N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

Thanks for the responses so far on this.

Ooh , Dawlish warren, that’s the sort of thing !

I did dabble again in 2002 and 2008, but what doesn’t seem to have changed is the lack of availability / supply.

looking on eBay I’d struggle to put a normal 50 hauled coach train together, there doesn’t seem to be much “ stuff”.

funny enough, people about going up in scale as they get older , well, I think the reverse is in order as things like O gauge need your weathering to be a lot more on point than the smaller scales.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

looking on eBay I’d struggle to put a normal 50 hauled coach train together, there doesn’t seem to be much “ stuff”.

That is a problem unless you have been stockpiling mark 1s and 2s since they were released!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The FiftyFund and KMRC exclusives have already been released.

13 hours ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

The KMRC one has not been released.  It is at the painted sample stage.

+ fifty fund did 049 before, now they are doing 033.

Edited by davebem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The initial artwork seemed to have had that error. I've compiled a list of corrections and sent it to Neil and Joel.

Looking at the pics here I think the red line on the NSE example is a tad on the wide side, if you could add to the list of corrections required! 

Tom.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/05/2021 at 05:29, MGR Hooper! said:

The initial artwork seemed to have had that error. I've compiled a list of corrections and sent it to Neil and Joel.

2D-002-005-1200x800.png.023ff1c9ac99d124f7abba0c154276bb.png

Can I ask if the list of corrections you sent to Dapol was just for the Railfreight version or for the large logo and NSE versions as well? Hattons have this image on their website of the Network SouthEast version and what really jumped out at me was the step in the blue/white join at the top outer corners of the windscreens as you can see:

688EC204-D754-4112-9A4F-5F6DCA2FC1C2.jpeg.f5d3cb03381823ed7c26872602a5861a.jpeg

It doesn’t look good so I really hope they sort that out. There was some variation in the way this livery was applied to various locos but I don’t remember seeing any that looked like that.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Can I ask if the list of corrections you sent was just for the Railfreight version or for the large logo and NSE versions as well? Hattons have an image on their website of the Network SouthEast version and what really jumped out at me was the step in the blue/white join at the cab corners as you can see:

I really hope they sort that out. 

I believe the white should also extend across the top of the nose, between the yellow and the blue on the top edge of the protruding section. 

Tom.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've made some minor (amateur) changes to the artwork to point out the more obvious errors. The rest will be complied in a list and emailed today. I need to go through the thread again and list all the feedback given.

I'll send the email tonight so that there's enough time for people to spot any other errors.

2D-002-005-1200x800.png.4c7c1e2ba574e90924a5fc0ea5dda2a8.png

2D-002-007-1200x800.png.47664622c448b56f121b0a862e2f82ff.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If they can change the number and name on the NSE version to 50027 and ‘LION’ whilst they’re at it, that would be grand :mocking_mini:

Tom.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Can I ask if the list of corrections you sent to Dapol was just for the Railfreight version or for the large logo and NSE versions as well? Hattons have this image on their website of the Network SouthEast version and what really jumped out at me was the step in the blue/white join at the top outer corners of the windscreens as you can see:

It doesn’t look good so I really hope they sort that out. There was some variation in the way this livery was applied to various locos but I don’t remember seeing any that looked like that.

The problem with the cantrail level white band is that the sides are too deep. It shouldn't reach the door window, so the front is about right, the sides need slimming down.

The tumblehome area is about right for 50018, but many others had the grey finish at the tumblehome angle, which lowers the white red white above, which also increases the depth of the blue area as well. The white bordering the yellow could do with slimming and should be extended to the bottom of the tumblehome too.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, TomE said:

If they can change the number and name on the NSE version to 50027 and ‘LION’ whilst they’re at it, that would be grand :mocking_mini:

Tom.  

And make it darker blue too, while they're at it...!

I sent them my feedback on 149 (notably the misplaced logo and the red nameplate), they thanked me for the feedback. See what happens...

• RMweb Premium
On 12/05/2021 at 21:20, Western Aviator said:

For me, this one image is what has finally made me decide not to buy the Dapol 50.  

Even allowing for the seemingly different on nearly every loco application of NSE livery in real life, this looks wrong because the actual face of the model is to my eye, littered with errors, particularly the usual areas of windscreens and that anorexic head code box.

With all the RTR 50's in NSE that have been issued in all scales over the years, not one has been right, one or two have been close but the perfectly executed RTR NSE 50 still doesn't exist.

• Agree 1

@John M Upton So what are you going to buy instead, it's not as if there is another manufacture about to release one.

It's not that bad a model, my blue one looks fine amongst other locos and in truth that is a cruel closeup in the picture, I'd never get that close and get an unblurry image with my eyeball mark 1s.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

For me, this one image is what has finally made me decide not to buy the Dapol 50.  

Even allowing for the seemingly different on nearly every loco application of NSE livery in real life, this looks wrong because the actual face of the model is to my eye, littered with errors, particularly the usual areas of windscreens and that anorexic head code box.

To some extent, I agree. I’m cancelling my pre-order for this one. If Dapol get the decoration on the final version looking halfway decent I’ll think again but if they don’t, I’ll go without. I already have some of the earlier releases (large logo, original NSE and GWR150), which are just about good enough, and am in for the Railfreight version. Luckily this revised NSE version is not really a “must have” for me.

Edited by Western Aviator

Its one of those models where it does convincingly 'look like a 50', it also sits nice and low right on its bogies (unlike most farish models).  But yes, only when you compare it side to side to the original you notice a few shape issues.  Mine has had a lot of running and a right good thrashing and prooved to be reliable smooth and powerfull, infact Im not sure if anyone has noticed but the motor is quite large and has a strong magnetic field around it (it pulls over my scencraft fueling point when parking next to it!).  I think what lets it down is the paint qc issues and the odd design compromise (e.g. there is light leakage between the tail lights/headlight and the coupling design doesnt have enough free sideways play so can yank some wagons off the track).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

For me, the Class 50 was a nice to have rather than an essential purchase.  The price being asked for a non-essential purchase with the errors and inevitable Dapol livery errors is way too much to justify.

If one was found at Ally Pally on their sales stand for sixty quid like when they cleared out their 56's a few years back, I would reconsider it.

I've got four and although they are not perfect, they look okay at normal viewing distance and in operation. 

My main gripe is actually the colour - both Teddy Elgar and the NSE editions were too light and too bright - but they can be toned down with weathering if it bothers you. 

The running of all mine is superb - much better than my Farish Duffs with whom they share the West of England duties... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2021 at 11:58, fezza said:

I've got four and although they are not perfect, they look okay at normal viewing distance and in operation. 

My main gripe is actually the colour - both Teddy Elgar and the NSE editions were too light and too bright - but they can be toned down with weathering if it bothers you. 

The running of all mine is superb - much better than my Farish Duffs with whom they share the West of England duties... 

I only have the one 50 but I agree with you about the running. I have about a dozen Farish 47s and they are prone to pickup issues.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 47475 said:

I only have the one 50 but I agree with you about the running. I have about a dozen Farish 47s and they are prone to pickup issues.

I find that a stay alive helps greatly with the running characteristics of the Farish class 47s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have seen a photo on a Dapol Facebook post and the two tone grey shades do look promising but I think they have used the wrong font for the numbers again.  There was also a photo of the black roof Large Logo version which unfortunately to my eyes accentuates just how badly bodged the front windscreen area is, looks terrible.