The ongoing birthing pains of a 7mm modeller

TheGhostofNigelGresley

'it's tasty, tasty, very very tasty!'. 

I know it's hot, but there's no excuse for drinking at this time of day ?

Crompton - don't encourage him, you know what they're like west of the border - he might invade.....

I see, like your countryman Mr. Broad, you didn't see fit to walk away from this kit... well done!

(any excuse for a dig... crushing business from my side of the pond...)

Do I infer from your post that you are an Australian in the USA, Sir ?

If so, it must be a lonely business - no-one to understand your pain.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, 34 degree heat and 90% humidity slowed things down for a while here, the shed was unbearable - felt like Alec Guinness in Bridge over the River Kwai. Have now managed to knock together some boards for the proposed 'photo plank' 

post-13667-0-94999500-1374837236_thumb.jpg

Had a first go at some cobblestones using DAS clay

post-13667-0-06773400-1374837283_thumb.jpg

Some Ballast and coal/coke for my hopper arrived

post-13667-0-79558500-1374837329_thumb.jpg

And so did a package from S&D models, containing a coal merchants trolley, a horse and a couple of figures

post-13667-0-41110300-1374837401_thumb.jpg

Plenty for me to be getting on with over the next few days.. :read:

Thank you.

Actually, I can feel my Mojo fading........

No, no, no .......

Chris, that is a cracking wagon you've built there, really looks the part and very nicely weathered.

I'm also glad you've reduced the size of the 'large diorama' to something a bit more manageable and, dare I say, 'complete-able'. Are you intending to put a retaining wall or other scenery on that back board?

Looking good.

Stephen

Thanks Steve.

Ah yes, the back board - I, Err, burnt it last night along with the front half of the 'diorama' - the bit containing the DAS 'cobblestones'. 

I now have a 4ft by 8in layout.

It's funny, but the same thing happened as when I first set up the bigger version, I suddenly lost interest in it when I could see what is actually involved in filling all that space realistically - a pretty huge undertaking which I am just not up for (and don't have room for) at this moment in time.

I couldn't live with it - in truth, I never liked it, I just repeated my original mistake of trying to cram as much into the chosen space as possible.

I like the simplicity of the 'plank' though, it's quite elegant and I have everything I need to finish it, so maybe it will be 3rd time lucky ?

Stay tuned for more mercurial histrionics..... 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am now the owner of a (very) small 7mm layout that measures 48 inches by 7.5 and I have a stock of 6 wagons. I enjoyed ballasting very much - I have frequently read that people find it a pain, but for me it really made everything come to life.

I've tried to photograph it for posterity, but I'm really not being very successful - here's the best of a terrible bunch : 

post-13667-0-26675400-1376411058_thumb.jpg

post-13667-0-62394300-1376411079_thumb.jpg

It looks better than that - honest....

I'm not sure where I go from here - the obvious thing is to build a loco, but I think there might be a hiatus first.

I have learned a huge amount over the past year and enjoyed it most of the time too, but what freaks me out a bit is the sheer size of the bloody things, especially the space required. Currently, I think to do 7mm justice, one really needs a dedicated room/loft/shed and whilst this was always meant to be a learning and accumulation exercise, I need to think on that for a while going forward.

So...1 year on from my first brass kit hitting the doormat, for anyone considering taking the plunge, what did I learn along the way ?

- Soldering is not difficult, in fact it truly is easier than gluing something together - just do it.

- Everyone underestimates just how big 7mm track is, especially PECO points.

- Also easy to underestimate is just how much detail you expect to see at this scale. That means you have to put a lot into a small space and big baseboards are a serious undertaking.

- Slater's wheels rust extremely quickly

- Spend the money at the outset on the proper tools, they will make life much easier, more enjoyable and you will achieve more encouraging results.

- Don't buy cheap airbrushes

- Never be afraid to ask stupid questions on RM Web

- If you can't shut the door on your modelling, make space so that you can put it away. If you look at it too often you will suffer burn out.

- Don't ever use a slitting disc without eye protection, the discs break easily, especially the cheap ones.

- Watch out for cheap soldering iron bits - they last 5 minutes - it's not you, it's them.

- Be very selective about the weather when you are spraying varnish - choose a dry warm day.

- Ensure you work in adequate lighting - it probably would have happened anyway, but I now wear glasses for reading and close up work. I think lighting was a factor in this and I now have triple T5 lighting over my workspace.

- It's very hard to photograph.

- Radio control is a very real alternative to traditional track pickups.

- Starting your own thread on here helps keep focus.

The biggest single thing that I had to come to terms with though, is that 7mm is not a bigger OO or N, it requires a different attitude - especially when it comes to layout design. I have seen many people on here struggle to come to terms with the reduced running potential and I have done it myself. You also have to make most things yourself from kits which takes time - you won't be setting up over a weekend.

Just my thoughts and feelings.

Ultimate test, am I glad I did it ? Yes.

Will I push on to year two ?

Stay tuned.......

Buy yourself a xmas present; Ixion are to release a lovely little Fowler Diesel Shunter soon, & take a look at 'Reely Grate'.

Everyone's different Mac - for me it's going to be large engines and remote control operation. The layout is something I can't get my head round at the moment - I tend to view them as a bit of a necessary nuisance.....

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Where does the time go ?

Bit of an update:

I built 6 etched brass wagons in about 6 months and found myself with a train that was about a metre long which freaked me out a bit. I only have a 7 foot by 2 foot space in which to model and the prospect of pushing wagons around in that relatively tiny space all seemed a bit pointless - so, there was a blowout.

I still kept an eye on you guys though, modelling vicariously. Then, I spent a while thinking N could be the solution and picked up a few pieces, but no, it's too small and I don't want to model all that landscape.

What I really want to do is build and paint wagons - 7mm wagons are great but brass ones cost about £75 and then what do you do with them?

So, I sat down and had an evaluation - what did I want?

- to build and paint wagons, but not too difficult kits.

- For there to be a point to the wagon building other than passing time.

- I wanted the possibility of a little bit of operation, not much, but some when I wanted

- For the whole thing to be enjoyable and not feel like a chore.

So, I've decided I'm going to build some 4mm wagons and put down some track, maybe a small marshalling yard or a goods depot. Then, I'm going to never finish it and not care but just enjoy tinkering.

Guess at the end of the day 4mm is the most popular for a reason?

It's a compromise, but then isn't everything ?

I can understand your predicament, you could always consider

what I (and others) do,

Build your stock and enjoy that process at home, then find yourself

a local club with a decent sized 0 gauge layout and then you can

give them a decent run, even if it's only monthly.

Being in London, (albeit SE) you've got the MRC up in Kings Cross,

and that is open most of the time (I believe).

Archived