Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

To be  honest I  am  not  sure  if  the  L&B  project  will progress  or  not now  as   its  allocated  space  seems  to  be  sort  of  getting  used   up  by  a  larger  scale  interloper  from  across  the  pond!

• Like 1

To be honest I am not sure if the L&B project will progress or not now as its allocated space seems to be sort of getting used up by a larger scale interloper from across the pond!

Care to elaborate on this statement a bit? Some sort of evidence or sources for your knowledge of production slots for example?

Considering how far theyve got with tooling and running samples, I'd be surprised if Heljan happily threw all that money away. I'm open to being proved wrong though, and if that's the case, my already saved money can go to Backwoods for one, or more of theirs!

Cheers

J

Care to elaborate on this statement a bit? Some sort of evidence or sources for your knowledge of production slots for example?

Considering how far theyve got with tooling and running samples, I'd be surprised if Heljan happily threw all that money away. I'm open to being proved wrong though, and if that's the case, my already saved money can go to Backwoods for one, or more of theirs!

Cheers

J

I think he meant his own personal L&B themed project (though I could be wrong!).

Yes Steve is playing with G scale again, he's not talking about Heljan ;)

Not  quite  G  though  a  slightly  Narrower  gauge  in  the  Garden  ( sourced  mainly  from  Track-Shack)   and  an  even  narrower  gauge  in  the  shed  ( but  not  as  Narrow  as 00-9)

You will note  that   my  only  locations  now  are  Garden  &  Shed  (Oh  and Garage)  As  I  am  now  banned  from  the  actual  house!!

Edited by Stevelewis

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know or heard if Heljan have said they may produce the MW tanks in early condition, with smaller cabs , as delivered to the L&B?

(I am not holding my breath!)

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

Looks possible from the tooling, see separate cab in photo on page 6, but I guess it will depend on how they sell this batch as nothing announced on it yet.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks possible from the tooling, see separate cab in photo on page 6, but I guess it will depend on how they sell this batch as nothing announced on it yet.

Thanks Paul, having looked at the photo on page 6, l can now see how a Lew can be easily added to the range, so an as built model would not be that difficult. As for the sale of this batch, l think these locos will fly off the shelves

Bob C

I wonder if some kind soul here with a greater knowledge of the subject than I could please comment upon the accuracy of the Yeo model, the one in L&B livery?

I note Blobrick's comment about the cabs being smaller as originally supplied, and this begged the question when a larger cab was fitted to Yeo; was it even in L&B days?

Peco, I know, produced L&Y livery coaches with tooling accurate for the SR version (apparently there should be toplights for the L&B period.  Hatton's 4800 is a semi-con, because it includes liveries not generally associated with the wartime modifications that its tooling contains. 

In short, I am starting to get a bit paranoid about RTR releases!

The two pictures below seems to suggest (1) As originally supplied, Yeo's cab did not extend over the bunker, but (2) shows an extended cab, but Yeo still appears to be in L&B livery. 

Any dates, details and confirmation of the position would be very welcome.

post-25673-0-26503800-1469103293.jpg

post-25673-0-22311000-1469103305.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It appears that L&B livery is correct for both cabs fitted to this loco, so Heljan appear to be making an authentic model, where's the problem with that? They describe it as L&B livery which it is and not L&B period, which it may or may not be (no, I can't be bothered to look it up, either).

Most r-t-r models have to be fiddled with to some extent if one chooses a limited time span to model, even those of us who settle on the more popular eras in railway history. I'm modelling 1960 and whether Hornby's Radial No.30582 is "accurate" depends on whether I choose Spring or Autumn.

I suggest Edwardian might do his own research as to whether this particular model suits his needs rather than just inviting the rest of us to pass him ammunition to fire at yet another manufacturer just because a model may not exactly fit his chosen parameters.

It's not as if there isn't plenty of published material on the L&B.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They were originally supplied with an extension on the front of the cab which was removed as it trapped steam from the exhaust obscuring the drivers front windows the bunker was also boxed in then. These were removed in L& B days. Lew was a later build by the Southern Rly so can only carry SR livery and has a subtlety different cab with a flat back while the other three Taw, Exe & Yeo can carry either livery and the top of the cab back is stepped out.

The rtr models are fine as they stand and Heljan has sensibly modelled the later style do they can carry either livery. As I said earlier a new cab for the early L&B only livery is possible in the tooling ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

They were originally supplied with an extension on the front of the cab which was removed as it trapped steam from the exhaust obscuring the drivers front windows the bunker was also boxed in then. These were removed in L& B days. Lew was a later build by the Southern Rly so can only carry SR livery and has a subtlety different cab with a flat back while the other three Taw, Exe & Yeo can carry either livery and the top of the cab back is stepped out.

The rtr models are fine as they stand and Heljan has sensibly modelled the later style do they can carry either livery. As I said earlier a new cab for the early L&B only livery is possible in the tooling ;)

Now do I buy enough to do the whole fleet in case they don't d any more and modify them or not. Decisions decisions!

Did not Backwoods do an etched brass conversion cab kit for their kit version of the original L&B ? It altered the original to the later, but Heljan are doing the later style. Might try one of the brass kits after getting the RTR Heljan, as a second one is a costly exercise at the price, and may be even higher with exchange rates the way they are at present.

I think the Baldwin from Bachmann will be bought first, and could be done in L&B livery, give or take an axle or two..........depends on how long to wait for it.......

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Did not Backwoods do an etched brass conversion cab kit for their kit version of the original L&B ? It altered the original to the later, but Heljan are doing the later style. Might try one of the brass kits after getting the RTR Heljan, as a second one is a costly exercise at the price, and may be even higher with exchange rates the way they are at present.

I think the Baldwin from Bachmann will be bought first, and could be done in L&B livery, give or take an axle or two..........depends on how long to wait for it.......

Stephen.

I've not seen the cab etch sold on its own as I think the kit catered for both. Then there was a separate kit for Lew. While the backwoods ones make lovely models it does help to do a bit of modification if you want to make future servicing easier to access the drive mech.

I haven't actually built their MW kit but it appears that this issue was common to all models from comments on other fora. Still the best kit there's been up till now ;)

The cab kit is separate in the list from Backwoods, what puts me off a bit is the design of the chassis, it has to be assembled in one go, you can't easily test them as you work along, it's all or nothing, or re-design it your self. I have the Canopus and the Hudswell Clarke 060 diesel, both had problems with the flycranks, which I exchanged with home produced ones to cure slipping on the axle tips.

But the major problem were the gears, they now work, but needed a new framed gearbox structure to get the smoothly in alignment. Very nice bodies and details though, but could do with a better chassis design on some of them.

Stephen.

It appears that L&B livery is correct for both cabs fitted to this loco, so Heljan appear to be making an authentic model, where's the problem with that? They describe it as L&B livery which it is and not L&B period, which it may or may not be (no, I can't be bothered to look it up, either).

Most r-t-r models have to be fiddled with to some extent if one chooses a limited time span to model, even those of us who settle on the more popular eras in railway history. I'm modelling 1960 and whether Hornby's Radial No.30582 is "accurate" depends on whether I choose Spring or Autumn.

I suggest Edwardian might do his own research as to whether this particular model suits his needs rather than just inviting the rest of us to pass him ammunition to fire at yet another manufacturer just because a model may not exactly fit his chosen parameters.

It's not as if there isn't plenty of published material on the L&B.

John

Sorry, John, I did specify "kind soul", which bit you evidently missed as you rushed to slam me down!

I hope you found that cathartic, nonetheless.

Had I world enough and time to be an expert on every aspect of the prototype that interests me, doubtless I would never need to ask a question!  Alas, I am not so blessed!