Possible new LT model from Bachmann

TravisM

• 2 weeks later...

I went on the MM site and it is not listed. Radley models do a three car set of 1960 stock using a 1931 trailer. You could add another 1931 or 1927 trailer and form a 4 car set. They are also making a track recoding set with the 1973 trailer.

John Polley was developing one. If you look on the Metromodels web site, on the "Latest News" page, about 1/3rd of the way down there is a picture of 5 bodyshells in primer, the shells being, L to R, Piccadilly '73 Stock, Victoria '67/Northern/Bakerloo '72 Stock, Jubilee '83 Stock, Victoria '09 Stock, and Cravens '60 Stock.

Looks like Phil beat him to it, or they've done a deal.

John Polley was developing one. If you look on the Metromodels web site, on the "Latest News" page, about 1/3rd of the way down there is a picture of 5 bodyshells in primer, the shells being, L to R, Piccadilly '73 Stock, Victoria '67/Northern/Bakerloo '72 Stock, Jubilee '83 Stock, Victoria '09 Stock, and Cravens '60 Stock.

Looks like Phil beat him to it, or they've done a deal.

I cant find this picture on the Metromodels site now, though there are new pictures since I visited last a week or so ago. The 3D printed models have a very rough finish and the painted examples look quite crude. Phil Radley and John Polley seem to work quite independantly so I doubt there would be any deals. Phil's 1960 Cravens has been out for some time and the surface finish will be far superior because they are moulded from resin. Some of his latest models have been mastered using 3D printed models but the person who designs them is careful to smooth and finish them before the moulds are made. 3D printing isnt good with some shapes and details so the skill is knowing what is best added later, or made as separate parts then stuck together. The rubber moulds can then produce a much better finish than straight 3D, their only drawback for the producer being that wear and tear from stretching to extract awkward shapes, can reduce their life and mean those mouldings get slightly longer!

I cant find this picture on the Metromodels site now, though there are new pictures since I visited last a week or so ago. The 3D printed models have a very rough finish and the painted examples look quite crude.

You have to keep in mind that those are not the finished products. I have spoken to John about these models and i seem to recall him saying that they will be better than those shown on the site, though i don't remember his exact words. He also mentioned that the painted cars are done by hand, so the quality might not always be perfect.

Also, the picture that Keith mentioned is this one: http://www.metromodels.net/imag0717.jpg. It can be found on the Latest news page.

You have to keep in mind that those are not the finished products. I have spoken to John about these models and i seem to recall him saying that they will be better than those shown on the site, though i don't remember his exact words. He also mentioned that the painted cars are done by hand, so the quality might not always be perfect.

Also, the picture that Keith mentioned is this one: http://www.metromodels.net/imag0717.jpg. It can be found on the Latest news page.

Thanks for the link, I've seen the 1960 Cravens now, its got the modified headlights they ended with, like the preserved example, Radley's is as original, and the track recording train now has a different arrangement to either. The painted models are captioned as "finish painted" and have been sprayed, obviously by hand, as John isnt a mass producer. It appears extra gloss paint has been put on in an attempt to cover the roughness and that has lost any crispness on the vent details. Not hard to touch up spray over runs so I dont know why it wasnt done. IMHO you'd be better off with unpainted kits and trying to sand them smooth first.

• 5 weeks later...

Having just had some quiet time, SWMBO's out, I've taken a coupling apart, and I can see how neat a design it is and how cleverly the contacts would be accommodated within it. It is also easy to remove them from a car, and they can then be taken apart, but that is rather fiddly, but possible as they are simply clipped together. So retrofitting the necessary contacts and wiring loom as a kit would be within the skills of many modellers. The alternative would be retrofitting the Pullman couplers instead with the necessary contacts pre-installed. Bachmann need to be lobbied hard next weekend to either make the contacts and wiring looms available, or to sell sets of Pullman couplings which owners can fit in place of the contact free ones.

Getting the body off the motor cars isn't too difficult, secured with 3 screws and also by retaining lugs, under the centre of the double windows, but it is harder on the non-driving/trailer cars. where in addition to the retaining lugs under the double windows, there are additional retaining lugs under the single windows at both ends of the car, making a total of 4 per side - a craft knife blade does the trick. both styles of body shell, DM and non-driving, have some screw bosses and stand offs moulded on the ceilings, obviously intended for fitting interior lighting. In the non-driving cars, the contacts from the wheels have small eyelets in their ends where they project above the level of the chassis, making them very easy to wire up without a soldering iron, and simply begging for wiring in to a power/pick-up bus running the length of the train so that all bogies collect current - no more problems with dirty track or stalling on dead frogs..

As there is a motor in each driving motor, and each one has its own decoder socket, DCC users thinking of adding car lighting controlled by a decoder which would need a lighting bus running through the couplings. But the lighting bus could not be end to end as that would mean that it would be connected to the lighting bus from the decoder in the other DM. The obvious thing to do would be to omit lighting bus contacts from the "A" end of the MS car 24087 as that will always be in the centre of the formation whether 4 car or 8 car.

I can't help thinking that the motor unit used in this model is so compact that it leaves Bachmann and/or the LT Museum very well placed to introduce more LT EMU rolling stock, and I would not be surprised if we eventually saw A Stock, COP Stock, R Stock, and possibly even F Stock from Bachmann, all using this same motor unit. It may even be small enough to use in Tube Stock - RTR EFE '38 and '59 Stock?  

I am very tempted by this model, especially as it has two motorized units, so can run as 2 trains into small terminal station on shuttle. I am planning a 'in the future' mini layout, so the museums reasons for having S stock, with an expected life of 30plus years, and various liveries , makes me wonder if Bachmann are going to produce this model for 30 years!

Does make me wonder if the museum will order a lot more models, different numbers and possibly liveries(how long before they change?).

I would not expect museum to commission different models(given why they have chosen the S stock in the first place), ie heritage ones, but Bachmann could easily do so, using what they have learned from this development.

• RMweb Premium

I am very tempted by this model, especially as it has two motorized units, so can run as 2 trains into small terminal station on shuttle. I am planning a 'in the future' mini layout, so the museums reasons for having S stock, with an expected life of 30plus years, and various liveries , makes me wonder if Bachmann are going to produce this model for 30 years!

Does make me wonder if the museum will order a lot more models, different numbers and possibly liveries(how long before they change?).

I would not expect museum to commission different models(given why they have chosen the S stock in the first place), ie heritage ones, but Bachmann could easily do so, using what they have learned from this development.

The have been several S stocks running with special commemorative or advertising liveries that are possible future variations.

Archived