N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

6 minutes ago, grahame said:

Mainly the issues and deficiencies mentioned earlier in this thread - nothing revolutionary IIRC.

Most of those things are counsels of perfection; a perhaps somewhat harsh assessment; but tastes vary on what is important, I suppose.

• 8 months later...

Aha, I have been looking forward to the revised NSE liveried variants. As to 50046 and 50033, I am already somewhat ahead of Dapol:

49009833826_42dca4960a_h.jpgDapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

49015041772_7b8a1a606f_h.jpgDapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

(albeit my 50033 is in late 1980s condition, whereas the new Dapol model will be as preserved).

Edited by jamespetts
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, 47475 said:

Nice choices.

I hope the shades of grey are correct on 50149, as earlier Dapol triple grey models such as the 26, 56 and 86 had incorrect shades.

What are they like on the latest 33 and 26 releases?

Not seen them in the flesh myself to judge.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2020 at 19:12, Kaput said:

Slightly surprised theres no announcement of either of the GBRf livery versions unless some retailer is doing an exclusive.

Have no fear Kernow Model Rail Centre have announced the GBRf versions see here https://grahammuz.com/2020/08/14/kernow-model-rail-centre-announce-class-50-gbrf-pack-in-n-gauge/

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/08/2020 at 14:16, Stuey said:

What are they like on the latest 33 and 26 releases?

Not seen them in the flesh myself to judge.

I too have not seen them in the flesh, but from the photos I can find online of the latest 33 in Trainload Construction livery, it looks like they are still using the same incorrect shades they have used on previous triple grey releases. That does not bode well for 50149, unless they finally address the issue.

1 hour ago, 47475 said:

I too have not seen them in the flesh, but from the photos I can find online of the latest 33 in Trainload Construction livery, it looks like they are still using the same incorrect shades they have used on previous triple grey releases. That does not bode well for 50149, unless they finally address the issue.

I have the Construction 33 and it looks okay to me. Lighting probably  does make a difference though - my own layout is very well lit. 

• 1 month later...

Ive just managed to obtain 50040 in large logo from a model shop, perhaps a lucky find as most places all sold out.  Runs smoothly and quietly, it sits just right and low on its bogies and does look like a 50 should.  I didnt need to remove any of the bufferbeam pipework (rapidos on both ends currently) for hauling mk1s around my curves.

One thing that looks odd when its next to its Farish stablemates, the roof grey is darker than 37/47s in large logo.  The roof colour is almost the same as my railfreight grey 37, from research it suggests the roofs darkened with exhaust soot but wandered if anyone could confirm it should be light grey?  It also has a slight masking issue already mentioned as the grey goes across the cantrail grille but I can live with that.

The roof would appear to me to be the right colour: here is a photograph of 50040 in 1989:

49890292518_d15f9dd7a1_b.jpgberks - 50040 arrives reading 3-1989 JL by John Law, on Flickr

here is one with the roof cleaner:

28650880753_5251ca382b_b.jpg50040 London Paddington by Adrian Hancock, on Flickr

and here is a photograph of my model of it:

49014839491_5e5188e4a7_b.jpgDapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

The lightness looks quite similar to me.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

The roof would appear to me to be the right colour: here is a photograph of 50040 in 1989:

49890292518_d15f9dd7a1_b.jpgberks - 50040 arrives reading 3-1989 JL by John Law, on Flickr

I grew up in Reading and seeing this photo (before the caption) immediately brought back vivid memories of walking along that glass footbridge, stopping when something came in, running down the escalators so as not to miss a fast train to London etc. I had to double take on the photo to make sure that wasn't my father on the platform. 

• Like 4

Looking at those pictures, it is a real shame that Farish haven't produced a re-run of their NSE Mk1 and Mk2 coaches - the TSOs are very hard to get hold of.  If anyone knows of stores that have them please do let us know!

I've often wished that manufacturers would think a little 'out of the box' and release engines and coaches together. No one would produce only one car of a DMU.   It is more difficult with engines and coaches when two manufacturers are involved, but they might benefit from sharing release schedules?    Surely it would result in more sales - demand for NSE stock must have gone up when the 50s came out?

Edited by fezza
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, fezza said:

Looking at those pictures, it is a real shame that Farish haven't produced a re-run of their NSE Mk1 and Mk2 coaches - the TSOs are very hard to get hold of.  If anyone knows of stores that have them please do let us know!

I've often wished that manufacturers would think a little 'out of the box' and release engines and coaches together. No one would produce only one car of a DMU.   It is more difficult with engines and coaches when two manufacturers are involved, but they might benefit from sharing release schedules?    Surely it would result in more sales - demand for NSE stock must have gone up when the 50s came out?

The Mk2s were in the bargain bins after the 50s were released, I bought another couple. NSE just isn't very popular, so don't hold your breath for a re-run. Look how long it has taken to shift most of the NSE 101s.

I would think the next NSE releases might be blue/grey with NSE branding rather than the full-on toothpaste versions....

I couldn't find any NSE Mk2 TSOs last year and Mk1s seem few and far between. There are plenty of brake and first class vehicles around. 

I'd certainly pick up some blue/grey with NSE branding if they appear. I was actually wondering the other day whether any suitable transfers were available? 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, fezza said:

I'd certainly pick up some blue/grey with NSE branding if they appear. I was actually wondering the other day whether any suitable transfers were available? 

Yes, they are. I have no connection with Railtec, I’m just one of their many satisfied customers. 
https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=972

D63097AF-28C0-481B-800C-AF7171EFCFA5.jpeg.74599b3367ef2537a9982ed46edf76b3.jpeg

Other transfer suppliers are available and may well produce these too.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2020 at 18:34, jamespetts said:

and here is a photograph of my model of it:

49014839491_5e5188e4a7_b.jpgDapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

The lightness looks quite similar to me.

That’s interesting; every image I have seen of these models and the five that I own have all got a noticeably darker roof colour than yours. 

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, fezza said:

I couldn't find any NSE Mk2 TSOs last year and Mk1s seem few and far between. There are plenty of brake and first class vehicles around. 

Couldn't say exactly when, but around the time the 50 came out they were £23 everywhere, it was a bit weird they were suddenly discounted at a time people were likely to be buying them!

I have checked whether the appearance of the colour is caused by the lighting conditions, but these photographs taken in different lighting conditions suggest a similar lightness:

49545320157_940f4ea45b_b.jpgDapol class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

49592861458_2052219b02_b.jpg50036 by James Petts, on Flickr

49593635112_80cbf0fc69_b.jpg50033 by James Petts, on Flickr

49593353536_c714bf63a9_b.jpg50040 by James Petts, on Flickr

48724305467_191752d7f1_b.jpgDapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

• Like 3