N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

Hi Jeremiah,

your enthusiasm is wonderful. :locomotive:

Sorry but these processes take time and I have nothing to add to what you already know at the moment from this thread.

Rest assured though that as soon as I know something I will be posting here.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi  I understand CADs being checked for frontal tweaks but the to and fro-ing to China still takes ages despite electronic means - work load levels for designers I guess, still waiting for solid progress I guess but getting it right  seems a good idea to me.

When you look at CADS Dave published a while back a few tweaks and the odd window! needed sorting - having 56 MU equipment on front and amount of cab angle to check along with a concern with a friend over location of start of bodyside tuck under being high I spoke to Joel a while back - so it might be my fault - sorry !!!!!  Given merry go round of projects and the pipeline to and from China I can see it taking a while to recreate CAD among the 20 or so projects Dapol have on the go from Pacers - steam locos - through OO and O projects.

Hopefully something "solid" this year!!         

Robert  

• 6 months later...

Be interesting to look at the models that appeared in 2014 from both Dapol and Farish and compare them with the original due dates when first announced.

Though when it comes to the biggest time gap, I think the Peco HAA is the clear winner.

Edited by Tim H

Did we see any new Dapol N gauge mouldings in 2014? I'll believe in new Dapol models only when I see them, these days.

It just goes to emphasize what a one man band Dapol really seems to be, product development wise - Dave was a N gauge modeller, so we got loads of new models; his part time replacements are O gauge modellers (correct me if I'm wrong) and so N gauge has really be left to moulder on the back burner altogether. 

• Like 1

It is a strange one and a lot of the big N gauge projects seem to have been kicked into the bushes... I've been patiently waiting for the TGS and Falcon wagons for what seems like an age now, its is no good for British N gauge which was really benefitting from two manufacturers going at each other hammer and tongs!

It is a strange one and a lot of the big N gauge projects seem to have been kicked into the bushes... I've been patiently waiting for the TGS and Falcon wagons for what seems like an age now, its is no good for British N gauge which was really benefitting from two manufacturers going at each other hammer and tongs!

Yeah, Dapol joining the N gauge market really gave Bachmann a kick up the backside as until then they had very long lead times for their new models. What was it six?? years for the Farish Class 60 to finally appear after being announced? I've been patiently waiting for Dapol's Class 142 for over five years now and suspect that they have sidelined it like their Pendelino and 92 models.

I suspect that Dave Jones leaving the company has had quite a big impact on their production of new models and it's taking them a while to get their momentum back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi , A while back I spent time with folk at SVR looking over the class 50 and this highlighted a couple of additional issues with the face of the 50 and some more work was commissioned on the CAD work Dapol Dave had worked upon. Hopefully these are nearly done and some work done on liveries for them as well.

As Dave found the PCBs are a weak spot when produced in China so Andy came on board from DCC supplies to add his techincal excellence. He is like me an N gauger but business eats into the hours available.

Some design work done on 142 but as with all 4 wheel vehicles getting an effective drive is fun - I have been looking at Kato parts to do the 3D print version not that easy to shoehorn in bits and have some internals.  

TGS makes its way - Livery details checked and corrected. No doubt Chinese New year hiccup will come into play so early summer is my bet... not taking money!!  

Still I am sure it will work out in the end.  Agree with Ben on IOA and Falcon boxes.  

robert