Pen y Bryn

phil.c

Thanks Don,

I need to get an edging on that curve to tidy it up some. I fact i've spent most of the day working on that area in front of the tunnel, adding foliage, bushes, trees and generally making it look better. I found a signal kit in a box I hadn't looked in for ten years, so I made it and errected it just to the left of the signal box and before the points.

Phil

Nothing like an impending deadline to add a bit of pressure, mind you I don't think anyone had spotted any areas that seemed incomplete.

I find that when the model is as good as this with several points of interest that we tend not to focus on what's not there as there is so much else to see. I look forward to seeing it in print sometime later in the year. 

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have to admit that the majority of the buildings and scenery were done many years ago, I look upon things these days with a different eye, if I were to re-create some of the models today I would spend more time and make them a lot finer and more detailed, it's difficult to do that now without some major up-heaval!

Phil

Hi Just come across this layout Brilliant brings me back to the days

when I used to cycle around S Wales and the Valleys

looking foreward to more

David

Wexford

Thanks David, You must have been pretty fit to cycle around here :)

Steve, it took some doing to get that flag to blow like that :)

Imsforever, the back scene is fom ID.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I can only say "Wow, what a lovely layout"!

Thank you so much for putting your work on here and thanks to Andy Y. for highlighting this layout in the newsletter! I might never have spotted you, otherwise.

Your colliery is a great piece of work in it's own right, may I ask how you tackled it, please? Did you work just from observations of the real thing or did you have plans?

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks John, it's appreciated!

I did'nt know that Andy had Mentioned my layout in the newsletter!

As for the colliery, I worked at Ogilvie and Oakdale collieries when I was younger so I have a little inside information so to speak! A yard worker loading materials for underground when I was sixteen, then a Dowty & Dobson hydraulic prop repairer and then a painter/glazier/signwriter. I left in 1984.

Working in a colliery is an experience, as anyone who has will tell you, lots of stories and situations, I did go underground a few times to paint something or other, and that was another experience!

I had to compromise with my colliery because of the limited amount of space available, so I crammed it all in where I could and it seems to have worked, although I have to say that it's still not finished, the same goes for the rest of the layout.

Phil

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 1