N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, R1ch1ew said:

IMG_3960.jpg.f2de2429e117b9097633f4ff059ee4bb.jpg

That sub-sector logo is still looking too large, and the grills aren't exec dar grey, numbers look too large and fuzzy.  But hey the nameplate is now the right colour....

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

maybe they should check them thoroughly in china before shipping them half way around the world... 

Getting staff abroad to places is neither easy (at the moment) nor cheap. For the rare occasion when a whole batch is bad, it is probably not jusified.

Roy

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

You’ve got to feel for the company - thats a lot for cash flow locked up for who knows how long. It’s stressful enough when we as customers have to send a single faulty loco back - imagine having a few thousand and having to send them back to China!

Well done to Dapol for letting us know and I hope they dont lose out as a result. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thats a shame, I was hoping these would show up in time for Christmas.  Curious if they own their own factory and absorb the cost or is it subcontracted out and the factory contractually has to supply to the agreed specifications?

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, davebem said:

Thats a shame, I was hoping these would show up in time for Christmas.  Curious if they own their own factory and absorb the cost or is it subcontracted out and the factory contractually has to supply to the agreed specifications?

I don't believe they own a factory in China, as to the rest, we are very unlikely to ever find out who pays.

2 hours ago, bluedepot said:

maybe they should check them thoroughly in china before shipping them half way around the world... 

DJ Models were the only one I know of where it was claimed that stuff was checked individually - and that was done in China after assembly and before boxing, thus failing to catch packaging errors and things shaken apart in transit.  The cost of getting Dave out to China and back for this to happen no doubt helped DJM's insolvency to increase.......

Just a thought

Les

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Les1952 said:

DJ Models were the only one I know of where it was claimed that stuff was checked individually - and that was done in China after assembly and before boxing...

<snipped>

Les

HI there,

My understanding is that all models are test run in China for a couple of minutes - certainly Revolution ones are - but this is just to check lights work and there aren’t any major problems like seized bogies etc.  They are not run for long enough to properly mesh gears etc which is why running-in is sensible.

It is possible that this PCB issue is not something that was obvious in this cursory test.  Hats off to Dapol for reacting swiftly and decisively when they realised. 

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
On 19/10/2021 at 20:31, Les1952 said:

DJ Models were the only one I know of where it was claimed that stuff was checked individually - and that was done in China after assembly and before boxing, thus failing to catch packaging errors and things shaken apart in transit.  The cost of getting Dave out to China and back for this to happen no doubt helped DJM's insolvency to increase.......

And the moon's made of cheese. I doubt he checked many, if any, despite what the card said.

He once sent me a 'first running sample' to test which had no motor in it. Or gears.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

And the moon's made of cheese. I doubt he checked many, if any, despite what the card said.

He once sent me a 'first running sample' to test which had no motor in it. Or gears.

I did use the word claimed...

I suspect you got the livery prototype.

Funnily enough I bought a secondhand Dapol A3 from Hattons that had no motor, gears or electrics or indeed any evidence of there ever having been any.  It was only after I'd sent it back I looked at it on the website again and noticed the tender lining was also in the wrong place.  I wish now I'd kept it or offered an "as is" price.  What I'd received was the livery prototype of Lemberg.  I still don't know how it had escaped from Dapol.

Les

Edited by Les1952

• 6 months later...

It looks like the latest batch that did the round trip from China and back (to replace the pcbs) is about to hit the shops.  I hope this includes the GBRf pair and the fiftyfund Glorious too.  Rails have them in stock today and 149 is showing a yellow background nameplate and acceptable shades of grey?

Edited by davebem

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, davebem said:

It looks like the latest batch that did the round trip from China and back (to replace the pcbs) is about to hit the shops.  I hope this includes the GBRf pair and the fiftyfund Glorious too.  Rails have them in stock today and 149 is showing a yellow background nameplate and acceptable shades of grey?

Kernow have said that Dapol have told them their exclusive GBRF pair are in the country and should be with them soon. 

17 hours ago, davebem said:

Image of 50149 still shows no Radio Pod on the cab roof  hopefully it's been added.

• 4 months later...

I very much doubt it. Dapol have only relatively recently produced a class 50, which while not perfect, is still high fidelity to modern standards and is massively better than the old Poole Farish version.

Edited by grahame
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Which highly detailed class 37? All that's due soon is new liveries on the existing model (unless I've missed an announcement!).

I think it's highly unlikely we'll see a 50 from Farish. Bachmann don't do one in OO.

If Farish are to duplicate anything in the Dapol catalogue, I'd suggest the 56 is more likely given Bachmann/Farish have announced plans for a class 69.

My guess is that Farish will concentrate on Next18 & sound-ready chassis upgrades where there's still plenty of their existing range to build on. I can't see an all new diesel  being produced any time soon.

Steven B.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Given they tooled up for the refurbished  version, I'm surprised they didn't do a 31/4 in the last batch of releases. I also noticed that the blue and green versions sold out much faster than the sectorisation liveries did. Assuming the same number were produced in each livery, some food for thought there — especially since the liveries had been produced fairly recently, though not in sound-ready form.