N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/03/2019 at 10:49, John M Upton said:

The Class 50's in Dapol's cabinet at Ally Pally today.

20190323_100808.jpg

20190323_100830.jpg

20190323_100834.jpg

These look remarkably like the Hornby 00 class 50’s - does Dapol have an arrangement with Hornby to share development costs maybe?

2 hours ago, nickb4141 said:

These look remarkably like the Hornby 00 class 50’s - does Dapol have an arrangement with Hornby to share development costs maybe?

It is a model of the same locomotive, so one would expect it to look somewhat alike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, nickb4141 said:

This has been asked before and the answer was no.

I think Dapol went after a number of similar models to Hornby safe in the knowledge that Hornby weren't venturing into N anytime soon so wouldn't be up against Bachmann whose strategy was to duplicate much of it's range across the then main scales of OO and N.  The 50 and West Country were the first models in Hornby's range that were also Farish items, Bachmann did the Merchant Navy in response to the latter and which may have had some bearing on Dapol delaying their items but the 50 was left to Dapol (perhaps Bachmann thought Dapol had lost interest in N, I think we did)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We're into July now so this post will bump the thread.

Is there any recent news (or even rumours) or have they been forgotten about and people given up on them?

;-)

G

• RMweb Gold

Since the post on the digest in March about them being allocated a “projected date, which is unacceptably long”, the silence has been deafening! 

That either means they were able to bring production forward and we’ll see them soon, or they weren’t and we won’t! 

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamespetts said:

Interesting - is that a large space for a speaker at the left hand side of the chassis on the test track? If so, that might be utilised for a stay alive unit for those not interested in sound.

I imagine so, that's where the speaker space is on the 68.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Edward Blue said:

Not an expert, but I expected more sophistication in  factory qc department? All clutter and bits of tape, what's that about then?

Most if not all factories in China look like that....I've never come across anything cleaner or more sophisticated than that.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Still not very sophisticated though is it? A fan by each work station rather than aircon. I would want a full-on aircon system with dust extraction for that sort of work.

If you want to pay even more for your models they could have air-con, but just imagine the furore on here if the manufacturers said that prices were going up £x per item so that their workers could enjoy that....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Edward Blue said:

Thanks @MGR Hooper! I suppose I was expecting something similar to this factory, but this one is owned and managed directly by Rapido. Image is from Revolution trains.

IMG_6445-1.jpg

Note that Rapido's factories are relatively "brand new".... The Rapido Factories aren't running at 100% capacity, by this I mean with regards to their floor space, the amount of work-stations is far lesser than compared to the older factories that have been around for atleast 2 decades if not more.

Anything new is more likely to look much better than something that's been around for over 2 decades.

Also back to your original post, it's an image zoomed into one table, there's no telling what the rest of the factory looks like. If this factory produces models in multiple scales, then it's quite common to have temporary layouts set up just for testing. Hence the tape and glue marks and what looks like a quick layout put together. 

Edited by MGR Hooper!