Hornby Class 56 Sandbox

Hello Craig,

It might be worth writing a polite email to Hornby's Customer Care department,these sandboxes aren't available as spares,but someone there may be able to rob one off a 'returns' loco that they use as a source of spares in the repairs department and send it to you..

I trIed but they said Unfortunately we do not supply spare parts direct to the public and put try from Peters Spares but no luck there

Yes,that's the stock email reply,I suspect that whoever replied to you wasn't really au fait with which parts are or aren't available,-was Peter's spares the only spares dealer they mentioned? That email used to name 2 or 3 suppliers [East Kent Models and M&B included]

As I mentioned,-it is not an official spare part-the only way you'll get one will be from a scrap loco,for a while Hornby stopped selling scrap,but looking at the stuff turning up on Ebay lately it looks as though they've started selling it again..you could ask them who they're selling it to and go from there..

They certainly used to send out small bits like this,unfortunately you need to contact someone there who has the time and inclination to do it, and with the knowledge of  which part is which... [believe me,- it is a bit of 'faff',- and the staff there usually have much more 'on their plate' to do]

I can't say whether you'll get a positive result or not,but did you point out to them that you know that it is a part that cannot be purchased as a spare..?

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sandboxes from under the buffer beam seem to be not uncommon to go missing, and replacements are virtually unobtainable (I could do with a few myself).

Its a shame Hornby didn't have these as a spare on the service sheet, along with cab interiors, which they have made available as a spare for most of the other super detailed locos, except the 50 and 56.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived