar plate fitted with a square exhaust fitted. 

Regards

Al Taylor

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

....First job was to remove the handrails from the top of the nose and the cabs doors. I was thinking that the grooves behind the cab door handrails were too deep, the photo in the link shows they probably are, but it’s too much work to fill and re-cut them....

I wouldn't fill and re-drill. I'd cut thin (0.25mm or 0.5mm thick) evergreen plastic strip to fit. This should decrease the depth behind the handrails without too much work (and being plastic, once cut to length, the strip can be filed to an exact fit for the aperture).

F

• Like 1

Hi - For my 47 I removed the raised handrails, but only down to where the end of the handrail meets the slot for them. Id say you don't really need to drill out the section and re-fill as its fine as it is and isn't too recessed at all once theyve been removed

NL

This is what I did to the boiler exhausts. Probably wrong! I also made the under body tanks look a bit more like an early loco. the Ultrascale wheels were already on this loco which  started life as a green bashed up "Sir Daniel Gooch". I also transferred the buffer beams and valances to the chasis like on a Bachmann loco and in the process got rid of the curved Lima buffer beam.

post-11423-0-14896600-1364060606_thumb.jpg

Edited by drgj
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Right then - time for a little more activity on this project and as roofs seem to be the hot topic, we'll start there.

I've decided one of the locos I will be doing is 47492 "The Enterprising Scot" in its ScotRail Red Stripe livery.

I've found a few shots of it on Flickr but none of them show much in the way of roof detail, except perhaps this one at Carnforth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonedome/4569198360/sizes/o/in/photostream/

From that angle and with the rust, I'm struggling to make out if there is anything forward of the round plate covering the Spanner boiler port. So I started to look for other locos which were built at around the same time which I could fairly reliably use as reference for '492. I found that the beautifully preserved 47580 (D1762) was just one loco away from 47492 (D1760) on the production line at Brush so that's close enough for me. There is also no shortage of 47580 shots to use as reference and this one is perhaps the most useful as far as roof shots go....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jesutcliffe/5721640582/sizes/o/in/photostream/

So that confirms the clear space in front of the boiler port cover but throws up two more issues (never simple is it)................

1. What is the smaller plate (approx. 8") in front of the main boiler port cover?

2. What is the large plate behind the boiler port cover on the driver’s side and why is it completely missing from my Lima bodyshell ? It's also not present on my Bachmnann 47835 or 47035 bodies.

Edited by wirey33
  • Like 1

The small plate is where the vent for the boiler safety valve would have been. The other cover plate is connected with the field diverts. It is only fitted to later versions of all parrallel 47s.

Al Taylor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I note that Jim S-W say that he uses replacement window frames from Shawplan - is this the excellent class 50 frames as I can't see that they do class 47 ones. Also what did you use for the glazing, make your own or try to cram some extreme etchings glaxing in there?

I've got two lima 47's that have been on my detailing list for some time.

Once the 45 and 50 that are on my bench at the moment are complete.

Chris.

• 8 months later...

Lima class 47 fans,

Great to see Lima 47s getting worked on. There not that bad, probly the window ribbing and glazing are the worst. Everyone goes on about how good the Bachmann model is, I personally think the underframe battery box/water tanks are oversized. They give a pregnant look. I would love to pay a bit more to get a model thats correct.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Stephen.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Must admit down under the 'aussie' modellers are spoilt. The new Australian models come out with central motors, all grills and most if all colours schemes. The only down size is the cost, 150 pounds on average but with excellent running qualities and detail plus many colours, a super '47' would be great especially the choice of multiply numbers. Would be supa if one of the class 47 manufactures produced the models as they where really built, ie green, blue, large logo and so on. Be happy with plain models, not go down the Lima road with nearlly every model named or in some special colour scheme. At least one thing, I have improved my painting to overcome the lack of new class 47 colour variations.

Stephen.

Most colour schemes have been produced by Heljan or Bachmann, Green, Blue, RfD, other Triple Grey Rf liveries, XP64, Blue with RfD logo, Large logo, NSE, Intercity (Swallow and executive), Advenza, Cotswold Rail, Colas, Freightliner, Royal Train livery, EWS, even Green with yellow ends with plated Headvode panels like a mainline registered loco in an old colour scheme. There my BR more that I've missed, bit that should start us off nicely.

Cheers, IC125

• 3 years later...

I have a GBL Class 47 I plan on detailing, using a similar method. Could anyone give any guidance?

If nothing else, the roof fans are worth replacing, not sure if Shawplan EE range will fit. As above boiler ports are a minefield. I would also replace the hand rails with0.45mm wire. Good luck with the project, I resprayed a GBL 47 and used it as part if a 3D backscene on Peafore yard, some pics in the layout thread, link in my signature.