1:43 Bus, lorries etc

bagpipes331

People who like trad buses might note that Eastbourne corporation was still running a 1950 AEC regal single decker half-cab until the late 1970s. It was used for 'contract jobs', which included ferrying trainee teachers from their college to schools all over East Sussex, so racking-up probably 140 miles a day, over hilly routes. I remember it well from seeing it outside our school gates, distinctive because it wasn't a nice bright Southdown green, or a grubby "mud and dirt" dark green, but blue and yellow, then suddenly one year, cream all over. It has since been privately preserved, then sold back to Eastbourne buses. It is still going strong and is a magnificent thing to ride on - we hired it for a work annual outing to the Bluebell Railway about ten years ago.

Nobody would believe it if a model of it was placed on a 1970s layout alongside a Bristol VR ...... it looked mega-vintage even at the time!

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

• 9 months later...

If anyone wants the Hatchet 1:43 ACE RT, I've got three or four brand new unopened in their blister packs - but with one mirror snapped off (still in the blister pack) for £22 each PLUS Postage. PM me if they're of any interest.

Edited by Giles

I'm looking for a 1/50 model of a 1980's  bus or coach ( but not the Joal Volvo) such as would have been used by a British provincial operator. I don't want ex-LT Routemasters or other "heritage fleet" types. Kit or out-of-the-box, new or secondhand would be fine. Detail and proportion must be good - any suggestions?

I'm looking for a 1/50 model of a 1980's  bus or coach ( but not the Joal Volvo) such as would have been used by a British provincial operator. I don't want ex-LT Routemasters or other "heritage fleet" types. Kit or out-of-the-box, new or secondhand would be fine. Detail and proportion must be good - any suggestions?

Try Marsden Models.

Mike

There were some 1/50 scale double deckers made for the Hong Kong market by S&D Models  - I have a CMB single door Mk 1 Metrobus. Metal body so can be stripped and repainted.  The tropical slider windows are just printed on and as far as I can tell the whole thing is just screwed together. Message me if you are interested. It was also produced in a West MidlandsTravel livery as Mk2 , and in several other London and Provincial liveries.

http://www.britishmodelbuses.com/Models/MCW73203_Metrobus_TWM.htm   Use the arrow to scroll through the many types produced.

Edited by mikeharvey22
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

This Spanish partwork has some British style cabs including a 1950s Leyland Comet, a Thames Trader look-a-bit like, a Leyland export model. Some around on Ebay.

https://www.salvat.com/colecciones/camiones-y-autobuses-españoles/listado-de-entregas.html

The Pegaso Troner models are ripe for converting to the very similar British built Seddon Atkinson Strato, which were very widespread in the 1990s with fleet users including Royal Mail, BOC, Fina, Stobarts as well as a lot of General hauliers. 

• Agree 2

Having looked at the list again the Renault D20/Barrerios were also seen over here sold as Dodge (they were known as Spanish Dodge's) although they rusted quite quickly but suitable for a 1970s layout. Tyson H Burridge had a few including one they recabbed.

The Pioneer mixer looks a good model although that model of cab wasn't seen in the UK the model could be recabbed with something else from the IXO range like the Bedford TK.

Edited by 37114
Spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think Atalya has been mentioned but an Ebay seller has all these for sale at moment which could be seen on British Roads ( albeit they need a few mods!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/charlieccu/m.html?item=274967559730&hash=item400557fe32%3Ag%3Ahp0AAOSwzNJhVHaz&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Dunno who made the  Sherpa ( with protypical dents ) but it was part of a James Bond themed set.

Craig

x2.jpg

x3.jpg

x5.jpg

x4.jpg

x6.jpg

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JCB 3C no.2 said:

I think Atalya has been mentioned but an Ebay seller has all these for sale at moment which could be seen on British Roads ( albeit they need a few mods!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/charlieccu/m.html?item=274967559730&hash=item400557fe32%3Ag%3Ahp0AAOSwzNJhVHaz&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Dunno who made the  Sherpa ( with protypical dents ) but it was part of a James Bond themed set.

Craig

x2.jpg

x3.jpg

Here is what I did with the first 2 shown:

The Leyland Lorry was lengthened and a scratch built body just waiting on the transfers for Sunblest bread I have commissioned 

The van had the dents filled and a repaint 20211029_115514.jpg.c16a0e3c7c5e8f4fda49e16ee8e51eae.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, JCB 3C no.2 said:

x4.jpg

There is a van version of this which is more easily adapted. They do come up on ebay although I've not bought from abroad post Brexit and duty issues.

Some related stuff on this thread:

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 37114 said:

The Leyland Lorry was lengthened and a scratch built body just waiting on the transfers for Sunblest bread I have commissioned 

20211029_115514.jpg.c16a0e3c7c5e8f4fda49e16ee8e51eae.jpg

What wheelbase did you extend it to please?

I presume generally manufacturers would make a couple of standard sized chassis options than rather than bespoke?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

What wheelbase did you extend it to please?

I presume generally manufacturers would make a couple of standard sized chassis options than rather than bespoke?

Hi, I extended it by 13mm to 84mm which equates to 12ft. Yes generally standard dimensions but there were bespoke options for big enough orders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My mum was on jury service at Snaresbrook back in the seventies and one case she was juror on involved a Sunblest bakeries driver. Not only did they deliver the fresh loaves to the various retail outlets the drivers were tasked with collecting the unsold bread that was going stale. This particular driver hit on the idea of selling the fresh bread to businesses that weren't Sunblest customers and substituting the 'stale' bread to the outlets the fresh bread was intended for. Sunblest got suspicious and had their people follow him around and discovered what he was up to. He was found guilty and got a couple of years inside.

• Informative/Useful 1

The Sunblest FG vans were a staple of 70s Britain street scenes .

They were always driven through town at breakneck speeds, assume drivers were on some sort of bonus.

Looks like they were a rather dull grey in 1960s

Austin FG Sunblest bread van Leyland FG 550  Sunblest bread van and Interplan luton van

Craig

Yep, remember them well. The bottom image is one of the main pictures I used for my van, the transfers are on order.

• Like 2

Sunblest van is  looking good, please post the finished article.

Sunblest pic is from Leyland FG Brochure I have, should have cut out the blue luton van really.

Must admit I would have been tempted to leave dents on the Sherpa as so many vans bear war wounds.

Craig

• Like 1

Sunblest pic is from Leyland FG Brochure I have, should have cut out the blue luton van really.

Must admit I would have been tempted to leave dents on the Sherpa as so many vans bear war wounds.

Craig

Will do re the FG. I did think about the dents on the van but for me they were a bit to extreme and I would have expected other scrapes etc to be present which would be difficult to create realistically. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2021 at 17:38, JCB 3C no.2 said:

Craig

Finished Sunblest FG as promised 

20211114_125218.jpg.974671ee4fb862c7ad6c2aefc507a2e3.jpg20211114_125227.jpg.b22af10664a04a8f8f177fef0b28f51a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1