DesignCAD 3000

Before relating the problem I have come up against, I just want to impress on anyone that responds to my query, that I have never had any formal computer training so please bare this in mind If you have any ideas on how to resolve my problem. I am an ex-draughtsman, but from the days when draughting involved the use of pencil, paper, rulers, compasses, etc. some years ago, probably about 8, I was bought a 2D/3D design package rejoicing in the name of DesignCAD 3000.

For my sins I'm a Hull & Barnsley Railway fan and am in the process of building a Scale7 layout of a fictitious Hull & Barnsley location which I am calling Staircliffe Exchange Sidings. Unfortunately at the present, no one markets any 7mm etch brass kits for H & BR locomotives. Faced with this hurdle it means that I have to scratch build my own, or at least that was my original intention. However a club member at my local model railway club, who procudes etched kits for wagons and locomotives, has suggested that if I produce a set of component drawings for a locomotive he will turn it into an etch kit. Having gained access to a locomotive G.A. for a H & BR 'C' Class 0-6-0 goods locomotive I have spent months procuding drawing of the locomotive main frames and associated components.

The software I have allows me to export drawings in a number of formats, my fellow members preference being in a DXF format. He uses a version of Turbocad, but unfortunately on receiving the exported file he was unable to open it on importing it into Turbocad.

Is there anyone out there who has used DesignCAD 3000 who has experienced a similar problem and if so did they find a solution to the problem and if so would they care to share the benefit of their experience with me, baring in mind what I have said in the opening paragraph.

Many thanks in anticipation of anyone who responds to my request for help.

Dave

Dave

I haven't used either of the software packages involved.  

However, you could try getting someone to import your DXF files into another CAD package to see if the files are in fact readable.

Also, you could try exporting your drawings in a different format, e.g. DWG, which might also be compatible with TurboCAD.  By perusing the specifications for both packages, you should be able to determine what other format(s) should be mutually compatible, while preserving the accuracy of your drawings..

Hi Dave,

Just a thought, when you save your drawing does your software allow you to choose different types of .DXF. When I save a DXF in AutoCAD 2011 I can choose to save it in a couple of different types

post-3114-0-33782200-1360918759.jpg

Could it be that the software you are using is saving the DXF to a newer version which TurboCAD doesn't recognise?

Jonathan

I am useing Turbo cad 19 and find that it tends to differ from some other systems. The native setting is T C W, can you save to that format and then transfer the file to your friends system?

Its worth noting that P P D do not accept TCW files for etching masters but if you save to either DWG or DXF there is no problem purely because of incompatibility between the differing program's.

Wally

DXF is a nightmare not a file format 8)

It's unfortunately not that uncommon that your drawings go to pot, don't load, randomly silently lose bits or change size with DXF between systems. It's also unfortnately usually the case that the vendors then blame each other 8)

If you have the option export it for the oldest/simplest DXF variant it will let you and try that. You may also find you can go between the two by loading and re-saving it with a third package.

DXF is a nightmare not a file format 8)...

It certainly is, and has been ever since they decided to introduce a second version. Jonathan's menu image gives some idea of the problem. So many packages claim to read and write dxf but almost everyone's idea of dxf format is different and many only understand a small subset. As suggested above, earlier versions may be better for transfer between packages but you are more likely to be successful with dwg format.

Nick

I think the accepted 'best' version of DXF for good transfers between programs is R12,  which is now quite old but doesn't suffer from the overload of additional features which Autodesk has put in newer versions.    I use AutoCAD LT2008 and it's interesting to note that it provides export of all versions of DXF back to R12. :)

You might also want to look at another CAD program if DesignCAD doesn't give you any joy.  Draftsight is a free to download and use program which looks very like AutoCAD LT and does give good DXF exports.

Jim.

Another thought:  You could install a free demo of a different CAD package (numerous ones to choose from but TurboCad would be good if available) just to see if it can read the DXF from DesignCad.  This would allow you to test the integrity of the DXF conversion "in house" before sending it off.

You wouldn't have to learn how to use the other package, just enough to import the DXF.

Archived