Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

• Administrators

1 - The loco will not run over Peco 009 pointwork: it derails and shorts out. I've coaxed it over some points at s snail's pace, but at

realistic speeds, it is hopeless. My Minitrains works engine (the Baldwin 2-6-2T) copes happily with my pointwork.

I've reminded myself of the rave review in the April Railway Modeller, which said that Heljan and Peco had liaised to ensure the engine

would run on Peco code 80 009 track. The reviewer also said that the couplings provided a "perfect match" to Peco rolling stock. Do these

reviewers actually take the loco out of the box and try to run it on a proper layout with a train? I'd expect a proper critical review,

not a mere advertising puff, misleading at that, for a manufacturer trying to flog an ill designed product.

As mentioned months ago, I ran the pre-production model we had at Warley around Owen's Bridge which is built with Peco 009 set track and point. It ran perfectly well, albeit with a stupid looking overhang at the front. Unless the production models have changed a lot, I'd be surprised if the performance has got worse.

• RMweb Gold

As Steve posted his issues I was able to look for them without risking my loco if it had the same fault so I'm grateful he gave detail rather than a rant ;) Mind you I've corresponded with Steve for years as we both did G scale so maybe knowing he's a positive person I don't look for an issue, as you'll note we might appear to be at opposite viewpoints but aren't arguing ;)

I was talking to a friend today who used to work for one of the manufacturers who's been watching this thread and quite used to the vitriol and said at least with magazines people generally had time to reflect on a comment rather than it going public instantly ;)

I don't think we need to look for trouble between us, Blair and I have agreed to disagree on my support for Heljan and I've posted my reasons for it which some agree with and others don't. It shouldn't get any more heated than down the pub ;)

• Like 4

Blair, no I'm only going on the reports on the forums and there have been those that run well, only three so far have listed failures that I've seen  ;)

I said I wouldn't discuss but you seem to have ignored my point which is that we don't know how many are affected so you can't say that it is only affecting a few. You don't know that, neither do I. The number we see reported is a very small percentage of the number out there, so it could be true or it could be the other way... All I said is that you shouldn't make assumptions and it isn't a "balanced" view until you have the stats to prove it, which none of us have at the moment! Let's wait and see (and hope!)...

Please, I am not knocking Heljan except to say that on a loco costing what it does I'd expect it to work correctly out of the box, hopefully the people concerned have just got the odd rogue model...

What worries me is that we get these new locos, Manufactures don't do their preparation properly, and end up with a poor loco which then gets a bad reputation and doesn't sell and they give up on NG. So far they haven't produced what I'd like (except the Bemo L45H!) but I'd hate it if they stopped because they couldn't get it right and had poor sales... . Heljan were very brave with their choice of loco, I hope it succeeds... A 2-6-2T Hunslet next, Heljan, Russull or SLR85 will do, and even in 009 I'd buy it!!

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Gold

There aren't stats either way, I didn't ignore the point I just pointed out I'm basing it on the evidence only on the forums ;)

Mine was ok apart from the coupling which was easily fixed.

I'm happy, I've provided a solution for the simple faults and balance can be an opinion, it's toy trains not science ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Taking your Bemo example reminded me my Allegra had one coach missing the dark red band and a broken inter unit coupling, they supplied a spare body shell as I was prepared to fit it ;)

• Like 1

I wonder, has anyone successfully run the Heljan 2-6-2T over Peco 12" 009 points without derailing? I'm coming to the depressing conclusion

that I might need to replace all my points with the 18" radius ones - effectively consigning my layout to the bin and starting again!

This  afternoon  I disabled  the  pickups  of  the REAR  pony  truck  on Yeo,  and  the  loco  performed  faultlessly  for  around  30 mins or  so  hauling 3 Roco +1 Minitrains bogie  vehicles , I have not completed  a  continuous circuit  yet  it  is  about 75%  complete    so running on  what  is  available  gives  me  around 1,3/4 minutes running  time and  involves  traversing  5  Peco 18" points..

Disabling  the  pickups  did not  involve  removing  them  or  taping  them  down.

Out of interest what did you do Steve?

Just  folded  them over  so  they do not  contact  the  wheels  at  all.

I will try  to  have  a  run later  this  evening  running  bunker  first!!

• RMweb Gold

An update on the derailment issues I reported.

The pickups aren't the cause of the problem as with them temporarily taped up out of the way there is no side-to-side resistance so Steve's fix would be unlikely to resolve the derailments.

However the points where I'm seeing the issue are all pre-2010 Peco 009 versions which are known to have a some issues, although these are mostly around the V crossing rather than the toe end of the blades where they regularly seem to ride up over the thin end of the blade.  

The locos were never intended to run on this small layout so I'm not that worried if others are getting good running on decent pointwork.  I'll be hand building the pointwork for my L&B layout so if it doesn't run it will be my fault!

Martin

I have  to disagree  slightly  prior observations at  eye level of  both  my locos  showed me  that the problem occurred prior to  reaching  the points,  the pony truck (mostly  the  rear one)  would  derail when it  transitioned  from  straight  to curved track  or  vice  versa  but  the  loco would continue to run , when a  point  was  reached the  derailment would occur.

I tried  taping up the  pickups with  very thin white  tape but  the  problem still occurred and  when  the  tape  was  examined wheel rim marks  were apparent indicating  that there  was  insufficient clearance to leave  an adequate gap.

Also when  I removed  the pony trucks  completely and  ran the locos  as 0-6-0s  there  were no problems at  all.

I have again tested the loco   on which  I folded up the  rear pony pickups back on themselves so that  they  are completely clear  of  the  wheel set and  a  got  perfect  derailment free running.

I also  laid  a 12" radius point and  found  the loco  would run over it  without problem

I hope to complete  a continuous run on the layout soon  so that  I can run the loco for an extended period. to see how  things  go.

• RMweb Gold

My loco running on the 12 inch Peco 'crazy track' points.

Apart from tweaking the pony truck contacts to stop the flanges catching the sides of the wiper it's out of the box.

• Like 14

My loco running on the 12 inch Peco 'crazy track' points.

Apart from tweaking the pony truck contacts to stop the flanges catching the sides of the wiper it's out of the box.

This looks superb, Paul!

Very much looking forward to an email from Hattons...

Edited by kiltedsignaller

Well to buck the trend, my Exe arrived today from the Bure Valley and has been running faultlessly through Kato Unitrack (got no layout at the moment) including points for several hours. Couldnt be happier with it

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

Well to buck the trend, my Exe arrived today from the Bure Valley and has been running faultlessly through Kato Unitrack (got no layout at the moment) including points for several hours. Couldnt be happier with it

Interesting  I  ran  my  2 initially on an N  Gauge  Unitrack  layout  with  scissors  no6  &  No 4  points  &  a  diamond xing  without   problems,  they started  when  I used  my  own 009 layout  !

• RMweb Gold

Well that's your loss as only three so far reported have had serious issues, the rest are easily fixed as my posts.

Steve's had the worst luck and he's more positive ;)

Still on the bright side someone else will get them at the lower price :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

I read that Heljan are increasing the price to £209 per loco. That's a lot of money for a model with 'issues'. Have cancelled my three pre-orders, and must learn to live without them.

The  RRP  was  increase  many  weeks   if  not  months  ago  when  the  additional  variant  were  announced,  consider  that   4.5 years   has  elapsed  since the initial   announcement  and  what  has  occurred  in  the financial world  since  then,

Although  I  have  had  problems  I have  not  given  up  on  the   2-6-2T,  by returning  them  the   manfr. will be  able to see the  actual  probs  with  the  valve  gear  I experienced.

I have purchased  many Heljan  products   in 00 & 0 gauges  over  many  years  and  experienced   very  few  problems.

• RMweb Gold

How?

Unless you meant you'd ordered from the second raft, but they were already advertised at the higher price so I assumed you meant you'd cancelled a pre order for batch 1 where the price hasn't been hiked, so because they were sold out at some places so someone will get your cancelled ones at the first batch price not the higher rate for the next versions.

If the shop you pre ordered from raised the price on the first batch then they are having you on as I've been assured that Hattons aren't and my local shop has said the first batch prices were honoured only the next liveries are more.

Edited by PaulRhB