Swanley Junction - Large four track 4mm Southern electric DCC (30' x 12')

Greengiant

• 2 months later...

We have a footbridge that crosses the mid point of the station platforms, so to construct it we bought in some laser cut sides, floors and supports.

To assemble them we laser cut our own gluing jig from 2mm MDF, this holds the sides upright and places the base in exactly the right position, then it is just a simple matter to wick in some super glue.

This is the jig in which the sides will be placed in upside down.

40335007383_95f1148e4d_c.jpg

Two sides and base in place ready for gluing.

46384831815_f2a40d8b14_c.jpg

We also cut some brace and framing sections, these will add some interest and structure to the footbridge.

40335007543_389689ea31_c.jpg

These will be slid over the assembled sides and spaced accordingly, here is one to show how the sides fit in place within the frames.

47247307452_c4e3e9e293_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

At one end of the platform stands the over bridge and ticket office with platform steps and lift shafts.

An initial mock-up was produced to get a feel for sizing and composition, along with some rough cut canopy supports, again to test fitment and composition.

Looking from the London end of the platform and showing the height difference from over bridge to the ticket office. To match this up we will create a stepped end to the over bridge.

33432218338_01564f7518_c.jpg

Now looking towards London, the lift shafts are the blocks closest to the camera.

33432218098_f0e6ed40a4_c.jpg

Looking across to the ticket office.

33432217508_1b8dc8686c_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have started reworking the overbridge so it steps up to the booking office on the embankment.

47326612072_05b6f532c0_c.jpg

Some experimental pieces to try out some effects for the stairway units.

47326612032_aa50ffdf0a_c.jpg

An overview with the canopies starting to make an appearance on the platforms.

32438037967_45923e7669_c.jpg

The lefthand end of the overbridge will be reworked to have a step section to match the booking office end.

32438037877_aa50ffdf0a_c.jpg

This shows the twin gulley section of the canopies and the construction. I elected not to do any of the open framework because once clad with the roofing sheet it won't be seen!

32438037867_aa50ffdf0a_c.jpg

The fascia trims I cut from 1.5mm ply.

47380630702_a3028d7082_c.jpg

33557409298_c21e5ed78b_c.jpg

Many clamps come in handy when assembling the sections to each other, each platform canopy consists of three units, they are joined with dovetail tabs.

33557409148_6780e8192b_c.jpg

Each canopy is just under a metre long.

47380630632_0a57bdbbb3_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 7 months later...

Station canopies have now been given a coat of primer

48919603303_0c7738e5d6_c.jpg

48920136361_33719cc8ee_c.jpg

Platforms have also had a coat of primer and houses have started to appear.

48920136576_edcef3c469_c.jpg

48920342757_7dc39cf5c7_c.jpg

We used the excellent Scalescenes downloadable kit files, these are a very good resemblance to the house in Swanley. To save building time, we recreated the window files as two layers and cut these with a laser in card, then laminated and painted them before finally affixing acetate to the rear.

48919582013_ce2c5491d2_c.jpg

We also made an assembly jig to ensure accurate assembly.

48919584268_bee040463b_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

11 hours ago, Greengiant said:

The main road overbridge has had some initial colour applied...

48920342697_f089a48dfb_c.jpg

...along with the addition of walkway railings.

48920136296_9d75937839_c.jpg

Martin

And work is under way to build the 8 or so shops which will be on the bridge in the background in the top photo. The last two signals are under construction, although btaking considerably longer than I would have liked

• Like 1

I've just stumbled on to this build. My Great Great Grandfather was a Signalman at Swanley Junction from 1872 to 1911. He lived in the Station Cottages with his family. I think they are still there, but from my understanding the current station is in a different position..... Will be keeping a closer watch in future.

Edited by didcot

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, didcot said:

I've just stumbled on to this build. My Great Great Grandfather was a Signalman at Swanley Junction from 1872 to 1911. He lived in the Station Cottages with his family. I think they are still there, but from my understanding the current station is in a different position.....

I think when the line from Chislehurst Junction to Swanley was 4-tracked in the very late 50s, as part of Kent Coast Electrification Phase 1, the former station beyond the junction was replaced with one on the 4-track. 

Thanks for that. I did a trip to Swanley to see if I could find where he lived and worked. The station did strike me as a much later addition and no signal boxes in sight. Being from GW territory I don't know much about the Southern region.

41 minutes ago, didcot said:

I've just stumbled on to this build. My Great Great Grandfather was a Signalman at Swanley Junction from 1872 to 1911. He lived in the Station Cottages with his family. I think they are still there, but from my understanding the current station is in a different position..... Will be keeping a closer watch in future.

Yes the station was moved from the divergence part of the line to a bit nearer London, making Station Road not near the station anymore. We have photos of the old station and the new station being built. In the winter you can can get an idea of the old station because the leaves have fallen from the trees and bushes, not blocking the view so much.

Martin

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, didcot said:

Thanks for that. I did a trip to Swanley to see if I could find where he lived and worked. The station did strike me as a much later addition and no signal boxes in sight. Being from GW territory I don't know much about the Southern region.

No shame there! We all know our own locale rather better!

Between the wars the Southern Railway pushed ahead with third-rail electrification to most suburbs, and to Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings, Portsmouth, Alton and Reading. In Kent it got as far as Maidstone and Gillingham before the Hitler war intervened. Kent Coast was the first major scheme after the war. The two-track section above Swanley was perceived as a bottleneck if traffic levels increased after electrification - as they certainly did. Swanley lost its (modern, dating from the 4-tracking) signalbox in the early '80s, when the Victoria Area Resignalling took place, the Victoria box (actually at Clapham Junction) taking control as far as Borough Green on the Maidstone Line, and I think about Longfield towards Rochester. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lmsforever said:

What a superb layout I look forward to seeing it someday at a show good to to see southern emu,s  .

Thank you. Our first show booking is for our own club show, The Orpington Model Railway Club in January 2021.

Martin

Edited by Greengiant

What a brilliant layout!

Having built a couple of 3rd rail electric layouts in N scale in the '80s (for a friend), then being involved in a large club layout, I have a soft spot for the SR, especially as these models are powered the same way as their prototypes (more or less!).

Keep up the good work,

John.

Hi,

Ive followed this since the start and would like to say, wow, it looks really really good!

Those canopies would be perfect for my layout, are they kits or did you laser cut them yourselves?

However one slight criticism (hopefully constructive) is that your AWS Magnets are the wrong colour, they should be Green rather than Yellow, denoting the extra strength magnets in 3rd Rail areas.

But the rest is fantastic, can’t wait to see it develop more!

Regards,

Simon

The station was moved from the "V" in 1939.  What I don't know is whether it had two or four platforms.  I can remember catching an excursion train from St Mary Cray to the Kent Coast mid 1950s.  I was aged about five and can distinctly recall that it was hauled by an Arthur.  St Mary Cray had two staggered platforms.  I then observed the rebuilding through Petts Woods, when we lost the pedestrian level crossing from Hazelmere Road. I started commuting to prep skool the September after the Phase 1 implementation, when the new St Mary Cray was still unfinished.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2019 at 20:42, Greengiant said:

Station canopies have now been given a coat of primer

48919603303_0c7738e5d6_c.jpg

48920136361_33719cc8ee_c.jpg

Platforms have also had a coat of primer and houses have started to appear.

48920136576_edcef3c469_c.jpg

48920342757_7dc39cf5c7_c.jpg

We used the excellent Scalescenes downloadable kit files, these are a very good resemblance to the house in Swanley. To save building time, we recreated the window files as two layers and cut these with a laser in card, then laminated and painted them before finally affixing acetate to the rear.

48919582013_ce2c5491d2_c.jpg

We also made an assembly jig to ensure accurate assembly.

48919584268_bee040463b_c.jpg

Martin

A Wimpey Type B house, if I'm not mistaken. 

13 hours ago, bbishop said:

The station was moved from the "V" in 1939.  What I don't know is whether it had two or four platforms.  I can remember catching an excursion train from St Mary Cray to the Kent Coast mid 1950s.  I was aged about five and can distinctly recall that it was hauled by an Arthur.  St Mary Cray had two staggered platforms.  I then observed the rebuilding through Petts Woods, when we lost the pedestrian level crossing from Hazelmere Road. I started commuting to prep skool the September after the Phase 1 implementation, when the new St Mary Cray was still unfinished.

Bill

Bill,

The original station had four platforms.

48946500442_d3c5f0f832_z.jpg

Martin

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Ive followed this since the start and would like to say, wow, it looks really really good!

Those canopies would be perfect for my layout, are they kits or did you laser cut them yourselves?

However one slight criticism (hopefully constructive) is that your AWS Magnets are the wrong colour, they should be Green rather than Yellow, denoting the extra strength magnets in 3rd Rail areas.

But the rest is fantastic, can’t wait to see it develop more!

Regards,

Simon

Thank you.

I drew the canopy framework and cut them on my laser from 2mm MDF for the main framework and legs. The legs then had Plasticard strips added to make them look like girders. The fascias are laser cut from 1.5mm ply, the roofing sheet is Slater's corrugated sheeting.

I have no idea about the AWS magnet colour, will ask at the club tonight.

Martin

• Informative/Useful 1