A Bachmann Standard Class 3MT query

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I received a Bachmann Class 3MT 82005 in Western Region Lined Green late crest for chrimbo, which I am very pleased with. However, I normally concentrate my interests on ex. LNER/LMS regions, during the period late 50's to early 60's.

The loco shows the shedcode 89C (W.R. Machylleth), which later became shedcode 6F (M.R.) on 9th Sept. 1963. So if I were to change the shed code on the loco to 6F will this justify my desire for only catering for LNER/LMS region locos, with no other changes to loco colour etc. being required?

Mind you, the shed code number on the Bachmann model is so small you can only read it with a magnifying glass, so maybe I can live with it still reading 89C ;)

Thanks.

Brian

Guest stuartp

I recently serviced an old Triang one of these in lined green for a friend, he'd had it repainted to represent a Darlington example (I think) so there's at least one to go at. Rather less helpfully I can't remember the number, sorry. I'll ask him next time I see him if you haven't turned up the answer by then.

• RMweb Premium

The green, both lined and unlined versions were WR allocated locomotives. I can't recall seeing any images of them off Western Region rails, though realistically they may have crossed occaisionally into local bordering Southern and Midland Regions. There are still IMTS rules though!

At least 2 green 3MTs (82005/6) ended their careers on the Southern - they were sent from the WR to Nine Elms for Waterloo-Clapham ECS & station pilot work in the mid-60s. There were also some working on the S&D (mostly if not all in green) which could possibly have turned up on the SR in the Bournemouth area from time to time.

The Darlington-allocated batch was 82020-29 IIRC, none of which ever carried green livery. Several of these also ended up on the SR, 82029 was one of the last 2 in traffic in July '67, the other being 82019.

Guest stuartp

Yes, even the limited research I've been able to do since my earlier post suggests my friend might have been applying the "it's my trainset" rules in this case. Apologies for getting the OP's hopes up !

• RMweb Premium

You most certainly can justify your green 2-6-2T on a LMR layout. As well as being "real Cambrian" locos they could also be seen at Bangor - I saw 82032/33 on Saturday 18th July 1964 - presumably they'd worked in from Afon Wen.

In June and July 1965 I saw all of Patricroft's allocation working in and out of Manchester Exchange 82000/3/9/31/34. They were withdrawn in November and December 1966. I think they were mainly used on empty carriage workings.

In June and July 1965 I saw all of Patricroft's allocation working in and out of Manchester Exchange 82000/3/9/31/34. They were withdrawn in November and December 1966. I think they were mainly used on empty carriage workings.

82003 was one of many(of all classes) that never received the late BR emblem.

82020/1 were originally WR locos in lined green with 8" numerals, ended their days at Nine Elms

82022-5 were originally SR (72A) locos with 9" numerals, ended up at Nine Elms

82026 - 9 were originally NER locos with wider white lining, and 10" numerals, ended up at Nine Elms, 82029 was regarded as Nine Elms best free steamer of the class.

• RMweb Premium

82005 was at Machynlleth until April 1965 (apart from a one month spell at Shrewsbury in 1961).

You most certainly can justify your green 2-6-2T on a LMR layout. As well as being "real Cambrian" locos they could also be seen at Bangor - I saw 82032/33 on Saturday 18th July 1964 - presumably they'd worked in from Afon Wen.

Many thanks for the replies. From the above responses (and bearing in mind Machynlleth was re-allocated to Midland Region shed code 6F in September 1963) would I be correct in thinking that my running of the loco isn't unreasonable? And does anyone know if the loco (82005) would have remained in WR Lined Green after the change to shed code 6F or if it was repainted in any way please? Many thanks

Brian

Just out of interest, did the non-SR locos transferred there receive the extra lamp irons?

Don't think so, as their move was only looked on as short term, for which it prooved for all but 82006 which lasted for 15 months as apposed to 5 for all the rest (82005,20,21,& 33).They all remained in green.

• RMweb Gold

Don't think so, as their move was only looked on as short term, for which it prooved for all but 82006 which lasted for 15 months as apposed to 5 for all the rest (82005,20,21,& 33).They all remained in green.

There is at least one documented example (but sorry, can't remember which one) of a loco with both WR and SR lamp brackets fitted. Not sure if it was an 82XXX, but it certainly looked odd. Will provide the reference if I can remember which book I saw it in...

• RMweb Gold

The Southern Email Group has pictures of the Standard 3MTs which include 82005, 82028 and 82029, all transfers in to the SR. All have extra lamp irons fitted and it would be reasonable to infer from this that all transfers to the SR would have had the extra 2 irons fitted, front and back.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/std3t_01.html

See also this picture of 82006 on Southern Images, also with extra lamp irons (and in use!):

Southern Images

• RMweb Premium

82005 was still in lined green when it passed to the LMR - photo taken 11-9-63 at Machynlleth (p90 of BR Standard Steam in Close-Up Volume 1 Bradford Barton)

Bingo! Many thanks - problem solved! My other option would've been to exchange the loco for a BR Black version, but only early crest is available at the moment. Besides, I quite like the Lined Green and don't like the idea of a swap as it was a special Christmas prezzie. But now I feel justified that it wouldn't look out of place on a LMR layout in it's current livery. The shed code may be a bit iffy (but no doubt there were plenty of examples of drivers still using the old codes even after a change) so I'm not too bothered about that. Besides, the code needs a magnifier to be read anyway...... ;)

Many thanks.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

post-2274-12625357192187_thumb.jpg

A couple of pictures of 82004, recently outshopped after an identity and allocation change and some general 'titivating'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

OK John, now I've seen that you've changed the shed code, please tell how you did it....

Thanks

Brian

OK John, now I've seen that you've changed the shed code, please tell how you did it....

Thanks

Brian

.... well - I do produce transfers !! ;)

(But I don't offer loco renumbering / reallocation transfers for sale - everyone would want something different)!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

The Southern Email Group has pictures of the Standard 3MTs which include 82005, 82028 and 82029, all transfers in to the SR. All have extra lamp irons fitted and it would be reasonable to infer from this that all transfers to the SR would have had the extra 2 irons fitted, front and back.

http://www.semgonlin...m/std3t_01.html

See also this picture of 82006 on Southern Images, also with extra lamp irons (and in use!):

Southern Images

There you go.

I wasn't sure, hence saying only think so, but I like the pic of 82006 at Guildford, I took one of the same loco at Clapham J., but not good enough to print here!!, but it says Christmas 1964 ?? funny, it didn't move south 'till April '65

ps. Look closely at those semg pics, and note the numeral sizes.biggrin.gif

Hi John,

How did you remove the existing shed code before fitting the new one?

Thanks

Brian

post-2274-12625357192187_thumb.jpg

With a cocktail stick and isopropyl alcohol - my preferred method of removing Bachmann markings.

Place cocktail stick in pin chuck for better grip / control.

Dip cocktail stick in IPA and apply to the first character / item to be erased and start rubbing, confining area of rubbing to the character itself as far as possible.

Keep the area being treated and the end of the cocktail stick damp with IPA throughout the operation.

When a build-up of dissolved paint occurs, a quick wipe with a tissue dampened (not wet !) with IPA will remove the residue.

When all lettering elements / residue have been removed you will be left with a shiny patch. This is largely due to the removal of the satin varnish which Bachmann apply to the entire body.

However, a gloss finish is required for the application of the new transfers. I prefer to apply Klear floor lacquer to unify the surface finish before applying the new transfers. In this case, that was all of the green painted areas. The front numberplate and shed plate were already glossy from the removal process.

After the transfers had been applied and given 24 hours to dry, another coat of Klear was applied to the green areas to seal the transfers, and a local spot coat to seal the new number and shed plate markings.

Before all of this I had previously fitted the detail pack; touched-in the unpainted black boiler / firebox pipes with green paint; ditto bufferbeam detail fittings with red; and 'titivated' areas likely to become quickly worn with a little track colour; (vacuum and steam pipes, buffer heads, coupling, access steps, etc.).

The final act, after the renumbering, was to coal-up with real coal fixed with dilute PVA.

When the weather is *much* improved I will do a proper weathering job with the airbrush.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hmmmm no lifting eyes on the front frames under the smokebox,...

post-2274-12626933074021_thumb.jpg

.... and look at that worksplate - whoever screwed that on was a bit cock-eyed !

Now can I be a..ed to design and print a replacement plate transfer?

Regards,

John Isherwood

Archived