Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

I spoke to a man on the Heljan stand at Warley on Saturday. He confirmed that they have changed manufacturer, and said

that the next batch of Manning-Wardles should be released around May 2018. He also told me that they would exchange the

chassis of first batch models when the new ones are available. I hope the new batches don't de-rail as badly, and that

their valve gear doesn't jam and break!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks PaulRhB, that's what I understood.  However Hattons have removed the original SR Green Manning Wardles (Exe and Taw) from their website. They both still sit in my pre-order list giving me the slightest glimmer of hope.

Ah well, lets hope they still turn up and instead do some modelling whilst I wait...

• RMweb Gold

105mm over couplings.

As I understand it the original three are still being made at the new factory followed by the next batch. Some never arrived at all in the first batch. My pre orders for the SR liveried pair Taw & Exe are still valid according to Hattons.

fingers crossed here aswell.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks PaulRhB, that's what I understood. However Hattons have removed the original SR Green Manning Wardles (Exe and Taw) from their website. They both still sit in my pre-order list giving me the slightest glimmer of hope.

Ah well, lets hope they still turn up and instead do some modelling whilst I wait...

Well even if the second run turn up first I'm sure there would then be demand enough for the originals to complete the set ;) Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

105mm over couplings.

As I understand it the original three are still being made at the new factory followed by the next batch. Some never arrived at all in the first batch. My pre orders for the SR liveried pair Taw & Exe are still valid according to Hattons.

Many thanks. I think an order for one may be imminent...

Roy

• 1 month later...

I spoke to a man on the Heljan stand at Warley on Saturday. He confirmed that they have changed manufacturer, and said

that the next batch of Manning-Wardles should be released around May 2018. He also told me that they would exchange the

chassis of first batch models when the new ones are available. I hope the new batches don't de-rail as badly, and that

their valve gear doesn't jam and break!

For  info  as  the ex-owner  of   3  L&B Locos ( Now  long  since  returned  & refunded)  I   can  confirm  the  valve  gear did not  actually  jam  it  just  fell apart!

Derailing  was  caused  mainly  by  the  strange  arrangement  of  power collection  from  the  pony  trucks

Heljan   have  announced  LYD  in  Black  livery

Edited by Stevelewis

Hattons  have  a S/H  L&B  YEO  for  £130  listed,   described  as  a  poor  runner  as  it  has  broken  valve  gear!

The  price  they  are  asking  is  not  much  less than  I  paid  for  my  first  2!

Although  the  buyer  may possibly  be  able  to  obtain  a  replacement  chassis  from  Heljan  when  the  new  ones  are  available,  it  was stated  somewhere  that  this  is  what  they  intend  to  do,  although  they  may  require  proof  that  the    chassis to be  exchanged is from  the  original purchaser and  not pre  used.

Edited by Stevelewis

• 1 month later...

I feel like asking any questions about these locomotives is going to open a can of worms. But being disconnected from the grapevine and gossip in the UK, means I never am anywhere to see or hear anything.

I have one of the first run Taw in Southern Green on order with Hattons, which I gather never came in (or if they did they were all rejected for the valve gear issues that triggered a re-design/change of factory from Heljan).  The part number (9952) doesn't show up in searches on their site anymore as i think someone noted previously, but its still in my pre-orders page and wish list page.  I noticed today that in addition to the 2nd Run group, there is now a 3rd run of Lew and Lyd models listed, at a lower price point than the 2nd run, but not as low as the Pre Order Price showing in my account for the first.

This is mostly for me an exercise in trying to see if anyone has any idea if the first run models will appear, or a date for budgeting purposes.  As with many of us these days no doubt, I've got a lengthy list of products which we've had to pre-order, which is fine, but I try to make sure i have money in my budget for when things are going to arrive, and it's hard to budget when the answer seems to be a shrug and who knows.

Any insight from anyone who may have heard anything from Heljan or a conversation with a dealer would be appreciated.

Cheers

Stephen

• Like 1

Casting  my  mind  back  to  the  release  of  the  first  batch,  the  release  dates  were  extended  many  times,  I therefore  think  that  it  is  a  case  of  wait  and  see,  although  the  retailer  who  I buy  the  bulk  of my items  from  has  just  told  me  that  the  last  info  he  received  was  for  delivery  'AROUND'​    Late  April  into  May  (hopefully  this  year!)

We  shall wait  with  baited  breath :scratchhead: 

• 2 weeks later...

Lookit that, an email from Hattons today saying delivery now expected in May 2018.  I guess we shall see.

Fingers crossed.

Stephen

Same for me. My pre order quoted, is for 9951 Exe in Southern livery, one of the original versions that had the chassis problems. This indicates Heljan are close to getting replacement production runs produced. Maybe they were able to salvage the bodies from the rejected production, that could be used with a new modified chassis.

Lookit that, an email from Hattons today saying delivery now expected in May 2018.  I guess we shall see.

Fingers crossed.

Stephen

Same here for the Taw that I ordered many moons ago at a pre-prder price somewhat below the one Hattons give on the e-mail received today, yet they have never told me they are not going to honour that lower pre-order price!  I'll be contacting them this evening for clarification.

Edit:  have contacted Hattons - awaiting reply.

Edited by olivegreen

Same here for the Taw that I ordered many moons ago at a pre-prder price somewhat below the one Hattons give on the e-mail received today, yet they have never told me they are not going to honour that lower pre-order price!  I'll be contacting them this evening for clarification.

Edit:  have contacted Hattons - awaiting reply.

My Pre-order in my account still shows the lower original price, not that from the email today, So i assume that remains the price i will pay.

Stephen

As Stephen states above, my pre-ordered pair on the website still show the original price, contrary to the emails today so I'll be interested to hear what feedback you receive Olivegreen.

Cheers

J

My Pre-order in my account still shows the lower original price, not that from the email today, So i assume that remains the price i will pay.

Stephen

Reply received from Hattons: the lower, pre-order price as on our accounts with them (ie not the higher price in the e-mail Hattons sent yesterday) will be honoured.

Full marks to Hattons, and I thank them.

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Reply received from Hattons: the lower, pre-order price as on our accounts with them (ie not the higher price in the e-mail Hattons sent yesterday) will be honoured.

Full marks to Hattons, and I thank them.

Mike

Excellent news as I have two of the originals on order. Now to decide when to order the next batch.

Really need to sort out the shorting issue on my Backwoods Baldwin 'Lyn'.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Update

9950-9956 L&B/SR Models, Version 1

We have now finalised testing of the latest revised samples and these have been approved allowing production to proceed. Delivery is expected by the end of September. This production run is sold out at the factory, so please check your local Heljan stockist for availability. We had hoped to have this delivery much earlier but unfortunately the current labour situation in China has had a negative impact on these models.

9960-9963 Version 2, LYD/LEW

These newly announced models represent the original locomotive SOUTHERN No. E188 ‘LEW’ and the new build No. 190 ‘LYD’ in its various livery guises. Advance orders are now being accepted for these models. Please contact your Heljan stockist to pre-order yours. Current delivery estimate is Q1 2019.

From https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/posts/1869291976466993

EDIT: I see that Hattons no longer show a made up price for Lew and the Lyds, but an actual price of £168 each.

Edited by Paul.Uni