A visit to Alphington

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I had occasion to make a work-related visit to the Alphington scrap branch in Exeter today, so here are a few photos taken on my walk along the track (please note all done in full high vis and under safe conditions):

The view looking towards the main line:

post-57-0-30831100-1360264856.jpg

post-57-0-18737500-1360264867.jpg

Looking the other way, towards the scrap yard:

post-57-0-67296400-1360264917.jpg

Walking a bit further on, towards the bridge over the road through the industrial estate:

post-57-0-01721500-1360264932.jpg

post-57-0-80557800-1360264945.jpg

It's really not much further to the gates to the scrap yard:

post-57-0-20197000-1360264979.jpg

post-57-0-72727900-1360264993.jpg

Taken through the gates, the view of the track as it would originally have curved away towards Ide, Longdown and Heathfield:

post-57-0-66171100-1360265032.jpg

post-57-0-28235100-1360265045.jpg

Turning around, the view back towards the main line and City Basin:

post-57-0-15674200-1360265076.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I've always felt this branch was underused, considering it goes right into the largest industrial estate in Exeter.

Its also a shame that it would be difficult/expensive to extend it at the far end to become a suburban branchline/park & ride.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

GBRf ran its first train of 2013 on the branch today with 66711 at the helm of 6C55 Cardiff to Exeter via Newton Abbot and the 6B56 return Exeter to Cardiff. The picture shows the shunting before departure taken from the B and Q car park (which the former trackbed to the old good yard (the B and Q site) can be seen used as the road/track :) Tony

post-3381-0-97846900-1363209908_thumb.jpg

and the link to the shots at Newton Abbot and Dawlish early this morning :)

http://antony-christie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/gbrf-66711-on-6c55-scrap-at-newton.html

• Like 13

Why via Newton Abbot? Is Riverside still DBS infrastructure? 

It does also have the advantage that you can back the whole train onto the branch in one go, with no need to do (multiple) runrounds of parts of train on-site.

Edited by Glorious NSE

• RMweb Gold

GBRF are now aware of the option of using Riverside, as most of the yard is now back with NR, but for the moment, they have chosen to stick to their original train plan, which is via Newton Abbot. This will be reviewed in due course, at their convenience.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've always felt this branch was underused, considering it goes right into the largest industrial estate in Exeter.

Its also a shame that it would be difficult/expensive to extend it at the far end to become a suburban branchline/park & ride.

Matford? :P

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The very end of the line....(currently?!)....! Had 'Matford (park & ride)' really existed it would have been a few hundred metres further on!

Snap taken on a hot summer afternoon some years ago whilst accompaning the Captain.  Probably now totally overgrown. A bit further back there was some interesting  

pointwork in all the undergrowth.

post-6728-0-42637800-1364125058_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It was good to see a decent amount of freight in South Devon this morning - ColasRail Class 56 being prepped in the old Platform 9 at Newton Abbot, prior to working the timber train back up to Chirk this afternoon, a DBS Class 66 running through St Davids station with scrap wagons for Alphington, a Hanson stone train in No.14 Road, Riverside Yard, and a rake of bogie clay wagons on No.1 Road, Riverside Yard...

Steam charters today and tomorrow with Clan Line - arriving this afternoon at St Davids (via Honiton) with 1Z90 at 1732, and then running at 0813 tomorrow morning (Fri 10/5/13) to Cardiff (but via Okehampton and back!!).

• Like 3

It was good to see a decent amount of freight in South Devon this morning - ColasRail Class 56 being prepped in the old Platform 9 at Newton Abbot, prior to working the timber train back up to Chirk this afternoon,

And here it is on schedule at Sprey Point slowing down for the continuing TSR for the cliff fall works - video a bit rubbish after the HST passes but trimming MP4s is not a straightforward task (for me anyway, just end up with a format that is only useable in the editing software).

Edited by 10800
  • Like 7

It was good to see a decent amount of freight in South Devon this morning

Yes but would be even better if some could develop further west such as scrap from Plymouth(again) or the on/off intermodals to Plymouth/Truro.

Nice - it's reminded me I need to catch the logs again to shoot the new blue wagons in their current incarnation...

There's a basic video editor within YouTube by the way, can't recall whether you can crop or not but i'd expect you can?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes but would be even better if some could develop further west such as scrap from Plymouth(again) or the on/off intermodals to Plymouth/Truro.

I quite agree and some of us are working extremely hard towards that worthy goal!

• Like 8

I quite agree and some of us are working extremely hard towards that worthy goal!

Appreciate the hard work being done CK. What's the current situation with this new traffic? I know some work was done to get Truro ready but heard there had been a setback?

• RMweb Gold

Appreciate the hard work being done CK. What's the current situation with this new traffic? I know some work was done to get Truro ready but heard there had been a setback?

Can't really comment in public, but all is not totally lost, work still going on re one of the sites (PM sent).

The very end of the line....(currently?!)....! Had 'Matford (park & ride)' really existed it would have been a few hundred metres further on!

Snap taken on a hot summer afternoon some years ago whilst accompaning the Captain.  Probably now totally overgrown. A bit further back there was some interesting  

pointwork in all the undergrowth.

attachicon.gifimg029a.jpg

Matford Park and ride does exist now known as the Green park and ride service by Stagecoach Southwest from Exeter cattle market into the city centre