Totnes Trains Website

BR(S)

Bernard Mills (an associate of mine from many years ago) has his own web site and I know he has been putting much of his work on there, may be worth a Google search.

Also I was talking to Steve who runs "Classic Traction" D V D's at the last Plymouth show and he is working with Bernie to make a lot of the older stuff avaiable for purchase on his own site.

Happy hunting.

Wally

• 4 weeks later...

A great site that, many thanks for sharing ;)

I can just make out your's truly in one of the shots of D1015 passing through on 5th April 2008, standing up in the centre of the cab... a nice reminder of an unforgettable day!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I found a couple of Totnes snaps taken sometime in the 80s

HST running into the down platform in pre- MAS days. Note the siding still in situ. (Approximately on the old Quay Line alignment.)

post-6728-0-65944900-1368895144_thumb.jpg

A 33 (?) on the down through with what looks like a parcels or perishables. Note the original old footbridge which was dislodged by a rail mounted crane and replaced.

post-6728-0-03486000-1368895181_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another Totnes snap has come to light from the 70s.

post-6728-0-12979300-1370689995_thumb.jpg

Note that being in pre- MAS days the trailing crossover on the fast up and down was still in situ. During those days some interesting movements were made through it.

Apart from the usual engineers workings it was regularly used by Laira for crossing over serviced HSTs on test runs. This was shortly after the introduction of '125s' on the route replacing the 50s and coaching stock on the Londons that paired 43s, back to back or with sometimes one coach in between used it regularly. Indeed, one of the oddest seen  just the once only was a sole 43 power car that run up on test from Laira and returned blunt end first. Quite how this was driven like that, I never did find out. Needless to say it never happened again. Whether it was due to a *******ing from management the fitters wouldn't say!

After the MAS re-modelling it was moved back over the Dart Bridge. Can't remember if it is now facing or trailing. Also the re-signalling troughing was being installed.

Also note the old small signal box at the side of the old bay which was used by the Totnes based S & T gang as their mess room and small stores. It would be nice to know where it originally came from. Behind that were two sheds occupied by (IIRC) a car repair shop. All was swept away after the new buildings were in place. Now the down bay is filled in and there are railings immediately behind the lamp standard and car parking spaces behind them. The green portacabin was installed for the use by the Plymouth railway masons whilst the new downside station buildings were built by them. Anyone remember when such work was done 'in house' on BR.!

A rather ordinary snap shot really but it tells a story back then. Judging by the shadows and the trees the train is probably the up 'Limited' in summer as there was always a gap between the 1006 hrs and the 1306 hrs on the up Londons. A subject of much 'moaning' by the local civic community, which was ultimately conceded to. It was at that time that the planners wanted to reduce the service stopping there even further. Now look at the traffic!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

After the MAS re-modelling it was moved back over the Dart Bridge. Can't remember if it is now facing or trailing. Also the re-signalling troughing was being installed.

Another great photo!

There are in fact both trailing and facing crossovers at Totnes East now, installed when the MAS was done in 1987...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Does anybody know what the new web address is for this site?

I was using it during December, but since the start of January, the web address no longer exists :scratchhead:

I recall seeing a message on there saying it was moving to a different site................but I didn't write it down! :umbrage::laugh:

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/01/2021 at 23:59, Mattmeister said:

I was using it during December, but since the start of January, the web address no longer exists :scratchhead:

I recall seeing a message on there saying it was moving to a different site................but I didn't write it down! :umbrage::laugh:

Snap! I kept thinking to myself I’ll make a note of that and before you know it, we’re in January (nearly end of now) and didn’t make a note of it either :rolleyes:

I can vaguely remember it being something along the lines of Totnestrainsweebly or similar but google searches don’t seem to bring the site up at all...

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/01/2021 at 23:59, Mattmeister said:

Finally found it!! :yahoo:

http://totnestrains.weebly.com/

• Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...