N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

There seem to be some oddities with Dapol paint. Why would rooves be different? And there are other issues. For example, why is the yellow warning panel on class 26s more orange than that on the 33s. They came out at the same time in the same batch - would Dapol really have specified different warning yellows or is this a factory quality control issue? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/09/2020 at 16:37, fezza said:

There seem to be some oddities with Dapol paint. Why would rooves be different? And there are other issues. For example, why is the yellow warning panel on class 26s more orange than that on the 33s. They came out at the same time in the same batch - would Dapol really have specified different warning yellows or is this a factory quality control issue? 

Maybe the 33 and 26 came from different factories, or used different batches of nominaly the same yellow paint?  Just speculating.

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 19:18, 47475 said:

I too have not seen them in the flesh, but from the photos I can find online of the latest 33 in Trainload Construction livery, it looks like they are still using the same incorrect shades they have used on previous triple grey releases. That does not bode well for 50149, unless they finally address the issue.

I finally got hold of a construction 33, and in my opinion the shades are still wrong. Lined up my triple grey sector locos with a couple of Farish to compare, and ever since the 58 it's been wrong

PXL_20201028_163608287.MP.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dapol's colours have always been off. Lemon yellow warning panels on Freightliner locos, green hues on triple grey locos, Network Rail vehicles being a weird colour, dodgy mk3s coaches, purple GBRF locos etc etc. The most annoying thing is that in a lot of cases they start off right and then go wrong. Like the 58 above (and early GBRF locos). If they do the Kernow GBRF 50s in the same purple and deep orange as the "Lesia" 66 I'll be gutted!

Fingers crossed they fix the grey on 50149 too.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stuart A said:

I've "reached out" (hate that phrase!) to Dapol asking them to review the paint shades via email, I'll wait and see if I get a response.

Ha, you'll have a long wait. Myself plus many others have been telling them for a while now. They never listen. I have even sent them the correct BS and Pantone codes, again, they still release incorrect trainload liverys. 

Regards

Anthony 

• Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 17:06, Stuart A said:

I've "reached out" (hate that phrase!) to Dapol asking them to review the paint shades via email, I'll wait and see if I get a response.

The only ever excuse for using the phrase ‘Reach Out’ is if you’re a member of the Four Tops!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...
On 28/10/2020 at 16:41, Stuart A said:

I finally got hold of a construction 33, and in my opinion the shades are still wrong. Lined up my triple grey sector locos with a couple of Farish to compare, and ever since the 58 it's been wrong

PXL_20201028_163608287.MP.jpg

Sector greys varied on the real locos across many classes initially it was the lighter shade in the 80s moving to that more greenish look and the medium grey band could vary too as did the roof shade. Same with warning yellow there where 4 shades as with rail blue there where two or more shades. Same with other colours like executive and swallow liveries there where multiple variations. :) they all look right to me 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

I cant make up my mind what to go for next, in addition to those on dapols fb page it appears theres a few more ltd editions hopefully with the same batch.   Kernow are doing the GBRF pair, DCC supplies are doing Thunderer in Laira blue and fiftyfund are doing Glorious in large logo with grey roof.

3 hours ago, Davexoc said:

The railfreight logo is a bit too big. There should be one block of red/yellow on the tumblehome, with a similarly sized band of grey below that.

Oddly enough Heljan's O gauge Defiance  has exactly the same error.... weird.

Don't think I've ever seen an ex works shot of 149 with silver buffers , but that's a super easy fix.

Jon  

9 hours ago, davebem said:

I cant make up my mind what to go for next, in addition to those on Dapol's fb page it appears there's a few more ltd editions hopefully with the same batch. 

Kernow are doing the GBRF pair, DCC supplies are doing Thunderer in Laira blue and Fiftyfund are doing Glorious in large logo with grey roof.

The FiftyFund and KMRC exclusives have already been released.

10 hours ago, Davexoc said:

The railfreight logo is a bit too big. There should be one block of red/yellow on the tumblehome, with a similarly sized band of grey below that.

6 hours ago, 43179 said:

Oddly enough Heljan's O gauge Defiance  has exactly the same error.... weird.

Don't think I've ever seen an ex works shot of 149 with silver buffers , but that's a super easy fix.

Jon  

The initial artwork seemed to have had that error. I've compiled a list of corrections and sent it to Neil and Joel.

2D-002-005-1200x800.png.023ff1c9ac99d124f7abba0c154276bb.png

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Thanks 2

I’m thinking about trying N gauge again and if I did a 50 would be essential ( never will have room for OO full-length expresses ).

I’ve read the last few pages , am I’m getting the vibe the shape isnt quite right and the manufacturer doesn’t listen , but how Is the running ? That’s a real deal breaker for me.

The last N gauge I had was 1986 - early farish and minitrix ( looks vaguely like a 27 !)

13 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’ve read the last few pages , am I’m getting the vibe the shape isnt quite right and the manufacturer doesn’t listen , but how Is the running ? That’s a real deal breaker for me.

Running is superb, NEXT18 DCC ready with separately controllable head, tail and cab lights.

if you only run DCC you can still isolate tail lights using switches on the PCB - this and the DCC socket are accessible through a removable hatch on the roof.

There are some errors in the shape, but you can’t fault the running.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

The last N gauge I had was 1986 - early farish and minitrix ( looks vaguely like a 27 !)

Running is good with modern mechanisms - we're talking the difference between the 20th century and 21st and any developments and improvements made over time. However, it is still possible to get a Friday afternoon lemon.

Shape is a little different. The Dapol version is a zillion times better than the the old Farish version but not perfect. There are always nuances in shape, real or imagined, where improvements could be made, but then what model doesn't have some 'error' that various owners will find distracting to various degrees. Personally I find the lower body side tuck in/under to be very weak on the Dapol model, but I guess its down to the individual.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

As those above have mentioned the running qualities of the 50 are excellent, it’s a good solid mechanism which is smooth and quiet. 

There are a lot of issues with the shape if you look closely, but it’s the only show in town if you want a 50. 

Tom. 

• Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m thinking about trying N gauge again and if I did a 50 would be essential ( never will have room for OO full-length expresses ).

Mine run smoothly and pull very well

The coupling is body mounted. This is no problem at all on bogie stock but both of mine will throw wagons off the track on anything tighter than Peco  R3. Here is an earlier view of Eagle on the milk train.

Another video of my two on passenger services together with a 1980s railtour favourite.

I get on very well with mine. I'm tempted to get another one.

• Informative/Useful 1

I think the shape overall is pretty good, nothing shouts at me as being unacceptable. Probably the worst bit is the train code box where a train code is used. My Eagle came with a  train code but I modified it to a slightly later condition with a name and dominos on the code box. I think it looks great like that.

• Agree 1