Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

I recieved my LYD on Saturday, and finallyhad chance to test run her yesterday. I was pleased to se she sailed through my large radius Peco points without need for adjustment to the pony springs or pickups.

I have two from the second batch and have had to remove the springs and pickups from the pony trucksto make them behave, so I'm not sure exactly what alterations Heljan have made, but they do seem to be taking comments on board and acting on them which is good to see.

I could of course, have just got lucky. I do think the front and back ends are a little over engineered, and they run fun with just driving wheel pickups so may alter it in the future if prolonged use show signs of issues.

The green is maybe a touch light and yellowy when viewed next to the SR locos, but on her own, LYD looks pretty close to a scale approximation of the right colour, depending on what light the prototype and model are viewed in.

Of course, the roof profile isn't correct for LYD as running on the FfR, but I suspect that was a tooling cost too far, and is understandable.

The nameplates being in the extra details bag is a nice touch. Easy enough to fit yourself, but equally easy to replace with etched examples without ruining the finish of the model.

Mine is currently at work with a representation of the 2015 Superpower train she hauled, minus Welsh Pony's boiler and frames on the bogie wagon, and for some reason, I've forgotten the brake van too!

IMG_20190819_091655.jpg.ec013aa85c55181c9eaafff671ebfab3.jpg

IMG_20190819_091807.jpg.c448b213470655b86f77ab5553818fa5.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

I took  delivery  of  yet  another   MW  a  few  days  ago, Taw in  Southern  Livery,  although  I  have  been digital  since  1997  and  have  fitted  more  decoders in locos  than  I  care  to  remember, feeling  a  little  lazy  I ordered  it  with  a  decoder  pre fitted  by  the  retailer,  I was  a  little concerned that  all would not  be  well, but  within 24  hours  the  loco arrived,  it  runs    extremely smoothly no derailments  at  all.

I am  contemplating  a  Black liveried Next.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Does the model of Lyd come with nameplates to put onto the tanks?

Yes it does, they are in the bag with couplings and vac/steam heat pipes.

At least it saves damaging the paint work by removing factory fitted ones if you want to change them for etched ones. And also saves them from being put on askew in the factory!

Cheers

J

• Agree 1

Just a  follow  up from  my post from  the  other  day re   the MW,  The  only  out of  the box 'adjustments' I have  made  are  to ease  off the pony truck centreing springs so they  have  almost no effect on the actual centering  and remove  the  top bar from  the  'cow catchers'  centre  section only not  the  sides, to allow the couplers to move freely and  hence not inhibit free sideways  movement of the pony trucks ( as the  couplers are a direct fit onto the ponies), I have not made any adjustment  to  the pony wheel power pickups!

The loco runs  fine  on Peco 12", 18"  and 'Y' 009 points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevelewis said:

... and remove  the  top bar from  the  'cow catchers'  centre  section only not  the  sides, to allow the couplers to move freely and  hence not inhibit free sideways  movement of the pony trucks ( as the  couplers are a direct fit onto the ponies), 

Now, that is something I'll be doing! I've fitted NEM pocket Greenwich couplings to mine, with a crank bent into the shaft to clear the cowcatcher. They work, but are a bit wobbly, though I have been able to double head them on occasion!

Cheers

J

• Agree 1

Something I have  noticed  re  the Early Mark one  locos  and  current  production...…. the current  ones are  around  17% lighter than the  Mark ones.

The  Mk 1 locos  weigh  138 gram ( as confimed in Model Rails 'Britain's Model Trains' Annuals)  whilst  the latest  versions weigh around 115 -116gms.

This  does not  make  much difference to adhesion  though  as  even the  lighter ones have  adequate  pulling  power  for most requirements!

• Informative/Useful 1

In the August 20 post about Heljan LYD, mention is make of the SR green being lighter than the others.   I am told it is 'Urie green' a colour in which the prototype was delivered and repainted 'Maunsell green' later.   I hope this is correct as the LYD that hauled my train at Woody Bay matched LYN.   Will Heljan be releasing their LYD in the darker green later?

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, coline33 said:

In the August 20 post about Heljan LYD, mention is make of the SR green being lighter than the others.   I am told it is 'Urie green' a colour in which the prototype was delivered and repainted 'Maunsell green' later.   I hope this is correct as the LYD that hauled my train at Woody Bay matched LYN.   Will Heljan be releasing their LYD in the darker green later?

Possibly, but  given  that  the  market seems  heavily  stocked  with  MWs at  the  present  time, a  further  livery may be  some  time  away.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stevelewis said:

Something I have  noticed  re  the Early Mark one  locos  and  current  production...…. the current  ones are  around  17% lighter than the  Mark ones.

The  Mk 1 locos  weigh  138 gram ( as confimed in Model Rails 'Britain's Model Trains' Annuals)  whilst  the latest  versions weigh around 115 -116gms.

This  does not  make  much difference to adhesion  though  as  even the  lighter ones have  adequate  pulling  power  for most requirements!

It maybe hard to answer but do you think the reduced weight would affect performance on a gradient of approximatly 1:60? 

I have a Mark 1 model still working and that worked on a test plank set at a gradient. I was rather keen on a plain black LYD and now slighly sceptical as my new layout I'm building will have a long section of gradient. 

2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It maybe hard to answer but do you think the reduced weight would affect performance on a gradient of approximatly 1:60? 

I have a Mark 1 model still working and that worked on a test plank set at a gradient. I was rather keen on a plain black LYD and now slighly sceptical as my new layout I'm building will have a long section of gradient. 

I don't  think  it  will make  a lot  of  difference  the 116grams  is  quite  heavy  for  a  small loco, ( The  Bachmann Baldwin  weighs just  under 60 gms as a comparision), It  also depends  waht rolling  stock will be  in  use,  I certainly  find  that current  Peco Plastic  wheeled  stock  does inhibit  haulage a bit, they  are much improved  with metal wheels as  long  as   the metal wheelsets are  adjusted to run freely,

1 hour ago, Stevelewis said:

I don't  think  it  will make  a lot  of  difference  the 116grams  is  quite  heavy  for  a  small loco, ( The  Bachmann Baldwin  weighs just  under 60 gms as a comparision), It  also depends  waht rolling  stock will be  in  use,  I certainly  find  that current  Peco Plastic  wheeled  stock  does inhibit  haulage a bit, they  are much improved  with metal wheels as  long  as   the metal wheelsets are  adjusted to run freely,

Thanks for the reply Steve. Ill be using Peco coaches along with other kitbuilt coaches on this layout

Think i'll do some testing with other locos/stock to learn their limits.

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Thanks for the reply Steve. Ill be using Peco coaches along with other kitbuilt coaches on this layout

Think i'll do some testing with other locos/stock to learn their limits.

As a matter  of  interest  I recently tested a  MW on   a layout which  had a 1 in 30  (approx.) Gradient  90% of  which is  on an approx.  12" radius curve

It hauled 4 Peco  coaches  and 4 x 4 wheel wagons  without  any hesitation, so I think your planned  1 in 60 will present no problems.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

DCC Sound for L&B locos

Not my area, but the latest newsletter from EDM Models in York says that he has teamed up with Paul Chetter to produce a sound project (which at £195 presumably includes the Zimo chip) specifically for the Heljan 009 models.  Going off the email, it has been record, Paul has worked his magic, and the whole thing is ready to go, but it needs 20 orders for it to be viable.  Full details are on the EDM website - Click here - for anyone interested and orders can be placed through his website too.

There are install instructions on the website as well and it works with boththe Mk1 and Mk2 chassis, although the former requires a little more work apparently.

No connection, just thought it may be of interest to people.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The v2 ones are prone to it, the poor running is usually the pickups lifting it off, the flanges causing derailments or the valve gear catching before it destructs. Evidently batch 3 which is  Lyd, with the flat backed cab, in black or the light green are ok. 

This is the fix list

On 12/10/2019 at 06:44, PaulRhB said:

Looks like the v2 issues still exist then! Roundhouse said his Lyd didn’t need any fettling so we wondered if they’d sorted it. 

The only V3 I've seen still fell off at points (18" radius), and had such limited vertical movement of the couplings/pony-trucks it couldn't cope with a change in gradient. Oh and the motion covers still fell off. So I don't think much has changed...

On 14/10/2019 at 13:20, mjcampbell said:

The only V3 I've seen still fell off at points (18" radius), and had such limited vertical movement of the couplings/pony-trucks it couldn't cope with a change in gradient. Oh and the motion covers still fell off. So I don't think much has changed...

The motion cover came off one of the two I had returned.