Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any stock to go with them?

These coaches, complete with their new metal wheels, have been patiently waiting for more years than I care to remember..

(And so has the connecting service.. :) )..

post-6939-0-07196000-1535900463_thumb.jpg

I need to look at those they look quite good.

They look the part at that scale. Not bad - We'll see how they perform when Exe arrives

They come with Peco's plastic wheel sets.. So these needed to be replaced - 

I used Parkside Dundas Item PN53 ... 6.2 mm Dia. Metal Wheels 

Not all wheel sets at N scale fit all manufacturers..

These wheels were specifically designed to fit Peco and Graham Farish models..

For what it’s worth, I have been adding to the heap of Peco coaches and wagaons as they appear and re-wheeling them with Bachmann N-gauge metal wheels, which seem to work all right. Pending some sort of effort to provide a layout for them, I bought a Kato N-gauge basic oval complete with controller. The appearance of the track is, of course, totally wrong but it is easy to set up and take apart and it gives me some sort of test track. The recent appearance of Bachmann 009 locomotives has, at last, given me something to haul the coaches and wagons. Again, Peggy is totally wrong for pulling L&B coaches but nevertheless the train looks beautiful and runs well on the Kato controller. Anyone who has seen it so far seems to have been smitten, from baby through children to adults.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

the train looks beautiful and runs well on the Kato controller. Anyone who has seen it so far seems to have been smitten, from baby through children to adults.

NG has a cutesy appeal to all and sundry. And so obscure are the relatively few NG lines in UK's rail history that only the cognoscenti would know the mix you are running is wrong. Keep at it.

I wish it wasn't so, but It is about time PECO got with the metal wheels program.. :)

Bought  myself a  supply  of  PN53  wheelsets  from  Dundas Models  in  Scotland,  started  the   task of  re  wheeling, my mothballed  Peco  009 stock this  evening!

May  I recommend  Dundas Models  for  their  courteous  rapid  service,  telephone order  arrived next  day,  also  had an  interesting  chat  with  the  proprietor,  it  is  actually  nice  to  be  able  to  speak to a  supplier  rather  than doing  it  online!  ( Dundas Models  01592 640896,  www.dundasmodels.co.uk)

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

I've received a reply from Heljan about dates for the MW's. They also confirmed they aren't replacing the first batch chassis and have no idea where that story came from. Time to save pennies :)

"Dear Sir

No, not for September, but they will be sent out in September (from far east) and will then arrive october/november in Denmark."

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've had an update on delivery from Hattons. They are saying that my order for 9951 Exe in Southern green is expected on or after 26th October.

Getting excited, especially as I was fireman for the shunting of Lyd with Lyn yesterday. They looked great together.

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone heard if an early pre-extended cab version is likely? Or a conversion part?

IMHO the MWs looked far prettier and better balanced aesthetically before the cab back was extended rearwards.....

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

The cab is a separate part to the rest of the body, they designed it so they could do other versions. Whether they do so will depend on how well the versions already announced sell, amongst other things. It's probably too soon to make that decision, maybe sometime next year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The cab is a separate part to the rest of the body, they designed it so they could do other versions. Whether they do so will depend on how well the versions already announced sell, amongst other things. It's probably too soon to make that decision, maybe sometime next year.

Thanks Neil,

that's good to know - even if Heljan decide against, it'll make it easier for someone to market a cab conversion.

I just need to focus on my current projects, and put the ideas for an early L&B layout to the back of my mind!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

• 5 weeks later...

Just seen the note in this month’s Railway Modeller about the New batch of Heljan MWs. They indicate modifications to the pony trucks. Will this, do you think, alleviate the continual derailing of my first batch Yeo on 12” points? (Which the Bachman Baldwin negotiates perfectly happily!)