Bachmann V2 running issues

Chrisd346

I have a split chassis V2 that just isn't running well at all. At first it was running very slow. I noticed the valve gear on one side was in bad shape so removed it altogether. It is now running better but only at a medium speed with the controller up full. Are there any known issues that could cause this, I am guessing it must be 20 something years old now. Also, after running for a few minutes the speed greatly decreases and at times I think it is.going to stop altogether.

Can anyone shed any light on these issues?

Many thanks in advance

I would guess that there could be a number of issues but at 20 years for a split chassis, I would say it has had a good life.  Anyway, from personal experience, you might want to check the following:  1) is there a load of crud built up in the axle bearing area, 2) do you have any pick-up metal as identified by the copper colour left in the axle area.  This does wear away over time and then you end up with a high resistance pic-up issue, 3) are the gears clogged up crud, the oil/grease Bachmann use tends to solidify, 4) are the front and rear "pny wheels" freely rotating.  My money would be on 2 and probably 1 

Hi, thank you to you both for your answers!

Having looked at the axle area, there does not seem to be any of this copper material in the axle area, is this likely to be my problem. Is there anyway to rectify this or is it the scrap heap for this one.

Thanks again

Try cleaning the journals and bearings, then treat with Deoxit (available from DCC Supplies) then oil and reassemble.  I never really trusted my split chassis locomotives until I did this.  They now are as reliable and have the slow running characteristics of modern models.

Best regards

Julian

Certainly the lubrication applied by Bachmann can deteriorate with age and when I had running problems with a relatively new split chassis B1 Bachmann technical department suggested cleaning off all traces of existing grease and then re-lubricating (sparingly).  By coincidence my latest Blog is all about removing the grease from a seven year old Class 108 to speed up running.  I have also Blogged in the past about improving the haulage capabilities of the V2 and I am still very supportive of the old split chassis models.

Regards

Ray

All the Bachmann split chassis I think of as 'short life'.

If run a lot, the wear out of the plating on the tyres and in the conductive path of stub axle to half frame puts the most significant limit on life. I needed to clean the black muck out of the bearing surfaces every six months to a year, then sparingly re-lubricate; the 'tell' for when this procedure was required being a noticeable loss of smoothness. The heavier models I had were typically 'all used up' from this cause on average in six years operation.

The plastics used for the axle insulation and gears embrittle over time and fail - doesn't matter whether the model is used or not, or even make much difference what lubricant is used. The plastic detailing inserts in the wheel faces often expand, bow, and then impede the rods. The motors however appear to be unburstable, never had one fail.

All gone now.

Ok guys I will give it a second chance and try all of your suggestions. I guess there is more satisfaction in getting it up and running again!

I will contact Bachmann about the axle spacers, I have always found their customer service to be 1st class!

Sorry Julian, I totally missed your post. I shall try that product, your experience with it is very encouraging.

Thank you all again!

Regarding the Deoxit, if applied to the axle area's of the chassis, is it necessary to oil this area as well? I like the fact that it adds extra conductivity but how well does it lubricate? If oil was added would this hamper the conductive abililty of the deoxit? Hopefully I have made sense!

Archived