Blender problem

David,

This looks nothing like the modern versions of Blender I'm using (it looks like a much older version). Did you download it from blender.org? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "got the screen arranged OK"?

Assuming that you want to upload a background image to "trace over" then you can do this from the menu to the right of the main viewport (on recent versions). You will only see the background image in the perspective (not orthogonal) view mode when you look at the front, back, top, bottom and side views of the scene. Try pressing keys on your keyboard's number pad to get these views. Key 5 switches between orthogonal and perspective view.

Guy

The widget for adding background images is shown here:

post-7525-0-74878800-1360970284.png

You need to click "Add Image" to get the box to appear. You then click "Open" to select an image file and then select the axis on which you'd like the image to appear (e.g. "Front"). That's it. Add one image per axis if you have enough! Usually I prefer to work from front, side and top views.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think you've downloaded a really old version of Blender.

Guy

My thanks to Dave and Guy for their advice and my apologies for not responding sooner, but I've been stewarding at the Watford Show all day and I've just got back, knackered!

If I may I'll look at the advice in full on Monday, but Guy is right when he says I have an old version of the application, I'm following the version used in the tutorial on this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65075-3d-tutorials/ because I thought it would be useful. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Regards

Hi David,

Pity I can't get to Watford this weekend. I hope it goes well for you!

I'm sure there are tutorials for the modern versions of Blender - I seem to remember following them when i was starting out a couple of years back. I think I just went to blender.org and followed the links in the "education" section. They should take you here:

http://cgcookie.com/blender/get-started-with-blender/

You can ignore CGI-related subjects such as lighting, animation, materials, rendering. Focus on modelling and the user interface.

If you are in Central London this Wednesday evening, the London Area Group of DEMU have a pub meet (not sure where yet but usually within zone 1). I'm normally there with a laptop and if you wanted to come along as a guest I can show you a few of the basics with Blender.

Guy

Archived