Possible new LT model from Bachmann

TravisM

Just in from an email from hattons

"It’s going to be a very exciting weekend for OO Gauge modellers, with the announcement of the 2013/2014 range from Bachmann this coming Sunday the 10th of March at the Coventry Transport Museum show"

I wonder if there will be news on any LT models ??

S stock maybe ??

If any LT model I would bet MET No 1 as the loco has gained iconic status and will be at a lot of events this year.

XF

I know that an S Stock has been much discussed, but I do think that an LT model from Bachmann is very likely. They obviously have an interest in LT, as their Art Deco platform buildings are Harrow on the Hill (Met), and the ticket hall is Sudbury Town (Picc) They have also released a tube station street level building inspired by the rebuilding of the original City & South London surface buildings on the Kennington to Morden stretch of the Northern Line. Their 57xx pannier in LT livery sells well, If you want one the LT Museum still has the single L89 loco for sale. Their Art Deco bus depot is very LT in style, it actually reminds me of Neasden Depot.

So for me the only question is "How far will they go?".

I suspect if Bachmann do release a LU model, it will be whatever the London Transport Museum thinks they can sell most of, as they will undoubtedly be their biggest seller. There must be a huge market in their shop for LU models - the last time I was there, other than a pencil case and a cushion, there were no models whatsoever of underground trains. Strikingly odd given that is what tourists want to buy, just nobody (other than EFE, and they had none in the shop) produces them.

David

And the LT model was.............

A reissue of the Midnight Metropolitan train set, with a new running number for the loco. 

Given how heavily the previous set was being discounted late last year, and that the L89 loco is still available new from the LT Museum shop, perhaps this might not sell as well as they hoped. After all, there are only so many LT Panniers that you can have on your layout. I've got L89, L91, L:94, L95, L97 & L99 and I'm not sure that I want to buy yet another train set just to get the loco, in fact I'm not sure if I do actually want another at all, even if it is a new running number.

And the LT model was.............

A reissue of the Midnight Metropolitan train set, with a new running number for the loco. 

Given how heavily the previous set was being discounted late last year, and that the L89 loco is still available new from the LT Museum shop, perhaps this might not sell as well as they hoped. After all, there are only so many LT Panniers that you can have on your layout. I've got L89, L91, L:94, L95, L97 & L99 and I'm not sure that I want to buy yet another train set just to get the loco, in fact I'm not sure if I do actually want another at all, even if it is a new running number.

Slightly disappointing news then. Perhaps today was not the day for LT announcements!

Cheers

Shane

Slightly disappointing news then. Perhaps today was not the day for LT announcements!

Cheers

Shane

Perhaps not, but the further they get from 10th January 2013, the further they get from the the Met 150 celebrations, and the less relevant a Met E Class or Bo-Bo will become. Bachmann have been known to spring the odd surprise, but Met No 1 or Sarah Siddons look less likely now, at least to me. I still expect S Stock from them, but as that is still being introduced into service and is likely to be around for at least the next 30 years, time is on their side for that model.

I need to pick a couple up from them too. I've considered my options and I think I'll go for white metal. With resin, you don't get the extra weight and therefore adhesion for the motors. My plan is to use a pair of black beetles with weights hidden in the body of the loco. That should pull 5 dreadnoughts no problem!

AFAIK, the only models that the LT Museum have commissioned to date have been running number variants of existing models, such as L94, and the two special runs of the static EFE 38 tube stock, one for the ELL with the "Mind the Step" notices on the doors, the other of the Heritage 4 car set with "Metropolitan" "Amersham" destination plates. I have no idea if their financial resources would stretch to commissioning brand new from the rail up models.

There are plenty of '59 Tube stock models in the Red White & Blue Corporate livery still available from EFE so I've been told by someone in the "trade", including some on the shelves in the LT Museum shop. Until those are sold through the trade, the Museum may be reluctant to commission anything new. OK, so '59 Tube stock no longer runs and the Coprorate livery was only applied to very few trains, but anyone looking for a souvenir who is not an LT fan will not know the difference nor care that it is not current rolling stock.

For them the time to have the E Class or Bo-Bo on sale was at the start of the year to cash in on the Met 150 celebrations. They have commissioned glassware and various other 150 themed items and these went on sale in the Autumn, but I would have thought that the costs of those items would have been much lower than the cost of commissioning new models, working or otherwise.

If they have done a deal with Bachmann, or with Hornby, Heljan or Dapol come to that, surely they'd have publicised it by now and be taking advance orders? 

"Used to hear  em in the night on the Fairlop Loop."

. . . now that brings back memories to me too. I recall being taken to Leytonstone underground station to see a steam goods train go through from London towards Epping one afternoon

For some reason, my Mum knew the time it was scheduled through. I must have been about 3 or 4 years old, so that makes it about 1959

I also remember, in 1970, the posters going up in the Leytonstone tube booking office, publicizing the withdrawal of the early morning BR passenger service that came down from Epping and went to Liverpool St BR station

"Used to hear  em in the night on the Fairlop Loop."

. . . now that brings back memories to me too. I recall being taken to Leytonstone underground station to see a steam goods train go through from London towards Epping one afternoon

For some reason, my Mum knew the time it was scheduled through. I must have been about 3 or 4 years old, so that makes it about 1959

I also remember, in 1970, the posters going up in the Leytonstone tube booking office, publicizing the withdrawal of the early morning BR passenger service that came down from Epping and went to Liverpool St BR station

You actually saw one .Wow lucky you .I used to hear them laying in bed at night or evening .It must have been at  the coal sidings at Barkingside maybe.I lived in Barkingside though nearer Fairlop station. I  assumed the coal trucks came via London Transport through the tunnels !!!. I later thought maybe I was hearing  the cranes and stock at Hainault depot though I ended up living right next to it . Didnt know about the BR service but really I dont know much about most railways .its a pity thereb isnt a book about  all this .

Martin

Here is my Radley Models Sarah Siddons - a straightforward model to build.

XF

That's some really fine modelling there - well done - but it also shows the shortcomings of the kit. The chassis of the model is way thicker than it should be, and the body has a gap between it and the chassis, especially noticeable under the right hand door

Across the roof and down the sides of the model there are thick bars, the ones on the roof should be a lot thinner and in this picture, the side bars can't be seen

AW03-W.jpg

and it looks like the model's transfers aren't genuine Johnson font

I don't want anyone to think I'm in any way criticizing the making of the model. To me, that scores 10 out of 10. My criticism is for the kit itself. I see the kit costs £100, add your own paint, and that's an awful lot of money, given the quality

Excluding the motor, £25 might be more apt - still this is only my personal opinion

I think RTR gives many more bangs for the buck, but of course, if no RTR does exist, at the moment, it's this kit - or nothing, which is a pity

You actually saw one .Wow lucky you .I used to hear them laying in bed at night or evening .It must have been at  the coal sidings at Barkingside maybe.I lived in Barkingside though nearer Fairlop station. I  assumed the coal trucks came via London Transport through the tunnels !!!. I later thought maybe I was hearing  the cranes and stock at Hainault depot though I ended up living right next to it . Didnt know about the BR service but really I dont know much about most railways .its a pity thereb isnt a book about  all this .

Martin

Yes, if only Mum had had a camera !! Yes, it is a shame there isn't a book. Most subjects of the underground are now covered, so a book on freight over LT metals would be great

This is from  http://districtdave.co.uk/html/district_dave___q8.html

An interesting read

Freight and Coal Workings on the District

This time it's to do with old coal and freight workings on the District line. My own books tell me that 'on 4th June 1971 the last steam hauled train loaded with waste materials left Lillie Bridge depot at 00:15 and trundled to Neasden. It was hauled by ex-GWR pannier tank engine purchased by LT in 1961 and numbered L90.' (Quote taken from 'The Story of London's Underground' by John R. Day and John Reed)

But these are the tales from Q8.....

'I bet you did not know that coal and goods trains used to run in between District trains? So sit back and I'll try to describe the procedure.

As you leave Gunnersbury eastbound and cross over the junction you traverse round the bend until you come to the overbridge by Chiswick Park station. At that point there used to be a double track junction to the third leg of the "triangle" with the North London. This leg (on your left looking east) used to connect to South Acton/Willesden Junction and many years ago was electrified on the LT system for the old LNWR outer circle from Earls Court.

But I digress. Now coal trains from the north used to come round that leg bound for West Kensington goods. I'll come to that shortly. After coming round the leg onto the eastbound DR they'd pass under the overbridge and immediately after so doing would take a track that went straight ahead beside the westbound district. This track ran (non electrified) straight on until the two underbridges beneath the westbound District/Picc embankment. Then using the left hand arch (the right one was not used) they connected with the eastbound Picc. They then traversed the eastbound Picc until immediately after Turnham Green eastbound fast platform and cross left onto the "coal siding" which was situated between the eastbound Picc and the eastbound district where the wide gap between the tracks are now. This accounts for why the eastbound DR from Turnham Green kinks to the left a bit after leaving the platform.

The "coalers" (usually steam hauled by a full sized engine but sometime double headed by tanks) would go along the siding until immediately prior to Stamford Brook station and cross onto the eastbound District. Incidentally you may wonder why they did not use the eastbound District immediately after Chiswick Park overbridge. Well I believe that many years before the war they did but apparently there was some sort of contretemps with a coaler getting stuck in the tunnel there. Anyway the coal train would the pass through Stamford Brook station and trundle along the eastbound District to Ravenscourt Park and there be required to stop. If there was a District train preceding it was not allowed to go down the bank until the DR train had left Hammersmith on account that the wagons on the train were often unbraked. (By-the-by I was told the there were yellow distant signals for the steamers provided between Turnham Green and West Ken but I can't recall seeing any.)

The "Blackmans Express" as they were so called then, no racism intended or meant, then went cautiously down the bank through the covered way and Hammersmith and Barons Court stations until just west of West Kensington and stopped once more. Now at this point there was a junction to the right above the where the Picc goes "down the pipe". After crossing over the westbound District they went under the overbridge (still visible I believe) and into the goods depot behind West Kensington westbound platform and did whatever. Going west was simple compared. They would come out of the West Ken yard and along the WB District all the way to the aforementioned junction at Chiswick Park overbridge. All the track was in situ in 1966 but unused. As an adjunct to that there were two sidings between Barons Court and West Kensington. The eastbound (electrified) one was between the two IMR rooms on the left of the eastbound district. If West Ken yard could not accept the coaler they would stick him in there until they could. The westbound siding came straight out of the yard and ran parallel to the westbound until joining it just before Barons Court station. The eastbound siding was also used to get a dud District train out of the way if needed.

That deals with the coal at the west end of the line.

Now we'll come to goods at the east end. In the days before 1960 the District line controller "lost" you as you left Bow Road as then you came under the LMS controller at Fenchurch Street. As you reached the top of Bow Bank there was a double junction from the right with the LTS (C2C) which enabled their local trains to run east (down) via the DR road. Just before the girder bridge over the now DLR there was a signal right up hard against the bridge girders. If he had a goods coming up from Bow you would be stopped there and watch the performance.

Now some of those goods train were very heavy and required two engines and one could apparently hear them long before they were in sight. They would hove into view under the overbridge down below and slog up the left hand curve of the fairly steep bank where the flats are now to Bromley-By-bow station which joined the District where the IMR is now. Now there was a lot of fun on that bank. If the goods were single headed or not going fast enough when he started the climb he would stall before getting to the top. The procedure then was to roll gently back down for a distance and have another go. In the end they would succeed. While all this was going on you were sitting in the cab watching the entertainment. I was once told by an old driver that on one occasion the District driver fell asleep and was there for a while after the signal cleared and had to be woken up by the driver of a westbound train.

At another time the goods was making repeated attempts to get up the bank and stalling each time. After about the 4th or 5th attempt someone knocked on the centre car/cab door. When he opened it a man in the car said "do us a favour mate, wake us up when it's time to go to work tommerer" Anyhow once the goods was up the bank he'd go through Bromley Station and pass over the girder bridge over the canal. Then he'd come to the double junction with the LTS and cross over to there and come to a second double junction to the right which curved round to where the post office building is now. Then he'd proceed merrily on his way to the docks. I must stress that apart from the disused tracks I never saw any of these shenanigans but had them described to me in detail by the old drivers while on meal relief.

By-the-way in those days the track east of bow road was owned by the main line and their trains always got precedence. There was a mixture of Semaphore and colour light signals and a plethora of connections between the fast and slow lines. Another thing was that every station had a signal box and woe betide you if the oil tail lamp at the rear of the train was not alight. If it wasn't, the station starting signal would not clear until it was lit. You'd be standing there like a spare at a wedding until you realised why you were being held.

The gap under the door is easily fixed, and I suspect it is there because XF has not fixed the body to the chassis so that he can gan access to the motor etc. So that is really just nit picking in my book. But I do agree with your comment on the depth of the chassis. The numerals are not Johnson as the 1 has a Serif and Johnson is a sans serif style as your picture shows.

I suspect that the volumes in which the kit sells are not large, and it is more like a cottage industry than mass production. So in my view, FWIW, it is probably unfair to compare the price with volume produced models from the likes of Hornby, Bachmann etc.and you are being unduly critical about the price.

i have no connection with Phil Radley other being a satisfied customer.

The gap under the door is easily fixed, and I suspect it is there because XF has not fixed the body to the chassis so that he can gan access to the motor etc. So that is really just nit picking in my book. But I do agree with your comment on the depth of the chassis. The numerals are not Johnson as the 1 has a Serif and Johnson is a sans serif style as your picture shows.

I suspect that the volumes in which the kit sells are not large, and it is more like a cottage industry than mass production. So in my view, FWIW, it is probably unfair to compare the price with volume produced models from the likes of Hornby, Bachmann etc.and you are being unduly critical about the price.

i have no connection with Phil Radley other being a satisfied customer.

The gap that I have just noticed is because I have ftited a decoder and used are harness so it is a tight fit and not a generic problem with the kit - Now where is that screwdriver?!

XF

Archived