00 Birchwood (Fictional)

508EMU

Hi everybody, I have recently started a new layout project in 00.

The layout is 78 inches by 44 inches, 00 scale and is DCC.

Based in the North West of England this modern image layout has (will have) Class 150, 153, 142, 220/221, 37, 47 and various other stuff as I buy it, but that is what I have so far.

At the moment the base board has just been put down and there is a small oval track there while I fit DCC decoders to my trains and test them.

I am currently waiting for the rest of the track to arrive in the post so that I can build my two oval tracks, with crossover and a siding.

I have posted some images of the layout in the current state, have edited one in paint to show where the track will go.

post-3624-12622699158641_thumb.jpg

A track plan drawn over a picture of the Baseboard in paint.

post-3624-12622696934806_thumb.jpg

The layout so far, the oval track on the layout is just for testing my DCC trains as I fit the chips and is not permanant.

post-3624-12622696847797_thumb.jpg

A close up of my new Bachmann class 150/1 model.

More to come as my layout progresses.

Luke :P

Thanks for the comments everybody.

I will have a virgin class 220 running on the layout for now until I buy the 221, maybe even a 57/3 will be used if I buy one!

The 150 is a great runner, but they are a pain to join the two cars together.. :huh:

I have rooted out some buildings from my previous layout, and have given them a clean up so they should appear on the layout quite soon.

I may buy a Northern 156 at some point in the future, that would fit in quite nicely! :D

Thanks again for the interest!

DONT buy a Hornby class 156

The detail is poor and the motor not up to much-I bought one and even with a Lenz decoder it still runs not that great,jumping a few inches when starting and stopping!

I have a couple of Hornby 156s fitted with Lenz standard decoders and they run just fine. As I understand it, jerky running can sometimes be cured by tinkering with the appropriate CVs?

As for the detail - overall it's not that bad. Small 5-minute jobs like fitting the orange warning lights on the coach sides make a world of difference. A Hurst underframe detailing kit and the Express Models lighting kit can really bring the model to life though.

Here is a picture of an older Lima model fitted with the underframe kit.

DONT buy a Hornby class 156

The detail is poor and the motor not up to much-I bought one and even with a Lenz decoder it still runs not that great,jumping a few inches when starting and stopping! :angry: :)

My 8 year old brother got a Central Trains one for christmas a few years ago.. (DC) We gave it a run and after one run around the loop the train just stopped. We never did get a refund.. :(

I'll just stick with what I have for now.. maybe buy a DCC sound class 60 for use on coal trains in the future though, they do run in the area im basing the layout on!

Thanks for the interest, quite a bit has changed already!

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm what a coincidence.....my layout is also called Birchwood!

Although its set in 009, somewhere in the midlands...with a 00/009 exchange station.....where did you get the name from? i got it from a school round the corner from my house! lol

martin

Hi

good to see a new update,is the baseboard the bottom of a bunk bed? :blink:

I would get a sound 60 if I was you,they operate with 59s on the fiddlers ferry curcuit and although they dont pass through Birchwood they would look good coupled to some Bachmann HTAs. :D

Regards

Lewis

Its called Birchwood partly because of the Birchwood on the Liverpool - Manchester line, and partly because my surname is Birch ;)

Yes, my layout is on the bottom of a bunk bed! :lol:

I am planning on extending the board out towards where I took the picture and I will build a yard/TMD aswell.

I do plan to get that DCC sound 60, but with my money saving skills i doubt ill ever get it! :(

Thanks for the interest, ill update as things progress,

• 3 weeks later...

Trackwork almost complete now! The 150/1 is now DCCfitted, although has some issues wth the lights, ill get that sorted!I now have a merseyrail 150/2 DCC fitted aswell. I will upload pictures soon!

Luke :D

I was thinking of putting a cross over there, but i decided to be a pain and not! :lol:

I am building some sidings on an extension to the board which i havnt started on yet! more pictures to come! :D

• 7 months later...

Ah another Northern style layout :D Looking very good so far, look forward to the further updates!

Quick question about the 150's, as I got the Regional one myself (Not the Liverpool one, t'other one, 150270)

You say it's a good runner. What's it like speed wise, as mine is painfully slow, even when running round a continuous loop, it definatley lacks pace in comparison to the multiple 158's and 142's on the layout.... It's been slow since I got it, so I thought it could well just be the way the model is? Just doesn't seem right thats all to be so slow.

As for the Northern 156, I have both of those released, and I think they are quite good models. Little basic, but as has been mentioned before, there are pleanty of kits out there to add the additional detailing if required. I would reccomend one if you are thinking of expanding your "Northern" scene.

The 150 is a great runner, but they are a pain to join the two cars together.. :huh:

I may buy a Northern 156 at some point in the future, that would fit in quite nicely! :D

My class 150s arnt the fastest things in the world! The 150/2 is faster thant the 150/1, but they arnt amazingly fast, but not too slow either.

I will try and get a 156, it cant be set in Liverpool area without one!

Luke

Ah so it's not just mine then! The layouts in the loft so it's got uber slow over the cold weather...hopefully a trip around my loops will speed it up!

The Northern 156 - They are becoming quite sparse in Model shops aren't they? I got mine from Skipton last year, the last one they had. I know my local model shop had one in last time I visited...Only one thing though, they don't come with 00 scale gaffatape from Newton Heath :lol:

Archived