N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

Not if it's to be delivered by then - it'll need to leave the factory before the end of January to hit those deadlines. I agree though that further slippage will definitely be into CNY territory.

Looks like it will be affected by CNY as I suspected. I spoke with Joel at Warley on Sunday and he indicated delivery wont be until Easter timeish because of CNY. And yesterday I received a delivery update for my pre-order from Hattons confirming that. 

G.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Due to a number of unexpected issues, including typhoons as well as the usual tweaks, this model it is running late. We have a projected date, which is unacceptably long and which we are working on improving. Once we have a firm date we shall publish it, but are aiming for 2nd quarter this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can’t be 100% sure but these look like the same decorated samples that appeared in October. If not, then the decoration errors that were evident then (and which were communicated to Dapol via the Digest part of their website) are still there. :mellow:

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Gold

I studied the EPs closely today (after I’d found them, right down at the bottom of the cabinet!) and I think I’ve worked out where it all starts to go wrong. When you look at the model top down, there is nowhere near enough taper in on the cab ends. The cantrail is very nearly straight from end to end. This is making the cab front wider than it should be and causing the problems highlighted earlier in the thread, notably the headcode box looking too shallow. 

The above, and other points, were raised with the chap present on the stand but they didn’t really seem that interested, strongly indicating it’s too late to do anything about it now. 

At at first glance it is an impressive looking model, but best not to look at it too closely! 

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Have been contemplating on getting one of these, probably the Large Logo blue one, but realised that 50040 was renamed Centurian in 1987, which is around when my modelling period starts).  I can't find any evidence of it having the number and NSE logo on the headcode box whilst named Leviathan.  Is this a mix up do we think?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I think Tom above has hit the nail on the head.  If I was in the market for a 50 (possibly for a railtour/charter) then I'd probably go for the large logo as the black around the windows does tend to hide the issue with the windscreens.

I can't see Dapol redoing the body mould at this stage.

cheers

Ben A.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stuey said:

Have been contemplating on getting one of these, probably the Large Logo blue one, but realised that 50040 was renamed Centurian in 1987, which is around when my modelling period starts).  I can't find any evidence of it having the number and NSE logo on the headcode box whilst named Leviathan.  Is this a mix up do we think?

As I have seen a photo of Centurian with 50040 but no NSE flash on the headcode panel, I think it is fairly safe to assume that Leviathan would never have worn that embelishment.....

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

One remedy to this is simply to rename it "Centurion", of course with a little help from Narrow Planet (since Fox does not appear to have this name for some reason).

Yes - an option, but again if shelling out this amount of money, you'd like to think it would be accurate.  

2 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Yes - an option, but again if shelling out this amount of money, you'd like to think it would be accurate.  

Indeed - but I tend/plan to renumber a high proportion of the locomotives that I acquire in any event, so this is less significant for me and others who do the same. One cannot, after all, have four "Leviathan"s.

• RMweb Premium

Seems to be another one of those details that is actually harder to get wrong! Just take a photo and copy all the livery elements from it. By using multiple sources they've obviously confused the issue.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WesternKing said:

Are we still expecting these this month? I've asked Dapol but they haven't responded!

I’m not expecting them this month. Last estimate was Q2 2019 which we are only three days into. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:19, Western Aviator said:

Last estimate was Q2 2019 which we are only three days into. 

I got the impression from the Dapol Digest that the estimated date for production following the delay issues was unacceptably long and they were hoping to get that pulled back to Q2. Consequently Q2 might not even be confirmed as the latest estimate - just something to aim for. But fingers crossed.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:20, WesternKing said:

Hatton's are still showing them as being expected between March & April 2019, no doubt Dapol will be releasing a further delay update soon?

I've recently had an email from Hattons pushing that date back to June/July (IIRC).

G