N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

Hi everyone,

here attached are the first cad/cam pictures of the class 50 Diesel loco in N gauge.

They were rushed through just before the start of Chinese New Year, and are filled with errors, which to be honest, arent hard to see.

Hybrid roof, front end peaked window ledge and step height, bodyside window missing, sockets missing the coup;ling box out too far, to name but a few.

Still, it's a work in progress.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-66675500-1360232609_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-56955400-1360232625_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-40075000-1360232642_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-62429400-1360232660_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-11641500-1360232678_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

They might be filled with errors but it is a promising start.

I'm sure you will get a lot of input on here about them and this loco will be even better than the western.. If that is possible! :no:

Good luck with this one Dave, I'm up for a few! :senile:

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark,

At the minute i would say apart from DCC compatibility it's no better than the current GF offering, but change what i need them to change and it should be the definitive N gauge class 50 with working lights and DCC compatibility out of the box.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Matt,

the list is as follows;

2D-002-000 D406 BR Blue (unrefurbished)

2D-002-001 50043 BR Blue (unrefurbished)

2D-002-002 50040 'Leviathan' BR Large Logo Blue (refurbished)

2D-002-003 50037 'Illustrious' Original NSE (refurbished)

DCC fitted versions alos available for the models above.

And there will be, in coming months a few special editions announced for a third party too.

cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Finally, finally we are going to get a mass market rtr Class 50 where the cab windows slope away to the sides giving the 'sad eyes' look - I've only seen it done correctly on CJM examples - every other rtr offering in N and OO got it wrong

Promising start, and as you say, most of the CAD errors are obvious

STEVE

Please spend plenty of time tweaking the CAD. Mainly so we get a superb loco but also so MrsJ has forgotten about the last Dapol box in the post before I order one!

Looking v promising as a start, can't wait to get one

• RMweb Gold

Finally, finally we are going to get a mass market rtr Class 50 where the cab windows slope away to the sides giving the 'sad eyes' look - I've only seen it done correctly on CJM examples - every other rtr offering in N and OO got it wrong

Promising start, and as you say, most of the CAD errors are obvious

STEVE

I don't know if it because of this, but I agree with Steve that this CAD drawing catches the character/feel of the 50 in a way that others have not quite managed.

• RMweb Gold

Dave et al,

What a good start - yes to all errors as pointed out , one to watch is the roof vent pics show openside but CAD shows cowl, watch out for nose upper hadrails - D400 not have these- only one of course! possible that first version CAD has wrong MU socket drawn most pics show cube shape. 

Really looking forward to seeing these models , I wonder if the "fantasy liveries" carried in preservation have followers?

Load haul, TTG, and of course the RFD duplication seen at WSMR a whileago. or D400 with headlamp in tail lamp housing? I recall one loco being dual numbered and casuing a fracas is Wales when spotted by a fine JW!

Keep up all the good work Dave

Thanks

Robert

(CJM loco almost in my paws ! )  

Hi Matt,

the list is as follows;

2D-002-000 D406 BR Blue (unrefurbished)

2D-002-001 50043 BR Blue (unrefurbished)

2D-002-002 50040 'Leviathan' BR Large Logo Blue (refurbished)

2D-002-003 50037 'Illustrious' Original NSE (refurbished)

DCC fitted versions alos available for the models above.

And there will be, in coming months a few special editions announced for a third party too.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

It's probably a bit early to say, but are there any estimated timescales for delivery on these?

Best regards,

Jeremy

The class 50s are pretty spoiled for special liveries. Edward Eldar, Defiance, Ark Royal and Valiant.

Not to mention the "Laira departmental blue" carried by Ramilees, Thunderer and (very briefly) Illustrious

And there were *four* different variants of NSE livery,

• 3 months later...

Here's a question for you all.

I don't like the way the coupling box protrudes forward of the buffer beam.

there is an option which I should like to put to you. Namely to remove the front axle gear and have the loco a 1-BOBO-1

this way the coupling box can be pushed back and not be obtrusive.

the loco will max out at 125-150g so should still pull a load, the non powered axle will be pin point and still collect.

thoughts please before I ask for it to happen.

cheers

Dave

CAD looks good to me so far, though I'll leave people more knowledgable on the type to comment any further.

I like the idea with regards the coupling box, your 67 only has 4 powered axles and still shifts a good load. And it's not like the real 50s shifted 4500t of stone along the GWML...

jo

there is an option which I should like to put to you. Namely to remove the front axle gear and have the loco a 1-BOBO-1

the loco will max out at 125-150g so should still pull a load, the non powered axle will be pin point and still collect.

cheers

Dave

sounds  like a workable plan to reduce it  to 1Bo Bo1, if it lacks traction you could always run two.... then it would be prototypical.....

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Firstly thanks for sharing the CAD images. Secondly, I will surely agree with your plan. The coupling box does need to be pushed back a little so your plan seems to be good. From how you have explained it there is not much to lose - it has a pin point axle so no strain, it will collect power so that's good and the Class 67 is Bo-Bo and that's a hit so I don't see any problems.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave

I think the 1-Bo-Bo-1 plan is a good compromise.  Certainly the coupler box as it sits at the moment does protrude considerably further forward than would be preferable.  It's an issue with EE designs and the Farish Class 37 has similar difficulties.

Presumably it wouldn't help if you mounted the coupler on the body and had a pivoting NEM socket using a similar mechanism to your Cargowaggons or steel carriers?  Visually, the coupler pocket on those seems to be around a mm shorter, but I accept it could be an optical illusion and I've not measured with a micrometer.

cheers

Ben A.

I can't see a problem with a 1-Bo-Bo-1 provided you don't have too much weight on the outer axles. 

After all the fabulous (for their day) Life-like E-units were correctly A-1-A A-1-A and they are excellent pullers.

All the very best

Les