Swanley Junction - Large four track 4mm Southern electric DCC (30' x 12')

Greengiant

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been continuing with the creation of the CAD files for laser cutting the Station footbridge step units. These consist of two sets of step units, made up of a sub base unit which performs the main structure support function as well as locations for the step treads themselves, to the outside of this will be laminated further laser cut panels which will contain the brick and framing details, packed out to various heights using laminations of card, at least that is the plan!

This is the CAD file for one unit..

49020503247_eb7f231b84_c.jpg

The two sub base units taking shape, the step treads in one of them already installed, whether this is a worthwhile exercise or not I don't know because in reality I doubt you will be able to see much further than halfway up the first flight and only if you crouch down low enough and peer under the canopy.

49019779198_1a2a6488d1_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Amazing work, really impressed to see this and not quite sure how I'd missed it!

Are you going to model the traffic lights on the junction end bridge? Gave me a hell of a scare one night, coming up from Otford I'd had greens all the way and then saw the red of the traffic light on the bridge in the dark. Emergency brake application until the green signal came into view!

Edit, they aren't on the bridge, but on the road next to the line and it's a pelican crossing  https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3943545,0.1760958,3a,75y,286.25h,92.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWXtZng9vL2QAroIJjC4tlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Amazing work, really impressed to see this and not quite sure how I'd missed it!

Are you going to model the traffic lights on the junction end bridge? Gave me a hell of a scare one night, coming up from Otford I'd had greens all the way and then saw the red of the traffic light on the bridge in the dark. Emergency brake application until the green signal came into view!

Andi

Thank you Andi.

I think the traffic lights you refer to are actually pedestrian crossing lights. The road they are located on we have taken liberties with to fit on the curved boards and is now a roadway into what will be a builders yard.

Martin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Greengiant said:

Thank you Andi.

I think the traffic lights you refer to are actually pedestrian crossing lights. The road they are located on we have taken liberties with to fit on the curved boards and is now a roadway into what will be a builders yard.

Martin

See my edit in my post :)

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Andi's story reminds me of a driver who had had a comparable experience coming up through Sevenoaks Tunnel. He was approaching the portal when he saw red blinds - and naturally dropped everything, before realising some idiot had left them showing on a unit safely berthed in the up siding.

No driver needs this stuff! 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With all the steps installed in one unit...

49023513337_c870ed6888_c.jpg

...attention turned to the lower infill panels to complete the lower inner wall.

49022788598_1d222d5de9_c.jpg

One of the side outer walls with cutouts for windows, doorway and raised panelling.

49023308976_1e2de356d0_c.jpg

Some of the panels and frames along with a doorway frame.

49023308986_d9d23e65db_c.jpg

Outer panel temporarily in place, brick pillars still to do, plus handrail bending and drilling jig to create.

49023513367_03c8e367d6_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Some awesome stuff :)

What laser cutter do you use? It's an area I'm getting more and more tempted to learn

cheers

Will

Thank you.

I use a diode laser, not as fast as a CO2, but takes up no more space than an A3 printer, can be easily picked up and put in a cupboard. The maximum material size I can get in is 500mm x 300mm, which is more than adequate for my needs. Generally I cut 2mm MDF, 3mm ply and heavy coloured card which does for my modelling needs. I usually work in 7mm and 16mm scales, but getting used to getting stuff done in 4mm the club layout.

I have an Emblaser 2, they now do a much cheaper version called the Emblaser Core, but this is not Class 1 laser machine, i.e. it does not have a safety cutout lid, so you need to wear protective glasses and/or make your own container.

Martin

• Thanks 1

I now have all the outer side pieces done, so I can start gluing these up and then onto painting.

49033131597_0a24bc2a0d_c.jpg

In the main towers there is a small ventilation grill, I tried cutting these as they are but things were a little tight, so I opted to make them in two layers with offset bars. They were also cut with tabs so they will be easier to paint. This is a strip of offset bars with a few spares.

49033131332_658a5d6bfa_c.jpg

When two sets are laid over each other it gives the effect of much finer bars.

49032816223_96d75105af_c.jpg

My next task it is draw the layers for the window frames, these will consist of a base layer of acetate and then probably three card layers to make up the frame shapes and thickness so they fit nicely into the recesses in the wall while not being too deep set back, well that's the plan!

Martin

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• 3 months later...

Windows for the step units are made from three layers of laser cut card.

49487602273_5bd8d9ccbb_c.jpg

Then sprayed with Halfords white primer before being cut from the holding frames.

49488098306_07645d0ed5_c.jpg

The brick walls have been sprayed with Halfords red primer.

49488308387_ac15d58866_c.jpg

Windows dropped in place to see how they will look.

49488308372_ff11088b79_c.jpg

Window cills, frames and panels in white primer, held in place with narrow double sided tape.

49487602113_392708e024_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

44 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I recall being taken to the Bull's Head there for a pint or two. With the daughter of an engineer who Mr Reeve would have known - Allan Barter.

I knew the engineer well, he lived less than half a mile down the road. Knew his son quite well too, but not the daughter.

The Bulls Head has just reopened after being "refurbished". Not been in there for a loong time

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Great layout, well done looks fantastic. What radius curves have you used either end? I ask because I am looking at a new layout in a large shed and thinking about 1600mm as minimum radius. What did you go for?

40 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Great layout, well done looks fantastic. What radius curves have you used either end? I ask because I am looking at a new layout in a large shed and thinking about 1600mm as minimum radius. What did you go for?

Thank you.

The outer curves are about 6’ radius, the inners about 5.5’ radius. The curves also have transition and superelevation which vastly improves the appearance of the trains as they negotiate the curves.

Martin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...