Wills new point rodding....

BlackRat

It'll be interesting to see how close to scale it is - one of the reasons point rodding isn't commonly modelled is that it's really very fine indeed in 4mm. The pictures do look promising however.

Adam

• 2 months later...

Not being a fan of modern MAS, I've hoped for a simple point rodding solution for some time. I know there have been etches available, but a plastic kit solution would certainly interest me. I'll look a review and will no doubt buy via the internet as my local model shop doesn't seem to stock anything I ever need!

• 2 weeks later...

Kernows latest newsletter says they expect them next week and it the following details are sourced from that:-

SS89 Wills Point Rodding Kit £10.00 contains: 14 crank bases (choice of 3 heights), 8 assorted crank arms, 2 compensators , 2 complete facing point locks with deflector ramps over one metre of square section rodding with moulded-in supports (A further 2 metres or so of square section rodding with supports will be available as SS90 Point Rodding extension kit £7.50). The parts should be glued together using a proprietary liquid poly cement, and the whole assembly is best fixed to the baseboard using an impact adhesive BEFORE ballasting the track. Although moulded in grey plastic, which represents the galvanised steel of the prototype, the modeller can add a little weathering to help it blend into the scene. The packaging includes a comprehensive set of assembly notes to help the modeller achieve a realistic model of this common prototype.

• RMweb Premium

It would appear the Ratio and Peco don't talk to each other then, as Peco apparently have told at least one retailer to expect this next week.

Trade newsletter received from Peco states that orders are now being accepted from retailers for delivery in the coming week.

The kits are from Wills, so Ratio have no input into this project. Hence some of the confusion listed above.

But ten quid for one metre of rodding, you would be building a layout in a box file to only need one metre, and how many layouts would have only one rod, therefore divide the length by however many points it is supposed to serve. Even the extension kit only gives you a further two  metres for another £7.50p

But ten quid for one metre of rodding, you would be building a layout in a box file to only need one metre, and how many layouts would have only one rod, therefore divide the length by however many points it is supposed to serve. Even the extension kit only gives you a further two  metres for another £7.50p

That's a very good point and I spent a pleasant half-hour coming to the conclusion that my modest 8' x 2' 1970s terminus would need over £70 spent on point rodding and not being a signalling expert, I'd probably have missed some. I'm afraid it's MAS and a couple of resin relay boxes for me.

Trade newsletter received from Peco states that orders are now being accepted from retailers for delivery in the coming week.

The kits are from Wills, so Ratio have no input into this project. Hence some of the confusion listed above.

Both Wills and Ratio are parts of the Peco "empire" and all plastic production and packing is carried out at Buckfastleigh by the Ratio element

If anyone knows the up to date state if play it will be them.

Wally

• RMweb Premium

Both the basic and extension packs are featured in this week's Kernow MRC newsletter with pre-orders invited and photos (probably Peco's own) giving a reasonable idea of what's in the pack.  As it looks good and I need some point rodding anyway I've ordered a couple of each pack and can report back in due course when they arrive.  If they're particularly good and can be retro-fitted (the blurb says fit before ballasting) I might also be able to add rodding as further detail to the existing layout which would be a nice touch.

Looks good although I hope it is not overly complicated. At the location I'm modelling much of the rodding was covered over with walkway planks between the main lines and sidings and so only the bits coming out of the signalbox wall and 'runs' across track to points were visible, which should keep costs down.

Archived