Isle Ornsay - Hebridean Light Railway

invercloy

Just stumbled across this thread and very impressed. The colours and detailing on the rock formation is stunning, some of the best I have seen in my humble opinion.  The rest of the survey information and layout look fascinating as well. I shall be watching this thread with admiration.

Just found this thread and I'm very impressed.

The scenic modelling is excellent. The row of buildings along the harbour front could only be the West Highlands. You've captured the look and feel of the area to perfection.

Alan. 

Tom,

I'm planning a layout also set in (roughly) the same part of the world as yours, a fictional station on the Kyle of Lochalsh line.  Your rocks and water really are an inspiration and I will be trying create similar scenery where the line runs close to the loch on my layout.  Could you tell me which molds you used for the rocks?

Cheers,

Rick

• 3 months later...

Time to revive this thread! Things have moved on recently, I've now added some colour to the rocks and stone wall of the pier using a mix of acrylic paints and Derwent pastel pencils.

8625778242_102f31814c_c.jpg

Bye bye white rocks...

8624661169_0f582d82eb_c.jpg

As you can see in the first photo, I've been using Geograph to research photos of the rocks in the exact area I'm modelling. This is a really useful website for finding photos of a specific area for reference.

Here's a photo of the first stage...

8626051036_2124bdb08e_c.jpg

Stage 2 was to add the dark brown and yellow banding for the tidal zone.

8626961133_a59d28aa5c_c.jpg

This was applied neat, not as a wash, and was applied sparingly until the required coverage was achieved, almost dry brushing, but not quite. As before, paint very wet, so it will dull down when dried.

Once completely dry I realised that I wasn't 100% happy with the results of the rock painting, so I dusted off my Derwent pastel pencils and set to on the rocks to try and correct matters, they now have much less of a blue tinge. These pencils are great as they can be used very accurately, or smudged on the surface of the rocks, a bit like a weathering powder. After this I decided to add some static grass to the headland using my Flockit! applicator. 

8915911914_cab43d430b_c.jpg

Yes, the grass is a bit uniform at the moment, but I've got plenty of different types to use as subsequent layers to introduce some variety, so this is only a base layer. I'm quite impressed with the Polak grass thus far.

One day last week I got home from work and the sun was shining (!), so I took the station baseboard out into the garden to look at it in natural light, and to apply the base coats of colour to the stonework on the quay.

First I applied a wash of approximately ¾ ram umber and ¼ payne's grey. This was used to fill in all the recessed cracks and emphasise the gaps between the stones.
Secondly a light drybrushed coat of pale umber was added to give more of a grey tint to the surface of the stones.
Then I randomly dry brushed raw umber to give a bit of variety to the colouring.
At this stage I still need to add more colour changes to individual stones using some more Derwent pastel pencils that I ordered.

8938493919_21ac82ba04_c.jpg

I think it's a pretty good colour and tone match for the rocks, and it will improve once the pastel pencils are here.
The unsightly gap in a couple of places along  the bottom of the wall will be hidden by strategically placed seaweed (still to experiment with the feathers properly).

8939115758_78d8a96f7b_c.jpg

Here are a few shots of the rocks in natural light, I'm rather pleased with the effect now that i've used the Derwent pastels on them. I'll definitely be using them a lot on the rest of the layout! Excuse the neighbours rather unprototypical and out of scale extension in the second photo...

8938492697_784944047d_c.jpg

Another day of sunshine (!!), and the delivery of the latest order of Derwent pastel pencils meant more time in the garden.
Here are all the colours I'm using:

8950438755_67dffeb37e_c.jpg

Which give this result:

8951621340_f91814b227_c.jpg

I've applied a 'topcoat' over the acrylic paints using the pencils. I've tried not to make any repeating patterns by accident, and I think I've succeeded. I didn't use the two yellowy colours in the tinting of the stones, but as you'll see I used them to represent the tide line. Below the tide, the dark area has been done by another coat of neat acrylic paint (to help get the shiny surface) from a mix of about 60% payne's grey and 30% raw umber.

Now some cruel closeups, it looks better at normal viewing distance, honest!

8951621830_cc3d6a8559_c.jpg

8950430051_ef3b46431a_c.jpg

8951622912_f1377fd742_c.jpg

8938492341_977976223d_c.jpg

And a bit more variation applied to the static grass, nearly there...

9008639228_8f5b2df7d6_c.jpg

9008639204_8a87270f22_c.jpg

More bumpf on the blog: http://hlrco.wordpress.com/blog/

Gorgeous

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived