Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Ivatt Atlantic C1

attachicon.gifCIMG6520_1.jpg

Dug out a few further pictures of my unlined 62822 from the archives. I do think Ivatt's Atlantics look excellent from any angle, very handsome and with a certain elegance particularly at the cab end. One thing I will concede to Marsh on the LBSCR is that the H2 Atlantics with the curved front running plate perhaps perfected Ivatt's original vision. Strange that the spirit of the GNR's original large boilered policy should make it though to almost the end of steam with a locomotive design which had its origins in the previous century.

attachicon.gifCIMG6526_1.jpg

Simon,

What is the origin of your C1, please? A DJH kit, K's kit or WSM kit? Or scratch-built/modified? 

Is it representative of her during the final run? If so, the tender should be lined (it was borrowed from a K2) and I think their should be an aperture between the front handrail and the tender side. Did she just acquire this lined tender for the run? I've tried to find out more but have drawn a blank. The RCTS states that just three C1s carried 'British Railways' on their tenders. 62822 was the only one to acquire a smokebox door numberplate, in February 1949, and her tender must have been branded then. But which style of GNR type B tender did she tow between that time and November 1950? 

When you visit next week, I'll give you some correct ten-spoke bogie wheels!

All the best.

Absolutely agree. There was very little coverage of it being at Bressingham either so I missed out on seeing it when it was at its furthest south for about fifty years…! Quite why it, the Stirling Single and Henry Oakley can't be at York is beyond me. The original York museum was set up by the LNER for crissake - saving City of Truro and a good number of other pre-grouping locomotives in the process. C'est la vie.

They are all too tall to get in under the wires without expensive dismantling there days, nothing more sinister.

Hi Tony - representative of 62822 in the years leading up to her final run. I had originally intended to line it out but decided I liked the lack of lining. That's a very kind offer RE the bogie wheels, I'll certainly take you up on that. Many thanks.

Anthony that's fair enough - not a swipe at the NRM you understand but a frustration at missing out on the Atlantics so often.

Re origins - no idea. Possibly a combination of one or more kits.

Archived