N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

12 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Still not very sophisticated though is it? A fan by each work station rather than aircon. I would want a full-on aircon system with dust extraction for that sort of work.

Whilst AC does have some sort of luxury appeal to it, having central air-conditioning is probably more costly than having fans. Note that temperatures in China aren't so bad as compared to some more tropical countries like India etc. A fan at each work station provides enough of cooling for employees and also allows for the employees to turn them off when not in use thus saving power.

In the paint booths there's exhausts with a system to capture stray particles of paint with water droplets. All these are quite effective.

And as already stated, having AC would also result in an increase in costs as the factory itself will be paying higher bills.

7 hours ago, Davexoc said:

If you want to pay even more for your models they could have air-con, but just imagine the furore on here if the manufacturers said that prices were going up £x per item so that their workers could enjoy that....

He also said dust extraction. I'd rather pay more for my models and know that those making them weren't risking their health to do so. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hope not.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Wheres_Wally said:

He also said dust extraction. I'd rather pay more for my models and know that those making them weren't risking their health to do so. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hope not.

Dust extraction is pretty necessary just for keeping the WIP clean, so would probably be already in place. We're talking AC being a costly luxury.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Not so much a rumour, posted on the Dapol Digest yesterday:

Andy Dapol commented

1 day ago

The Fifty Fund have received production samples (i.e. the 1st couple off the production line)., as have we. We will be releasing the models for shipment to the UK during the next week or so...

I assume my highlighted part of the wording, rather than "for shipment within the UK", indicates the main shipment isn't yet on the high seas...

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/diesel/class-50-n/project-managers-blog-al/309-n-gauge-class-50-development?p=8738#post8738

Excitement mounting at s-d b towers.

Regards, Gerry.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just seen model 001 of the Fifty Fund's limited edition of 300 is on eBay. Three days left to run and it’s already nudging £600. It doesn’t appear to be any different to the following 299 but you do get a certificate with number 001 of 300.

Edited by Western Aviator

12 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Just seen model 001 of the Fifty Fund's limited edition of 300 is on eBay. Three days left to run and it’s already nudging £600. It doesn’t appear to be any different to the following 299 but you do get a certificate with number 001 of 300.

I believe that the Fifty Fund was specifically planning to auction no. 001 specially to raise money for its work. People who are prepared to wait another month or so and who are content not to have certificate no. 001 will be able to pay the normal charge of £153 for these; I believe that there may still be some available, as, when I last checked, the website was still taking orders.

One significant conclusion to draw from the fact that this auction is going ahead, however, is that the production samples have probably been approved and that the final shipment has probably been authorised, although one can never be sure of these things, of course.

Edit: The eBay listing gives a very good high resolution picture of the item.

Edited by jamespetts
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One class fifty fan gets to donate £600+ to the Fund to keep the real things running and gets a model in return, which is nice. If you're not fussed about the big donation and just want the model then there are currently over 200 of the Fifty Fund's ltd edition still available to pre-order

https://www.fiftyfundstore.co.uk/product/limited-edition-n-gauge-50049-model-pre-order

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/08/2019 at 21:56, WesternKing said:

What about us lesser mortals that just want the unrefurbished version which ran for the first ten years, how much longer?

I can't remember the exact differences now, but isn't it just a matter of a little model hacking and possibly a re-paint?

Unless, of course, Dapol are planning to do an unrefurbished version. Might be worth checking with them on their Dapol Digest website/forum.

On 24/08/2019 at 09:43, njee20 said:

They are, two, pre and post-TOPS in blue. In the next month or two. 

Exactly, and what I could not understand from the photos of the model was that the position of the jumper cables on the refurbished was wrong, but in the unrefurbished more or less correct.

Never found out if this was corrected

es grüßt 

pc

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Padishar Creel said:

Exactly, and what I could not understand from the photos of the model was that the position of the jumper cables on the refurbished was wrong, but in the unrefurbished more or less correct.

es grüßt 

pc

I guess we’ll find out fairly soon as Dapol have stated the models are in the shipping process. The issue with the jumper cables was certainly highlighted on the Digest part of Dapol's website over a year ago and acknowledged by Dapol so there really should be no excuse for them being incorrect. It would be great to see some photos of the Fifty Fund's model of 50049 out of the box to see what we can expect. Can anybody on here arrange that?

4 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

es grüßt 

pc

I never knew there was a difference. I guess this is referring to the multiple working cables. I am currently looking at a decent colour picture of an unrefurbished and a refurbished 50 standing side by side and I cannot see any difference in the cables. In both  cases, just inside of the small red lights.

36 minutes ago, andy stroud said:

I never knew there was a difference. I guess this is referring to the multiple working cables. I am currently looking at a decent colour picture of an unrefurbished and a refurbished 50 standing side by side and I cannot see any difference in the cables. In both  cases, just inside of the small red lights.

hallo,

are you referring to the models? Look at the socket to the extreme left if you are looking at photos for example on the Hattons site. It should be lower than its immediate neighbouring socket. In the refurbished version Dapol had/has this placed higher

es grüßt 

pc

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WesternKing said:

So how much longer till we can get our hands on them?

AFAIA it was mentioned two weeks ago on Dapol Digest that they were in the shipping process with still a few weeks to go before they were expected to arrive. As a 'few' was mentioned rather than two or a couple I suspect there's still one or two weeks to go at the quickest.

G

• Thanks 1