A layout in 24 hours

Andrew1974

Hello everyone.

I am planning to build a layout for my kids...and thought I would share my progress here.

I have given myself 24 hours to complete the project...not a solid 24 hours period but 24hrs split over a number of days.

The plan is as follows:

* 4' x 3' baseboard, so it can be stored under a single bed.

* Single oval of track with loop

* Sidings for goods, locos etc

* Station

* Designed for use with Thomas, Percy and similar

*Buildings to be strong, to withstand use of 2 year old as well as older siblings

I plan to start tommorrow, today I have collected togehter a few materials ready to start.

Hour 1 will be constructing the baseboard, Hours 2 & 3 will be tracklaying and elecrics.

By the end of hour 3 I aim to have a working, but completely un-scenic railway. the remaining 21 hours will be scenics etc.

I'll post tomorrow with my progress....

Any comments, advice etc always welcome

Andrew

Thats quite a challenge you've set yourself, though at least you can allow drying time outside of your allotted 24hrs!

Good luck with making it Twos-resistant.

I have just built a similar small layout for my grandson, who I gave a Farish HST for Christmas.

His 2 year old brother is all hands on - he can't be left alone near rolling stock for a second!

Chris

Hello everyone.

I am planning to build a layout for my kids...and thought I would share my progress here.

I have given myself 24 hours to complete the project...not a solid 24 hours period but 24hrs split over a number of days.

The plan is as follows:

* 4' x 3' baseboard, so it can be stored under a single bed.

* Single oval of track with loop

* Sidings for goods, locos etc

* Station

* Designed for use with Thomas, Percy and similar

*Buildings to be strong, to withstand use of 2 year old as well as older siblings

I plan to start tommorrow, today I have collected togehter a few materials ready to start.

Hour 1 will be constructing the baseboard, Hours 2 & 3 will be tracklaying and elecrics.

By the end of hour 3 I aim to have a working, but completely un-scenic railway. the remaining 21 hours will be scenics etc.

I'll post tomorrow with my progress....

Any comments, advice etc always welcome

Andrew

good luck in building your layout.

Are you sticking to the conventional loop. if so be careful of the radius of the curves, for locos to go round.

I'm using 1st radius set-track curves...all planned stock is shortwheelbase so will go round OK. I'll post the track plan tomorrow.

Andrew

Thats quite a challenge you've set yourself, though at least you can allow drying time outside of your allotted 24hrs!

Good luck with making it Twos-resistant.

I have just built a similar small layout for my grandson, who I gave a Farish HST for Christmas.

His 2 year old brother is all hands on - he can't be left alone near rolling stock for a second!

Chris

I agree with leaving two years olds unattended...but at least it will be 'Thomas' stock rather than my hopefully rather more detailed stuff that he keeps trying to get his hands on. I think it will definately be 'Dad & Son' time when the layout is in use

Andrew

Just wondering how you're going to resist the urge to play (either by client or builder) once the operational stage is reached smile.gif

Good luck.

Don't plan to resist at all.....play time is not included in the 24hrs....(although the wife may disagree!!!)

Andrew

Thanks for all your comments so far.

Day 1. Stage 1 - The baseboard - Time spent approx 1hour 05 minutes

0:00 Timber materials for the baseboard were cut to size. After 15 minutues I had this pile of timber ready to go. The wall behind gives a clue as to what I really should be doing today!

post-8087-12623719121263_thumb.jpg

0:20 Construction of baseboard under way. Two of my 'helpers' aid with the simple task of 'gluing and screwing' the frame together. Frame is 3' x 1' timber.

post-8087-12623719799932_thumb.jpg

0:35 Outside frame complete with board top added. Additional cross members are still to be added. Baseboard top is 9mm MDF.

post-8087-12623720684254_thumb.jpg

0:50 Basic track plan is laid out. The purpose of this is that at a later point I may want to add point motors. If so I didn't want to put any cross members in the way. Location of cross members marked and track removed. Helper no.3 decides he wants some input.

post-8087-12623721976263_thumb.jpg

1:00 Cross members added. Only two at the moment, may add some the other way so that the baseboard looks like 6 squares from underneath. But didn't have any timber for that today.

post-8087-12623723177129_thumb.jpg

At this point the baseboard is complete as it is going to get for now.

Track laying can commence.

As always any comments or questions are welcome

Regards

Andrew

Day 1 - Stage 2a - Starting the track laying. Time spent approx 30 minutes (Total time 1hour 35 minutes)

With the baseboard put together and after some suitable refreshments a start was made on the track laying. The basic oval with loop was set out and some of the track pinned down (that in the extreme left corner in the picture.) A couple of pieces of track needed trimming to size. Before the points are pinned downs holes are to be drilled so that point motors can be fitted later if required)

At this stage it was demanded that a running session be held, so a controller was temporarily attached and Thomas was given a run round the circuit.

post-8087-12623740548868_thumb.jpg

With four helpers in attendance I fear a single circuit will not be enough and I should have gone for a 4 track main line!

Andrew

Track Plan

I thought I would add a track plan so you can all see what I am planning. Given my drawing is not that good, I don't have any track planning software and the layout is quite small I thought a birds eye view of the layout would be the best option.

post-8087-12623744960963_thumb.jpg

As stated in my first post it is basically an oval with loop plus a number of sidings.

All of the track is setrack, all of the plain track being either straight or 1st radius curves, mostly form Peco but with some Hornby. Most of it I've had in a drawer for a number of years although I have had to add a few new bits.

The points are again mostly Peco with one Hornby. The curved points are quite old, are no longer available and are infact 1st radius. The curved points currently available from Peco are 2nd radius. The 1st radius curved point on the main running line has proved essential in fitting the desired plan in the space available.

I've added the station platforms for the picture so you can see where that is going to go. The siding in the top left is going to be the coach siding, for Annie and Clarabel when they are not been used on the branch passenger train. In the middle are two goods sidings. Bottom right is going to be a single road loco shed plus a siding with coal and water faciliites. Bottom left is another goods siding. Top right is going to be a tunnel.

Any questions or comments always welcome.

Tomorrow I plan to finish the track laying and fit the electrics to power the track

Andrew

Day 2 - Stage 2b - Complete the track laying and electrics Time Spent approx 1hour 45 minutes. Total time so far 3 hours 20 minutes

Having made a start at the track laying yesterday I planned to complete it today, plus the electrics so that the layout is useable, although without scenery.

The remainder of the track was pinned down. A few of the sidings needed trimming to size and wiring for the track fitted.

post-8087-12624400253122_thumb.jpg

Once completed it was all tested to make sure all sidings etc were live and there were no dead spots.

The controller is connected to a phone wire which inturn plugs into the layout. This approach is used so that the controller can also be used with other layouts...(details of which I am sure I will get round to posting at some point)...it also makes it easy for the older kids to set up.

This also provides a 16v AC input which I could you for electric points, or pehaps lighting.

My target was to spend 3 hours to get to this stage, I am therefore currently 20 minutes behind schedule.

The next activity is to build the hill / tunnel after which we will start with adding roads, fields,buildings etc

Andrew

Archived