Laser scanning and 3D printing narrow gauge rolling stock

I thought there might be some interest in a new modeling company I'm involved with. We're using a combination of laser scanning and 3D printing to create accurate models of narrow gauge locomotives. You can find out more about  the company at: http://www.flexiscale.co/. Our current project is to model the four remaining George England locos at the Ffestiniog Railway. We spent two days at Boston Lodge scanning the locos. We're using Kickstarter to fund the project, you can see the details at:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theflexiscaleco/3d-printed-kits-of-the-ffestiniog-englands-from-la

We're hoping that combining laser scanning and 3D printing will enable us to produce interesting models for a wide variety of prototypes.

Dan 

Its very very interesting.  Following with great interest.  Even though the model been made is not of interest probably  still will invest.  

Thanks ctc, glad you find the project interesting. You can, of course, nominate your own prototype as a future Flexiscale project and if it gets enough support we'll try to make it happen.

I'm sort of baffled by the Nn3 stuff. If the thing is scanned and the scan is turned into an accurate model (which itself is always a challenge) you still need to design for a chassis. You couldn't regauge the real ones to metre gauge so I don't see how you'd build an Nn3 version of an accurate model. You'd need to drop down to 4.5mm gauge and probably fairly undersized wheels as well. Even then it looks like wall thicknesses would kill you for 3D printing of some parts.

I can see it works for O and OO9 but the Nn3 one seems to me to be a bit of wishful thinking ?

Alan

I'm sort of baffled by the Nn3 stuff. If the thing is scanned and the scan is turned into an accurate model (which itself is always a challenge) you still need to design for a chassis. You couldn't regauge the real ones to metre gauge so I don't see how you'd build an Nn3 version of an accurate model. You'd need to drop down to 4.5mm gauge and probably fairly undersized wheels as well. Even then it looks like wall thicknesses would kill you for 3D printing of some parts.

I can see it works for O and OO9 but the Nn3 one seems to me to be a bit of wishful thinking ?

Alan

Well, we have some plans there. Stay tuned as they say :-)

Dan

A reminder, we're into the last week of fundraising for this project on Kickstarter - if you're unfamiliar with this, it allows lots of people to donate to make a project  happen. If we can complete our campaign and raise £5000 in the next week, the project goes ahead.

So far, we've had 92 backers who've pledged over £4400 so we're very close. Can you help, even in a small way? In exchange for support, we offer a range of fun and interesting rewards, including newspapers, books and models in a variety of scales.

If you'd like to see kits of all four George England locos in several different scales, take a look and see if you'd like to be involved:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theflexiscaleco/3d-printed-kits-of-the-ffestiniog-englands-from-la

Many thanks to those who've already supported us.

Thanks,

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been following this project with interest too. They have the same 3D scanner as me (Faro Focus), and its a great bit of kit.

Ive just spent the last two weeks down at Bluebell scanning a train for a film, to be used in Visual Effects (as oppossed to being scaled and printed).

• 2 months later...

According to Model Rail Magazine's facebook page Flexiscales next project for proposal is FELL 10100, http://projects.flexiscale.co/project/22/fell-diesel-mechanical-10100

Should be an interesting one for them to design as they obviously wont be able to scan it like they have on the others.

(Please note I have no connection to them, I merely thought this would be of interest)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 8 months later...

I know it's been over a year, but I'd still really like to purchase one of the George England kits. The only problem with this is that apparently I need to be an administrator of the flexiscale website to buy something??? When I click on the 'shop' button on their website it just tells me to sign in. I'm a little confused, if anybody knows what going on, or how I can buy something from the Flexiscale shop, please let me know...

• 8 months later...

Kickstarter have tried to make contact as has Andy York I am going to report this to my Credit Card company at some point. I spoke to him at Warley 13 and he made promises but never delivered, he failed to show at RMWeb Live and Warley this year. He certainly does not reply to emails, facebook or Kickstarter, but has moved on and started a new business.

Hmmm.... Not exactly confidence filling is it?

I've tried messaging him via Kickstarter and Twitter, neither with any results. I have several more avenues to follow up and if it really comes to it, I'm not a million miles from the address that Flexiscale show on their website.

It's a shame to see this project end up in this situation - I gave my hard earned in good faith. So much for community spirit, eh?

Pix

Archived