SR electric

sagaguy

• RMweb Gold

Thought i`d try uploading a couple of pics.post-4249-12555326141475_thumb.jpgpost-4249-12555326396596_thumb.jpg This was built from a couple of poole inlay coaches with BH etched sides & uses an old Farish HST motor bogie!! Ray.

Yup, that's a BR Standard 2EPB alright, with 1 Ton brake, in N Gauge by the look of the track - and my inference that a Farish HST would be N. Up on the arches like that is how they looked round the South London Line, both in the Battersea area, and from Peckham Rye to South Bermondsey Junction. The right habitat!

Yup, that's a BR Standard 2EPB alright, with 1 Ton brake, in N Gauge by the look of the track - and my inference that a Farish HST would be N. Up on the arches like that is how they looked round the South London Line, both in the Battersea area, and from Peckham Rye to South Bermondsey Junction. The right habitat!

Hi ,thanks.Yes ,i forgot to mention the scale.It was the Farish 70`s HST which means i still have another motor bogie to use!!Can`t face the 3rd rail though.Trying to source some decals now.

Hi Ray,

Looking good. You have definately captured the atmosphere of South London! The unit is probably in the livery that suited them the most, and my favourite. I have a DC Kits model to complete in 4mm. I am going to do it as a Tyneside version with the anticipated arrival of the Bachmann RTR one. Once again very good work, what are you going to use the spare bogie for?

Cheers, Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have a DC Kits model to complete in 4mm. I am going to do it as a Tyneside version with the anticipated arrival of the Bachmann RTR one.

Ah the 2Ton brakevan! Somehow these looked more "balanced" than the 1Ton version. I often used to see one on the Sprat & Winkle (West Croydon - Wimbledon) in the short platform at West Croydon.

Hi Ian,thank you,To be honest,I don`t know.I`m hoping that BH or TPM will provide some etches & cab ends for a 2BIL or something.I`ve got all the parts to build a 4CEP but im waiting for Kevin Robertsons books to deliver the new book on SR emu`s for the details.The S.London look is entirly fortuitous,It was a good location to photograph on my layout.More North London line ,me. :)

Ray.

Hi OD,I don`t know if you knew,but the area you mentioned used the trade name of "Elevated Electric" on all the advertising in the 1920`s because it was carried on viaducts & arches!!!

Ray.

Hi OD,I don`t know if you knew,but the area you mentioned used the trade name of "Elevated Electric" on all the advertising in the 1920`s because it was carried on viaducts & arches!!!

Ray.

I beg to differ. It was the Elevated Electric because it used overhead wires. The Brighton used 6.6kV AC but the LSWR and SECR used 660V DC third rail. As the third rail mileage was greater than the overhead wire mileage the Brighton lines were re-electrified. Honest!

Chris

I beg to differ. It was the Elevated Electric because it used overhead wires. The Brighton used 6.6kV AC but the LSWR and SECR used 660V DC third rail. As the third rail mileage was greater than the overhead wire mileage the Brighton lines were re-electrified. Honest!

Chris

Check page 7,"southern Electric"by G T moody,third edition,1960."Elevated Electric was adopted doubtless, because most of the original section was carried on viaduct & embankment".This book,which is still available I believe, is the definitve work on Southern electrics.My copy bought in the early 60`s takes the story up to the Kent coast electrification.

Cheers,Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Check page 7,"southern Electric"by G T moody,third edition,1960."Elevated Electric was adopted doubtless, because most of the original section was carried on viaduct & embankment".This book,which is still available I believe, is the definitve work on Southern electrics.My copy bought in the early 60`s takes the story up to the Kent coast electrification.

Hamilton Ellis, in his history of the LBSCR, notes the substantial amount of viaduct in the route, and that the populace called it the "Overhead Railway", with "Elevated Electric" being used by the LBSCR itself. He further notes it did not mimic an American "L" because it didn't run down the middle of a street, although I always think Brixton feels a bit like that in the Atlantic Road area.

• 2 weeks later...

Sagaguy

If you're lazy like me, I made the third rail by pulling rail from Peco z gauge track. Photo attached shows this on my layout (Meon Combe) with a 2 EPB crossing a 4 TC set (don't know why the 47 was lurking by the signal box!)

Hi,excellent models Tug,not to worry about the 47.Are they vinyl sides or etches.My 4CEP in "n"is being built the masochistic way with BH etches,TPM motor unit & is a steep learning curve. :O

Cheers,Ray.

Hi,excellent models Tug,not to worry about the 47.Are they vinyl sides or etches.My 4CEP in "n"is being built the masochistic way with BH etches,TPM motor unit & is a steep learning curve. :O

Cheers,Ray.

Ray

The 4TC set uses TPM inlays but as no DTC is available, I cut and shut the cab sections from 4-VEP inlays.

The 2-EPB is a bit of a cheat. The pre printed suburban coach sides that were available (may still be?) from the NGS shop ara a close match to the Tyne&Wear EPBs. I cut in the side cab windows in and painted out unwanted windows. Cab fronts are TPM MLV. The sides are printed on clear plastic so are self glazing. Coach skeletons are Minitrix as they are slightly narrower than Farish.

On both sets, roof details are scratchbuilt with Ultima vents. Underframe details part BHE, part scratchbuilt. Bogies on the EPB are hacked up Farish (not yet complete). TC set not motorised (as prototype), EPB motored using BachFar class 170 modified as per G Hedges/N Gauge Modern method.

TC set is normally pulled/pushed by a 33, 73 or a 74 mage from a kit.

I'm part way through a class 205 using Worsley overlays on Minitrix coaches - any interest?

Cheers

tug60069

(John)

Archived