Guess the cab

Back to the cab mockup - the window looks too narrow for two people to sit side by side. I remember hearing that at one point the HST was designed to only have one seat in the cab until someone asked how the instructors were going to teach them to drive it.... Whilst it deosn't look like a prototype HST cab, I wonder if it's something from around that sort of era?

Very well spotted Mike. Condor Ferries were holding an "Open Ship" event today at Poole Quay and there was an opportunity to look around Condor Vitesse; even down in the engine room. The ship is powered by x4 Ruston engines from the same RK series (albeit considerably more powerful) that are in the Cl.56, so there is a rather tenuous link.

post-6880-0-96975200-1365090763.jpg

Pretty close, correct railway, and maybe the stock in the background gave that away, or perhaps the round-topped Driver's Door immediately to the side of the driving position.  I took the picture somewhere around 1985, while working on other stock in the same yard. 

But - not Sarah Siddons.  Take a look at the Master Controller - a GEC product. 

This vehicle wasn't in passenger service by this time the picture was taken, and it was coming to the end of its years on Underground tracks.  It still exists, on a preserved line, with a few modifications.

Having posted, I checked for photos of the cab of Sarah Sidons and realised that it didn't match.

So my conclusion is former Metropolitan T stock, converted as a sleet locomotive and now preserved at the spa Valley Railway.

Apologies for delay, was preparing a reply only to be disconnected every time.  Had hoped to add more pictures and will do so when the internet is more receptive.

Pleased you've got there, well done.  Yes, remnants of the LT-designated T Stock family.  The Metropolitan designations were a little more individual, according to type and technical detail and LT made some changes to the fleet after taking over.  I own up to taking a lot of interest in all aspects of the Metropolitan Railway.

In their last days the remaining two Motor Coaches [which had only one traction equipment fitted where there used to be four] were formed with a modified flat wagon for clearing leaf residue, and were photographed at Neasden awaiting disposal. 

post-1311-0-85238400-1365348186_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-12717700-1365348090_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-95614900-1365348050_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-72720500-1365348140_thumb.jpg

A footnote for modellers:

The colors in the sunlit pictures are pretty representative, at least on my computer.  After many years outdoors and not looked-after, LT Maroon turns greyish purple.  You'll notice odd panels that have been touched up, and the inner end of the distant Motor Coach in the last picture was also rather more protected until the flat was inserted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The wooden thing - is it like the boards carried on District line trains, supposedly for removing persons from live rail or so I'm told?

Though personally I think its a paddle in case they overshoot at Portsmouth.....

And knowing the Southern (and its decendants) it is a hand me down from a 4 COR or 2 BIL via a 4VEP. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

The left hand of the two items is indeed a shoe paddle (other uses are available!) the object to the paddle's immediate right is the short circuiting bar for sorting out the third rail in an emergency but also very useful for hammering ice off of Electrostar doorsteps at six in the morning when you can't get the doors shut in a blizzard at Amberley....

Archived