Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

Looking around at other retailers this rrp price seems to be the going rate, the discounted prices being offered have disappeared. Good for the retailers if they can shift the stock at that price but unfortunately for me it's a stretch too far :-(

Oh well, lots of new other goodies coming soon that have now become a little more affordable as a result of reallocating the £145 I had earmarked for the L&B loco!

Cheers,

Keith

Derails website  still shows  £143,  but  it  is  poss  they  may  have  earmarked  all their  allocation  by  now

Looking around at other retailers this rrp price seems to be the going rate, the discounted prices being offered have disappeared. 

Being  quite  involved  my self in  the  retail  trade  I can appreciate why  Hattons have  increased  the  price  to  the  RRP,  if  there  is  demand  for  a  product  be  it  a  model  train  or  a  can  of  Beer  then  it  makes  sense  to make as  much  profit  as  possible,  being  profitable for  a  retailer is  a  hedge  against  times  when   things  may  not  be  so  good.

Given  that  one  of  the   three Manning  Wardles is  fully  subscribed  on  Hattons  site  indicates that there  is  demand for  the  models.

Given the above, which seem to be reasonable assessments of the situation, …..

Its so that Christine Hatton can buy some more designer handbags!

Isn't this a rather unnecessarily personal, even infantile  comment?  

• RMweb Gold

Isn't this a rather unnecessarily personal, even infantile  comment?  

Fair comment. Knuckles rapped. (Although I don't think Hattons will say no to my cash!)

Edited by Captainalbino

Looking around at other retailers this rrp price seems to be the going rate, the discounted prices being offered have disappeared. Good for the retailers if they can shift the stock at that price but unfortunately for me it's a stretch too far :-(

Oh well, lots of new other goodies coming soon that have now become a little more affordable as a result of reallocating the £145 I had earmarked for the L&B loco!

Cheers,

Keith

Maybe  Bachmann's Baldwin 4-6-0T   which  looks  very  attractive  and currently pre sell around £123,   ( one  version apparently  has a  working  headlight  as  well)

Minitrains  Ns2f diesel  just arriving now as well  Gaugemaster £115, possibly  less expensive  at  other  retailers  and 009 socy members  get a good  discount also!

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

Stupidly cancelled my pre order with hattons at the exact same time that they changed the price (decided I wanted Exe, not Taw).

However, Bure Valley models have all three engines available for reservation at £145, and when I called them earlier they told me that the price was guaranteed. Plus you get to support the Bure Valley Railway into the bargain and their P&P is cheaper than what I chose at Hattons (£5).

Overall I'm paying the same price, which is brilliant :)

For those interested, the phone number to reserve one is 01263 733 858

Edited by Edge

Cheers,

Keith

Is anyone surprised the price has risen, not me as it was on the cards for months. Why? Brexit, the value of the pound falling, rising production costs in China and the rise in oil prices. Added to that we also have the situation being forecast about wages not keeping up with inflation. Cardboard modeling here we come.

Some manufacturers are starting to cancel projects others are putting their prices up in line with their costs. RTR is never going to be cheap again, prices are going to continue in an upward spiral.

Oh I forgot, in 2 years time we could be paying import tariffs on Heljan products

Sorry to be the voice of doom and gloom but at least the sun has come out down here in the south.

Loconuts

This has been the discussion across many sites on the RMWeb for a couple of years

• RMweb Gold

Is anyone surprised the price has risen, not me as it was on the cards for months. Why? Brexit, the value of the pound falling, rising production costs in China and the rise in oil prices. Added to that we also have the situation being forecast about wages not keeping up with inflation. Cardboard modeling here we come.

Some manufacturers are starting to cancel projects others are putting their prices up in line with their costs. RTR is never going to be cheap again, prices are going to continue in an upward spiral.

Oh I forgot, in 2 years time we could be paying import tariffs on Heljan products

Sorry to be the voice of doom and gloom but at least the sun has come out down here in the south.

Loconuts

This has been the discussion across many sites on the RMWeb for a couple of years

The RRP has not changed for this model, what has (just) changed is the retailers decision (in most cases) to price at RRP!

all the best,

Keith

I have  to  agree  with Tractionman  the  RRP  remains  the  same  as  when  it  was  first   announced,  Hattons  have  revised  their   pre -sell price,  as  I stated  earlier  they  cant  be  blamed  for  trying  to  make  a  profit.

However  I feel  that this  increase  may  perhaps  make  buyers  look  twice  now  at  prices  being  offered  on  this   item  ( and  others)  and  check  out  other  retailers.

The  only  cloud  on  the  horizon  apart  from  delivery  is  whether  retailers  are  going  to  receive  their  full  ordered  consignement,  The  retailer  from  whom  I  have  ordered my  2-6-2s  from  has  now  presold  all his  initial  order!!

Derails  are  also  showing  sold  out  on  their  website

Parkside Dundas  were advertising  them  for  £170  in  the  00-9  socy  mag  recently

Edited by Stevelewis

Interesting  if  they   are  in  the  UK  why  would  Heljan  advise  me  that  they ( Heljan staff) are  in China and  that  the  production  'looks  very  good' ?

also  mentioned previously  that  the  retailer I usually  order  from  and  who  has  my  pre  orders,  tells  me  that  no  pre  advice  of  delivery  has  been recvd  from  Heljan yet  ( this  usually occurs  a  couple  of  weeks  before  actual  delivery)

Edited by Stevelewis

Unless someone has got it wrong at a shop but who knows until they are in stock. Pre order prices are being honoured though they say.

What  is  strange  re  the  Hattons  statement  is  that  Heljan   distribute   from Denmark  to  their  UK  customers,  so for  Hattons  to  apparently  say  they  are  in  the  UK begs  the  question  where in the  UK  are  they,  it  would  not  make  commercial  sense  to delay  actual  selling  as  these  days  the  quicker  income  cane  be  generated  the  better!

The RRP has not changed for this model, what has (just) changed is the retailers decision (in most cases) to price at RRP!

all the best,

Keith

I did not suggest that Heljan has put the price up, however it looks as though they have slashed their discounts to the retailers.

Loconuts

I did not suggest that Heljan has put the price up, however it looks as though they have slashed their discounts to the retailers.

Loconuts

Have  you  any  firm  evidence  of  reduced  discounts  to  retailers?

What  is  strange  re  the  Hattons  statement  is  that  Heljan   distribute   from Denmark  to  their  UK  customers,  so for  Hattons  to  apparently  say  they  are  in  the  UK begs  the  question  where in the  UK  are  they,  it  would  not  make  commercial  sense  to delay  actual  selling  as  these  days  the  quicker  income  cane  be  generated  the  better!

I read that there is a tie up with Peco for this model, due to their range of 009 L&B stock and that Peco will be wholesaling some of the stock, presumably to retailers who do not have Heljan trade accounts. So it could be that some of the Manning Wardles will be sent to Peco, from Heljan in Denmark, for distribution to some retailers

Edited by rembrow

The background to who will distribute, sell or retail any model item often remains cloaked as a commercial confidence, and jumping the gun on prices is a bit early. Generally UK prices on comparable products from China to the UK and China to Europe/USA show  the UK prices remain quite competitive.

Everybody complains of price increases, but there are a lot of youngsters who have never lived with 25% inflation, that the UK has had at times. 10% increases at unpredictable times never stopped people buying models, the economic conditions to stop the hobby trade would be unlikely outside war conditions.

It hurts that lots of common items are for sale cheaper in the US than the UK, but the Hobby trade is different, and prices will find their own level. Inflation is built in to modern economics, we get burst and slack periods, which added to the success of Chinese manufacture make  prices very volatile nowadays. Only the final price over the counter is the real value, and that is up to you to seek the best deal, something that is relatively new to the UK. There are no retail manufacturers prices, just suggestions, and the only price is the trade price, which can vary due to deals.

Personally I would say support your local shop, the profit is going into new stock, and service, but this is increasingly difficult as so much is only on pre-order, which many shops cannot take part in. Stock ordering is tailored to predicted demand, and has to balance the mail order per order and the shops stock, which Hornby singularly failed to do with  the recent Peckett.

Heljan have always been more careful, and 009 RTR is a risky investment, tempting them to make sure orders are short of leaving unsold stock. For what is being offered the Locos are worthwhile at whatever price they command, if this standard was being offered in Germany for this model, the price would be nearer £300 or more.

I hope Hattons are able to honour the lower price for those who pre-ordered  many months ago, but I suspect the net price will force many retailers to charge more.

This sort of instability in prices is now the norm with the glut and famine ordering that has become the way of business with the FE., and prices are likely to climb for the foreseeable future.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

Perhaps  a  little  premature  to  be  comparing  the  2-6-2T  with  German  Narrow Gauge  locos  as  only  one  running  example  has   actually  been  seen  as  yet,  however  when  I  receive  mine I will be  able  to  test  them  against my  Roco Engarths   (0-8-0+TT) and  Bemo 0-10-0  & 2-10-2  and see  how  they  shape  up!

Hopefully better out the box than my Tillig 2-10-2's ;)

we  are  drifting  off topic  a  little  But  this  seems to  be  the  thing  with  Tillig locos , you  either  get  a  good  one  or  a  bad  one!! 

• RMweb Gold

we are drifting off topic a little But this seems to be the thing with Tillig locos , you either get a good one or a bad one!!

Let's hope this also isn't the case for the Heljan 009 locos...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89864-Heljan-gwr-1366-0-6-0-pannier-tank/?p=2614860

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89864-Heljan-gwr-1366-0-6-0-pannier-tank/?p=2629080

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

As  a long  time  Heljan  buyer  of  0 & 00 gauge  DIESELs  I  must  count myself   as  a  satisfied  customer,  but  I do have  that    slight  doubt  re  the  2-6-2s following  the  recent problems  with  Heljans    UK  outline  STEAM locos.

So hopefully  we will find  out  soon  

I am  a  long term  buyer  of  Heljan  0  & 00  locos  ALL Diesels  with  which  I  have  always  been  happy,   but  I  have  that  slight  concern  with  the  009  2-6-2T that  it  will be  a  good  performer  straight  from  the  box  so to  speak and  not  have  problems like  the   recent  steam  outline 00 locos  had.

As  I  have  all 3  on  order  I  have  to  be  optimistic  I  suppose!

Have  you  any  firm  evidence  of  reduced  discounts  to  retailers?

I think the evidence is in front of your nose. Bearing in mind this is a new venture for Heljan it is obvious they would want to cover all bases over these models and the 009 market is not as big as the 00 and 0 market.

I personally believe that these locos are going to prove popular like the Hornby Pecket, even at the higher price.

No matter what caused the price change we the consumer have two choices, purchase them at the higher price or not purchase them, the choice is yours. But if I was a betting man I think the former will happen with the models selling out in days.

Loconuts