Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

Steve- I'm sorry but not entirely surprised to hear this. I'm afraid I'm a sceptic and when I read that you were buying a third I considered placing a bet on it failing.......seriously though, is there some suggestion that the motion is assembled using an adhesive of some sort? I must have missed that in the thread!

When  N0.3  fell to  pieces in the  motion  area   I had  a good  look at  the  way the  pin  was  retained on  the  crank from the  extended centre  axle, using  magnifying  glass  etc  and  very bright light. but I could not see anything at  all  it  looked  like  a push fit, (I checked to see if  any sort of  retaining clip had fallen off  but nothing  found).

It was  reported  sometime ago when  the  valve gear failures started to occur  that the pivot pins were secured with adhesive,  the latest theory is that  the lubrication which is applied at the factory (and they do  seem to lubricate as far as I can tell) seems to  cause the adhesive to lose  its  grip over time ,  it is particularly noticeable  that  all my failures have occurred on the left hand valve gear and 2 or 3 others I know  of were the same  left side failures,   the locos were packed on receipt facing the left side of the  box,  so  this would indicate that  the  adhesive on the  left side would be affected more than  the  right hand  side as gravity would  draw the  right hand side adhesive down and  away from the  valve gear,

This  assumes  that  the locos in their individual boxes are packed in to shipping  cartons left side up,( which is the case in the one  I saw in a retailer).

We probably will never  really  know  what  the problem was caused by,  but it  is  sad  to note  that  there  are   thousands of M&W size steam locos in use  in  N Gauge around the  world  and valve gear  failure on such a large  scale as the MW is unheard of  (correct me  if  I am  wrong)

Adhesive is used quite a lot in industry, aerospace was my area before retirement. There could be several reasons for an adhesive joint failure, sometimes in combination. Components must be properly cleaned. An appropriate one or two part adhesive used. There must be sufficient contact area for the expected loads. The adhesive must be cured correctly, also, and maybe relevant in this case, the adhesive should not be susceptible to attack by likely contaminants. There might also be aging issues.

All this might sound a bit exotic for a model engine but something is obviously wrong and it may be adhesive related. Variability, ie some fail some don't, could even be incorrect assembly by one individual.

• RMweb Gold

Steve and I had a chat about this the other day and it does appear to be a assembly process failure rather than actual physical design.

I also had a chat with Andrew Burnham today and it's been a real mixed bag with a pile of random failures but not as excessive percentage wise as first it appeared, these haven't been returned en mass but slightly more than usual failure rate hence the change of supplier so you can read into that there's been a subsequent issue too.

Thanks to Steve's photos proving the pin is sliding out rather than ripping out by twisting either there's not enough adhesive / tolerance holding the pin or it's the wrong kind.

Bemo Ge4/4-3's drive failures are down to them not splining or loctiting the shaft into the Delrin joint so it's not the only manufacturer to have issues, all 5 I had failed at one or both ends and had to be loctited.

Cheap superglue isn't good enough if oil and grease are around, you need a proper loctite type securing it, so it may also be contamination on the pieces as they are assembled preventing it sticking well and working loose easier which I find more likely than it seeping in with those tight fits.

Anyway Heljan have come up with a solution.

Adhesive is used quite a lot in industry, aerospace was my area before retirement. There could be several reasons for an adhesive joint failure, sometimes in combination. Components must be properly cleaned. An appropriate one or two part adhesive used. There must be sufficient contact area for the expected loads. The adhesive must be cured correctly, also, and maybe relevant in this case, the adhesive should not be susceptible to attack by likely contaminants. There might also be aging issues.

All this might sound a bit exotic for a model engine but something is obviously wrong and it may be adhesive related. Variability, ie some fail some don't, could even be incorrect assembly by one individual.

Totally  off the  subject  but  sort  of  related,   I  have  heard  that  2  part  adhesives  are  used  to help  fit   aircraft  wings?  One  tends  to  get   quite  a  few tall stories in my  locality  from  workers  at  Airbus Industries ( Aerospace)  whose  Broughton ( Hawarden) wing  facility is  but  5  miles  away!

We experience several  Beluga  loads  of  wings flying  over  our  house every week  at 1500',  even  after  20 years  of  the Belugas  existence  I still go into  the  Garden  to  watch  them, wife  thinks  I  am  daft!

• Like 2

Other people could probably answer with more up to date information as mine is limited to engines but certainly two part adhesive has been used for aluminium to aluminium bonding in the past in wing and fuselage construction. I've no idea how airliner wings are attached but smaller busjets are attached by close tollerance bolts ie bolts with a very tight fitting diameter.

One thing that I hadn't realised until seeing the latest photos, is that the coupling rods only appear to join the middle and rear wheels - is that correct? Presumably this is because of lack of space.

If I understand it correctly, the wheels are gear driven so the whole motion could be a static etch, for all the difference it would make on THAT score

Edited by rockershovel

One thing that I hadn't realised until seeing the latest photos, is that the coupling rods only appear to join the middle and rear wheels - is that correct? Presumably this is because of lack of space.

If I understand it correctly, the wheels are gear driven so the whole motion could be a static etch, for all the difference it would make on THAT score

No  loco to  check now!  but  as  far   as  I recall  the  coupling rods linked  all wheels  being  jointed  at  the  centre axle  crank,  only  2  axles  are  gear  driven  from memory  these  at  the   centre  & rear ones,  any one  with a loco please  check to confirm  this!!  Further photo of  my now  returned number 3  atached

post-10539-0-16556100-1506849764.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No loco to check now! but as far as I recall the coupling rods linked all wheels being jointed at the centre axle crank, only 2 axles are gear driven from memory these at the centre & rear ones, any one with a loco please check to confirm this!! Further photo of my now returned number 3 atached

Locos are driven from rear two axles. So far mine is ok but only brief tests until I build/ have access to a layout to run properly.

The movement of the rods and motion is one of the distinctive features of the L&B Manning Wardles. A static etch certainly would not do - particularly on a model costing nearly £200. On test, so far, mine is OK. I spoke to an exhibitor at Woody Bay who had one on his layout and he has had no problems so far. A retailer to whom I spoke sold eight of them and has had none back. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Yet post #852 suggests otherwise, so not comprehensive I think. Maybe bad and good batches out there. But then there's Heljan decision to use another manufacturer, so there must be something fundamentally deficient.

Edited by Legend

The movement of the rods and motion is one of the distinctive features of the L&B Manning Wardles. A static etch certainly would not do - particularly on a model costing nearly £200. On test, so far, mine is OK. I spoke to an exhibitor at Woody Bay who had one on his layout and he has had no problems so far. A retailer to whom I spoke sold eight of them and has had none back. (CJL)

It   is  a  strange  thing  with  these,  I  had  3  failures  2  from  1  retailer,  who  had  12  delivered  and  8 or 9 returns,  my  3rd   was  from  another  retailer,  personally I  have  had no financial loss  due  to  these  3  failures, as  I  have  posted  previously  the  failures  all occurred  at  different  lengths  of  running  times  ( Actual use on  continuous  run  layout)  the  first  occurred   at  around  5  hours  running  time,, the  second  one  at  around  20 hours running  time  and  third  just  15 minutes,  all failures occurred  when  the  locos  were  traversing  an  approx. 13.5" radius curve  , and  all on  the  left  hand  side.

A friend of  mine  had   one  which  lasted a week in  use running  every  evening  for   1 to 2  hours,  whilst  a  friend  of  his bought a MW  which  covered  6" then  the motion fell off again  both  left  side  failures  ( see earlier  posts  re  adhesive  and  lubrication  interaction)

I am  aware  that  the  retailer who sold  me  my  3rd one  also  sold  one to  another RMWeb member around  the  same  time, his  also  failed!

Re  Dibber 25's  comment  re  motion   I agree  that  the  loco  MUST have  a  reasonable representation  of  the  valve  gear  to  command  the  asking  price  which  no  doubt  will be  even  higher  than  £200  when  the  revised  production eventually  arrives which  although stated  as Q1 18, in some views  is optimistic.

Edited by Stevelewis

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We had an operating session on Tim Couling's Clyre Valley Railway yesterday so I took Yeo along for a run.

I think this confirms it'll be worth waiting for the revised models.

post-6968-0-85713300-1509036408_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-28439800-1509036422_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-48478000-1509036433_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-68034400-1509036444_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-58146800-1509036458_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-64902200-1509036471_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-93858200-1509036488_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-13284100-1509036525_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-67624900-1509036539_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-48247800-1509036551_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-01874800-1509036565_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-29026000-1509036578_thumb.jpg

post-6968-0-08949000-1509036590_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wonder why they had nothing about that in the cabinet with the locos at Warley? It's been hearsay for a while they were working on the options because of the good orders but nothing official so far direct from them ;)

I wonder why they had nothing about that in the cabinet with the locos at Warley? It's been hearsay for a while they were working on the options because of the good orders but nothing official so far direct from them ;)

Like this? In the cabinet on Sunday

post-7341-0-69612500-1511807675_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Ah now that explains it as there was Exe on her own on that shelf! The rest must have been nabbed for photography, I thought she looked a bit lonely! :)

I presume that was the 9953 release of Exe rather than a re-release of the 9951 SR green version.

I can't help but feel disappointed.  Exe in SR green was released in very limited numbers, and Taw appears to have completely dropped off the radar (Its certainly no longer on the Hattons website as far as I can see!), I feel frustrated that Heljan are concentrating on new releases of the Manning Wardle when orders on existing variants are still pending and left in limbo.

Looks like I better pre-order an SR green Yeo before that sells out, but presently there's no guarantee that even Yeo will arrive!

I  agree   Capn'A ..................... I  had  three  MWs  but  all gone  back  faulty  ages  ago  now  and   frankly  i  have  lost   the  desire  to  build  a L&B themed 009 layout  now, so  its  a  case  of   something  completly differnt (ish)

I am  not  saying  that  I wont  buy  a   new  version  Heljan L&B loco though  just  the  one  though,  may even  re-livery  it  if  and  when  they eventually arrive! :scratchhead:

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

Could somebody who has one of these still, please let me know the length of them over the couplings please?

​Thanks in advance,

Roy

105mm over couplings.

As I understand it the original three are still being made at the new factory followed by the next batch. Some never arrived at all in the first batch. My pre orders for the SR liveried pair Taw & Exe are still valid according to Hattons.