Swanley Junction - Large four track 4mm Southern electric DCC (30' x 12')

Greengiant

15 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

They look excellent!

I remember Swanley station in the mid-'60's - looking good.

Tony

Thank you, very kind to say so.

I am enjoying the process and looking forward to doing the large over bridge section.

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work so far. I may have missed this, but what paint have you used for the concrete panels on the stairs? They look very effective.

Edited by Geep7

5 hours ago, Geep7 said:

Excellent work so far. I may have missed this, but what paint have you used for the concrete panels on the stairs? They look very effective.

Thank you. The base colour is Vallejo 71027 which I think I added a drop of their concrete colour as well.

For the streaking I used a combination of MIG Oilbrusher Starship Filth and Rust, with other bits using WHSmith water colour pencils.

I generally mix the colours on the fly as I go along until i think they look about right, rarely use a colour straight out of the bottle.

49681127212_f41d74c635_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...

Just found this layout.

Swanley is my local station and I have to say you have captured it very well indeed.

The buildings are excellent, the footbridge especially so.

Will you be modelling the trees on the embankments opposite platforms 1 and 4?

10 minutes ago, mopar said:

Just found this layout.

Swanley is my local station and I have to say you have captured it very well indeed.

The buildings are excellent, the footbridge especially so.

Will you be modelling the trees on the embankments opposite platforms 1 and 4?

Thank you and me to, which is why I first drew up the concept.

Yes the embankments and trees are to be modelled. Currently modelling some of the industrial units along Station Approach.

Martin

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have at last got round to making the final version of the overbridge.

First I drew it up as a main base unit for the strength using Adobe Illustrator with the sides as decoration, this way any slot and tab construction is hidden. The Illustrator file I then import into Lightburn and use this to drive the laser cutter.

Windows are yet to be finalised in this version of the drawing.

Overbridge

This is the main beam unit being assembled, the ribs are there under the floor on the real thing, but in reality on the layout they are unlikely to be seen unless you are kneeling on the floor looking up at the layout, but they do also help make the structure rigid.

I had to make the floor in two units because my laser bed is not big enough to do it in one unit.

51641786570_ecb09bfd5b_b.jpg

The main unit test fitted to the step units.

51641589174_e12afecb3f_b.jpg

The windows I am cutting out in a new material to me, that of Polybak, a resin board. This window is cut from 0.6mm Polybak, I have some 0.9mm in stock as well to try.

So far very impressed with how clean it cuts, the thinner bars are 1mm thick, I will try 0.5mm to see if I can get away with it, 0.6mm may be better though.

51640937216_54d97ef445_b.jpg

...to be continued.

Martin

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2021 at 16:57, Greengiant said:

I have now cut all the windows for the overbridge, I cut them from two layers of 0.6mm PolyBak.

I am undecided on wether to leave it floating in mid air or build part of a retaining pillar where it in real like meets the opposite bank of the cutting, but our layout is not wide enough to accommodate the top of the cutting. 

Could you use a transparent rectangle of acrylic or other plastic to support the end of it?

• Agree 1

Hi,

the end of the overbridge will need some form of support.  If left like this it will, inevitably, get caught on something an possibly cause some serious damage to it!  Better safe than sorry, even if it's not quite prototypically correct!

Roja

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Overbridge roofing needing a fixing method that left access should we need to repair the lighting. So I made some fixing plates up from brass.

51688715791_6c0704418a_b.jpg

Plus roof bolts which double as pillars, these made from ally tube and BA bolt threading I had in the spares box.

51688715826_da681c5a77_b.jpg

The plates fitted before the outer roofing is finally fixed. The roof can now be removed by undoing the nuts under the floor.

51687928642_749bc70a7e_b.jpg

Roof bolted down.

51689612155_658cb034c7_b.jpg

Martin

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 months later...

I have only just found this (again). A fantastic layout and so good to see a BR Southern Electric depiction, so well done. I was familiar with Swanley in the 80's, although I never actually worked there but changed trains there many times. You have got it so right, it is outstanding.

Just hoping for more pics??

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

I have only just found this (again). A fantastic layout and so good to see a BR Southern Electric depiction, so well done. I was familiar with Swanley in the 80's, although I never actually worked there but changed trains there many times. You have got it so right, it is outstanding.

Just hoping for more pics??

I'm sure it helps that at least one of the team involved is a former colleague from Beckenham Control. No shortage of understanding about the train operating through this busy junction. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Exhibition day one! 
The normal pre-exhibition rush has paid off. Transformation of basic scenery to active life has occurred. 
After we worked out which trains liked which routes through the fiddle yard and scenic layout, things were running pretty good!

We knew that Lima and Hornby class 73 locomotives would catch on the third rail, with the moulded sanding pipes on the bogies. So these were removed for trouble free running.

Various vehicles were placed around the layout. I soon ran out of them! I am sure we could put 50 and still not have it look crowded. 

7053BEEE-870E-43FA-A25F-B308503A48A3.jpeg

473A84D6-24E4-4734-BB83-62457F77F246.jpeg

• Like 10