Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

Hattons  just  announced  a  further  4  L&B 2-6-2T  variants  as  previously  mentioned  due  apparently   'around  the  end  of  the  year'  pre  order price  is  £160!  but  this  may apparently  alter

The four new liveries (second batch) are reported due at end of 2017 at an increased RRP according to Hattons, though they appear to be offering them for £160:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1398113026875792&id=217917844895322

If  you check  back  to  the  original  announcement back in 2013  Hattons   preorder price  was  £146  against  the  RRP   of  £189.50,

Hattons  understandably  increased  the  preorder  price  to  the RRP  when  it  became  clear  that the  first  run  was  going  to be sold out,  (as confirmed  by Heljan in their  full page  ad  in  the  MAY RM)

As   has been  mentioned  the  2nd run  will command  a  Higher RRP  ( understandable  as  the  model  is  effectively over 4 years old  since  initial announcement of  batch 1)

If  a  notional 10% is  added to  Hattons  Batch 1  initial preorder price  of  £146  we  arrive  at Approx £160  which  would  seem  to  indicate  that  the  2nd  Batch RRP  will possibly  be  in  the  region of £209 .

Although  I would  expect  the  2nd  Batch  to   sell more  slowly  than the  first  batch, given  the  limited number of 00-9 modellers  and  the  fact  that  by the  end of 2017  there  will also  be  another 00-9 RTR quality  loco available  ( hopefully)

Has  any  one  who  has  actually  handled  the  loco(s)  which  have appeared  at  exhibitions  etc  got  any details  of  the  weight  of  the  2-6-2T?

I am in the process  of  layout  building,   which incorporates a    gradient   which is temporarily  laid  to  test,  as  may be  expected   the Minitrains*  locos even with additional  ballast   are not  too  keen with  anything  more  than 2 L&B  coaches    wheras  the  Roco & Bemo locos  don't  even  notice  that  there  is  a  gradient!

Gradient  is  approx  1:25

* Minitrains  2-6-2  & 0-8-0

Edited by Stevelewis

It feels nice and heavy in the hand Steve so it should hardly notice the L&B stock ;)

I thought  that  would  be  the  case,  given  my  experience  of  previous  Heljan 0 & 00  purchases  never  known  any  to  be   lightweight!

I must  pay  more  attention!  

When  I  read  reviews in  the  mags!

If  I  did  I  would  have  read  that  the RM review of  the  L&B 2-6-2T in  Last  months  copy  states  the  weight  as  a  Hefty  138 Grams  as  a  comparison  the Minitrains  2-6-2T  weighs only   44gms!

The  Minitrains  loco is  71mm long  over  buffer beams,  whilst  the  Manning  Wardle   is  92mm long  ( according  to  the  4mm scale  drawing in Chris  Leigh's   L&B Railway  book)

The  review also  says  that  the  loco will negotiate 9"  radius  curves  but  it  is  a  bit  like  driving  a  Bus  around  a  Mini roundabout!  And  it  is  happiest  on  the  12" &18"  009 points.

Apologies  for  harping  on  about  loco  weights,  but  I believe  that   approproate  weight, provided  it  is  in  the  right  place  in a  loco does result  in  good  performance!

The  weight  of  the  Manning  Wardle  as  reported in Railway  Modeller  is  138gm,

To put  that  in  context  the  typical  weight  of  an  N  Gauge  2-6-2  or  2-6-4  tank loco  is  typically in  the  range  55  to 60 gms.  ( Farish  standard  tanks quoted here)

These  locos  perform  well,   so  the 009 L&B loco  should  be  a  cracker!!

Edited by Stevelewis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well here  we  are  its   Mid  MAY,  no one  seems  to  have  heard  any  further  re  the  locos  arriving,  I have  just  spoken  to  Hattons  who  advised  they   have  no  updates  from  the  last  Mid  May  info

I enquired with  Heljan  if  they  could  give  an  update on  arrival of  the  Locos,

The  first  part  of  the  complete  order  should  arrive  Late  May/Early  June  and  the  remainder   in  June/July

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I enquired with  Heljan  if  they  could  give  an  update on  arrival of  the  Locos,

The  first  part  of  the  complete  order  should  arrive  Late  May/Early  June  and  the  remainder   in  June/July

I can't stand the suspense, and neither can my credit card...

According to discussion elsewhere they have a "technical issue" with them so they are delayed... No more detail forthcoming than that...

One  of  the  retailers  said  exactly  the  same  thing  a  couple  of  days  ago,  I will email  Heljan  and  ask!

Edited by Stevelewis

Info  from  Heljan:

420  locos  are  being  despatched  to  retailers  TODAY,  this apparently  represents only  part  of  the  first  production  run,  more  will be  despatched  July  &  August  to  complete  the   production  run.  

Retailer  in UK I deal  with  confirms  this   also  said  TAW is not  in  the  1st  420

I am  posting  this  info  in  good  faith,  from  the  info  I  have  received!

So  fingers  crossed.

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

My local model shop tells me that they have been dispatched and expected tomorrow

I think he said they were Sourthern Liveried stock

Very tempted

Looks  that  way,  but  I  reckon  Taw  won't  be  far  behind  (hopefully :locomotive: )

Selfishly, Taw being delayed is fantastic as if it slips past next weekend, the old credit card bill gets pushed off to August before its due.  If it slips a month to beyond mid July, even better for my bank balance.

Though the modeller side of me wants it to arrive so I can get it out, run it, and put it to use!

Stephen

My local model shop tells me that they have been dispatched and expected tomorrow

I think he said they were Sourthern Liveried stock

Very tempted

The  email  I recvd  from  Heljan  said  that  the  420 locos  were being  despatched  to  retailers 'Today'  (ie Thursday)   so I would  imagine  it  to   take  perhaps 3 working  days to deliver  from Denmark to the  UK,  Unless  they  are already in the  UK  and being despatched by a  UK company!? 

OH!   Just  noticed  I  have  posted #500  did we  not  say earlier  that  500  was  the  magic  number!!

Edited by Stevelewis

Guest Midland Mole

I got to hold an Exe today. It was a nice little loco, looked well executed. But being Heljan, I take nothing for granted and would like to see it running before I decide if it is a quality model or not.

Had i been planning on getting one, the price would definitely have sent me running so I am glad it is not one I am really interested in buying.

Alex