N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

For a sound fitted loco you'll also need a suitable speaker and do a bit of soldering - there are pads on the PCB next to the speaker enclosure for the speaker wiring.

My mistake, I thought these models came with a factory-fitted speaker as do the latest Farish releases. Even so it should be straightforward - the speaker enclosure is already in place, and soldering speaker leads to the PCB is much less challenging than taking a hot iron to the decoder itself. 

Evening everyone.

This is my first proper post on here.

I took delivery of a very weathered 50032 (a la the 1990 trip to Barnstaple with the Exeter spare set) in original NSE yesterday from TMC (yes I know that the livery isn’t quite right for the loco).

I really like it despite the odd flaw, and although I’ve looked back through the thread I can’t seem to work out how to switch the cab lights off. It’s got a Bachmann chip in it and I’ve only got a basic EZ Command controller. I’ve tried the little switches in different configurations but no joy.

Any advice?

037F4C94-A131-440E-8637-781F48B21DCB.jpeg.3a8b011368e97394cf1d32ce7f0ae8c6.jpeg

• Like 8

On 11/10/2019 at 19:00, Cowley 47521 said:

Evening everyone.

This is my first proper post on here.

I took delivery of a very weathered 50032 (a la the 1990 trip to Barnstaple with the Exeter spare set) in original NSE yesterday from TMC (yes I know that the livery isn’t quite right for the loco.... 

Looks great - I have now got the NSE and LL version and they are worth every penny. 

I am working on a Barnstaple branch inspired layout c. 1989/1990. It always struck me as the perfect modern branch to model with 37/47/50s on two coach dmu substitution trains. It also had 31s on Speedlink although most of that traffic had gone by 1989.

I always wondered why 33s never seemed to appear on the Barny banger in 89/90 as they were common just a few years before. 

15 hours ago, fezza said:

Looks great - I have now got the NSE and LL version and they are worth every penny. 

I am working on a Barnstaple branch inspired layout c. 1989/1990. It always struck me as the perfect modern branch to model with 37/47/50s on two coach dmu substitution trains. It also had 31s on Speedlink although most of that traffic had gone by 1989.

I always wondered why 33s never seemed to appear on the Barny banger in 89/90 as they were common just a few years before. 

Thanks Fezza.

I think with the 33s there always seemed to plenty of the Eastleigh ones hanging around EX up to 1987/88 when they still worked some of the Barnstaple and Paignton locals. After that they’d come in on Waterloo services (having subbed for 50s and later 47s), plus they also came through Exeter on ballast trips to Meldon obviously.

I think looking back and from what I remember there just weren’t many spare 33s sitting around Exeter in the last couple of years of locos going up to Barnstaple.

That said I couldn’t resist buying 33102, and I’ve been looking for a photo of a 33/1 north of Coleford Junction ever since...

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2019 at 12:54, Steven B said:

I've got my fingers crossed for D400 in refurbished condition to run with 50007.

Steven B.

I’d like to see D400 in that condition too, however, the handrails on the very front of the loco would have to be removed. As the first class 50 produced there were a few differences, the lack of front handrails being the most obvious. 

Regarding fitting sound I’ve just fitted YouChoos’ sound to one of mine. Apart from Dapol fitting a speaker in the factory I can’t see how it could be any easier! Taking the backing off the double sided sticky tape was probably the most time consuming job!

David

Edited by Dtwo
Grammar

• RMweb Gold

The Zimo MX658N18 fits fine. I’ve managed to add a fair bit of stay alive into mine too via some careful soldering to the PCB connector and a Zimo SACC16. 

330C5B29-DF86-4FF6-9C8F-9EBE1E6C1026.jpeg.1f4668cfe58f112fc213046addde0fbf.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

To follow up on my comment about back-to-backs, all but one wheel set on my 50 required adjustment as they were too narrow. If you are having trouble through pointwork it’s probably worth checking! 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

• 3 weeks later...

So I got mine yesterday and it’s a beauty. Looks and runs superbly. 
In the instructions it mentions a bag of accessories. The only thing in mine is the snowplough. Am I missing anything much? Is it worth chasing up? And if so with whom - retailer or Dapol? Also should this come with alternative easi shunt couplers, before I buy a pair? Thanks 

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately no Easi-Shunt couplers with these new locos. I have also heard rumours that they are not doing 10 packs of the Easi -shunt anymore which will make buying the single pairs expensive. 

My 50 ran fine on Banbury through the fiddleyard curves the weekend that I got the loco

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigP said:

I have 5 of them and only accessory in the bag is ploughs.

The manual says that 'short air pipes' are factory fitted to the model, and 'long pipes' should be in the accessory bag.  Instead, all 5 of mine have come from the factory with long pipes fitted (coupling gets caught now on corners & pointwork!) with no 'short' pipes at all.  Pretty annoying.

Would also be interested to know what others have found with theirs.

I seem to recall this was covered either here (earlier) or on the Dapol forum in that the booklets were printed before a decision was taken as to how they the locos would be finished (buffer beam details). Hence the variance with the pipes fitted in place rather than supplied separately in the accessory bag.

So just the long type pre-fitted is correct. If you want shorter ones (if using the Rapido coupler in place on tight radius bends) it's a simple matter to snip back their length with some micro-shears/cutters. I've removed the front coupler and didn't find the fitted pipes and coupler together at the other end a problem on my test oval.

• Thanks 1

I guess they fitted them as their previous D&E loco (class 68) had them pre-fitted and to maintain that quality/finish. Generally the average purchaser doest fit them so proving a short set and long set of pipes separately would be a waste. It is a nice touch to have them fitted (and possible an extra USP) and easy enough to cut them back shorter if required. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My sound fitted loco arrived over the weekend. Bogie keeper plate off on one bogie and all the wheels had dropped out. A quick reassemble meant it started up OK but appears to have a wobbling front axle. I think it will be going back for an exchange.

I took the keeper plate off again and checked the wheels again. The wobble seems to have gone, so something must have been incorrectly fitted. The sound is great and I look forward to running the loco in.

Edited by acg5324