Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

You don’t always get what you pay for. Bachmann 009 locos run like a dream on tighter radius curves than the Heljan ones. They are also cheaper. Not much good, of course, if you want to model L&B.

It must be remembered that the L&B had a very generous minimum radius compared with many other narrow gauge lines. The minimum was specified as 5 chains. For comparison the Ffestiniog did have curves at less than 2 chains.

A 12inch 009 point is 76 feet is just over 1.1 chains.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

I finally got one these locos yesterday. I've had thoughts of doing a coffee table 00-9 layout which could come out as a Christmas decoration or be taken to exhibitions. It's a nice loco but the 1ft minimum radias has thrown up a lot of constraints for a layout. Granted I am on the bigger end of these locos.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2020 at 12:14, Roy Langridge said:

It must be remembered that the L&B had a very generous minimum radius compared with many other narrow gauge lines. The minimum was specified as 5 chains. For comparison the Ffestiniog did have curves at less than 2 chains.

Roy

That's interesting Roy,

So extrapolating the 12 inch radius, for 5 chains we'd need a radius of 54"?  Is my maths correct?

Extra points for showing working:

12/1.1 = 10.91"

10.91x5 = 54.55"

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Premium

The advantage of working to 8mm gauge is that there is more room for the swing of the pony truck wheels. The pivots are in quite the wrong place on the Heljan model, which can then cause tracking problems. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

A short running session featuring the Heljan 009 Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Manning Wardle 2-6-2T, No. 190 "Lyd" edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by the real locomotive in action on the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway, recorded during a Gala visit a few year back. 
Here we see No. 190 in eye-catching Southern green livery, hauling a short rake of Peco L&B coaches, recreating a scene which can be seen during her visits to the railway.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 7

• 6 months later...

Need help please, thinking of purchasing a L&B tank but after reading this thread I’m confused. Could someone give a list of model numbers showing the difference between first and second issues please. I’ve seen the livery I would like, pre SR dark green ‘EXE’ Heljan no.9955 at a really good price. Is this a first issue? Many thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi folks,

Just bought this loco before I read this forum (d'oh). Unfortunately I have Peco curves that are 288, below the 305 minimum. Has anyone found a way to alter the loco to get around this?

For example, does anyone sell a replacement middle wheel without a wheel flange? 

I can't alter the track sadly for space reasons. 

If not might just have to run it up to the halt and back, like an old school heritage railway (e.g. Chinnor near me, before the extension to Princes Risborough) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The driving wheels aren't the problem, it's the pony trucks that limit it round curves. You could try running it without the pony wheels, I think PaulRhB has done so, they're mostly hidden anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nile said:

The driving wheels aren't the problem, it's the pony trucks that limit it round curves. You could try running it without the pony wheels, I think PaulRhB has done so, they're mostly hidden anyway.

Yes you can run it ok if you take the wheels out of the pony trucks and let the truck and coupler rest on the cowcatcher. 

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes you can run it ok if you take the wheels out of the pony trucks and let the truck and coupler rest on the cowcatcher. 

Thanks very much @PaulRhB @Nile for the tip. I tried this, them tried putting in the front wheels only, and it goes around OK! 

Might see if I can use my neighbours lathe to smooth off the flange off the back wheels so it just glides freely...hmm.

Update - used my neighbours tool to take off the metal.

Sadly, I did a perfect job of removing just the flange but it was then derailing on the points as it dropped in between the track.

So resorted taking more and more off of the metal rim and plastic until it was sitting just above the rails.

Better than no wheel at all I think?

IMG20220206150511.jpg

IMG20220206150454.jpg

At a more normal eye line:

IMG20220206150915.jpg

Edited by drt7uk
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I just rounded off the flanges with a file but your solution probably works better on the tighter radii and as long as you’re happy, that’s all that really matters :) 

I changed the points on my main station to the larger 18” ones because they run better but I did it as part of bigger alterations so I had more space to play with. 

• Like 1

This discussion parallels another in talking about the desirability of having flangeless wheels to negotiate tight radii.  My personal view is that I'd rather design the track to take the loco than mess with the loco....but of course if the track is already down it's more difficult!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I just rounded off the flanges with a file but your solution probably works better on the tighter radii and as long as you’re happy, that’s all that really matters :) 

I changed the points on my main station to the larger 18” ones because they run better but I did it as part of bigger alterations so I had more space to play with. 

It was actually working fine on the tight curves themselves but I could see it was dropping down onto the track bed when reversing over my points, jamming up and causing it to derail. Ended up taking a tiny bit off the wheel rim at a time until it worked. Shame because the wheel with only the flange removed definitely looked better, but it's not that noticeable.

@Jeff Smith yes definitely agree in general but unfortunately I have no room to play with at all so both wider curves or bigger points weren't an option in this case, ho hum! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 21/10/2020 at 12:14, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

General, not minimum. The curve on North Walk between Town Station and Yeo wharf was 3 chains.

• Informative/Useful 1